2017 Gold Cup Opponents

Gian-Luca

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Ngravs said:

Alvarado 2nd yellow, now what

It has to stand up. If it didn't guys could technically kill each other out there with no repercussions. Then again it's concacaf and they let Malouda play...

So if the refs can't stop FG from playing an ineligible player, why don't FG just use every player on the bench and make multiple subs in and out the game. The FS1 announcer raised this, and he has a good point! This is such a farce.

If Honduras are not awarded a 3-0 win, then they would need to beat us 3-0 to finish ahead of us in the standings after the 3rd game. If they get the forfeit win, they just need to win by a single goal.

The way they are playing, I am not shaking in my boots, but this is still an unfair advantage they will be gifted with - if not against us then other 3rd place teams.

These are the tiebreakers:

1. Goal difference in all group matches
  2. Greatest number of goals scored in all group matches
  3. Greatest number of points obtained in group matches between the teams concerned;
  4. Drawing of lots by the Gold Cup Committee

RIght now we are plus 2, Honduras is -1. We have scored 5 they have scored 0. Being award two extra points and 3 extra goals would change all that of course.

I think it was mistake to get rid of the guest countries invited.  Now we have a situation where non-FIFA members are playing ineligible players on the team.  The tournament was kinda mickey mouse to the Eurocup and Copa America in terms of marketability.  I'd rather eithet CONCACAF force countries to no field ineligible players or bring back guests to make this tournament more interesting to advertisers and Cable companies.  Mont Vic had to make this tournament worthwhile.

The guy has 80 caps and played in two world cups.

How arrogant does this guy need to be to fuck up another federations cup and mess with other national teams.

Especially when those players getting affected in the third place zone, it's a really big deal to those players and teams. 

This guy is a grade A asshole.

Maybe this is my legal mind and ADD kicking in so someone correct me if I am wrong.... Is below a possibility. 

Someone posted Gold Cup rules state a country must appeal a player's eligibility 48 hours BEFORE kickoff. 

Now.... Maybe it was our suits who appealed Malouda's elgibility deeming him ineligible vs us. 

Now.... Maybe Honduras didn't appeal Malouda's inelgibility before the game. So essentially they can't even file a protest because there is no rule they can protest, based on missing the statutory limitation (timeline for ineligible player).....perhaps that's why he saw the field.

Who really knows what happened behind the scenes.

#classicconcacaf 

But man haha would suck to be honduras if the above scenario is true :).

2 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Maybe this is my legal mind and ADD kicking in so someone correct me if I am wrong.... Is below a possibility. 

Someone posted Gold Cup rules state a country must appeal a player's eligibility 48 hours BEFORE kickoff. 

Now.... Maybe it was our suits who appealed Malouda's elgibility deeming him ineligible vs us. 

Now.... Maybe Honduras didn't appeal Malouda's inelgibility before the game. So essentially they can't even file a protest because there is no rule they can protest, based on missing the statutory limitation (timeline for ineligible player).

#classicconcacaf 

That is interesting. 

You would think that would not be necessary when big brother declares the guy ineligible from above.

8 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Now.... Maybe Honduras didn't appeal Malouda's inelgibility before the game. So essentially they can't even file a protest because there is no rule they can protest, based on missing the statutory limitation (timeline for ineligible player).....perhaps that's why he saw the field.

#classicconcacaf 

Most of the time players are found ineligible post game. Not before. 

Surely the 48hrs could not matter since it is generally a retroactive thing. 

4 minutes ago, admin said:

That is interesting. 

You would think that would not be necessary when big brother declares the guy ineligible from above.

I 100% agree but this is Concacaf and it was a "spokesperson" who reported it to Sports Illustrated after they informed FG. 

Maybe they said "hey Canada appealed for their match, but Honduras hasn't". 

Regardless was just a super random possibility. Likely FG just lost their first game to us and said Eff it....we playing for pride for our country we don't care about anything or anyone else. Crazy and interesting situation can't wait to see what happens lol. 

2 minutes ago, admin said:

Most of the time players are found ineligible post game. Not before. 

Surely the 48hrs could not matter since it is generally a retroactive thing. 

Yes agree, I found it a super strange rule also when someone posted it. Maybe it had to do with roster release well before the game? 

For me, this gong show is all on CONCACAF. The fact that Malouda was eligible for the Caribbean Cup, a qualifying tournament for the Gold Cup, and now isn't eligible for the Gold Cup is the starting point of all of this. It makes no sense. Either CONCACAF enforces FIFA cap-tie rules or they don't. To allow him to play in one tournament and then not another makes no sense. It's like they're just making it up as they go along and now they're in the shit as this situation has seriously messed with the integrity of the tournament.

18 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

#classicconcacaf 

Forgive me if I'm mis-reading, but are you saying that they couldn't file a protest after the game if they don't pre-protest it before the game?

Seems like an odd rule, considering starting lineups aren't usually known 48 hours before kickoff.

Couple things here, 

guadeloupe fielded a player in 2007 that previously played for France, everyone knew this and there was no problem. 

Did malouda play for french guiana during gold cup qualifying? If he did then technically they shouldn't have qualified because he's ineligible 

Archived