2017 Gold Cup Opponents

Gian-Luca

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

If Malouda plays and Honduras wins 3-0 by forfeit and we get screwed over for goal difference, I am going to be pissed. 

If they get a 3-0 win we'd be even on goal difference and ahead on goals scored (5 to 3) so they have to beat us to finish ahead either way.

2 minutes ago, jonovision said:

If they get a 3-0 win we'd be even on goal difference and ahead on goals scored (5 to 3) so they have to beat us to finish ahead either way.

That is true, but if they get a forfeit win or any other kind of win they can't finish level with us on points no matter what. It would only be if they draw against FG

1 minute ago, Gian-Luca said:

That is true, but if they get a forfeit win or any other kind of win they can't finish level with us on points no matter what. It would only be if they draw against FG

You're right. I can stop hyperventilating in this paper bag now.

I think they are trying to prove a point with FIFA/CONCACAF, and using the biggest stage they have to make it.  What that point is isn't entirely clear, though...  "We should be considered a country within FIFA!  So that we, uh, can't use French players, like we are, um...  Yeah."

4 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Isnt Vic still in charge of Concacaf?  Maybe he can step in and bring some sense to this stupid situation.

Dangerous for him, I would think, politically, with Canada in the same group.  Wouldn't want to be seen as meddling.  I would think he would delegate this to other tournament officials and stay arm's length.  I think he was hoping that FIFA would take a position which would have allowed him to wash his hands, but they didn't bite.

It is interesting that they would play Malouda in game 2 after initially indicating he would be in the starting 11 against us and then revising that position after being told for sure that he was illegal.  It essentially gifts Honduras the win, while we had to play for ours and got a worse goal differential.

makes the whole development seem like a total joke - and CONCACAF is the butt of it.  How they can permit this to happen is baffling.  It allows FG to decide who in the group they will provide an advantage to.  That alone makes the whole group suspect in terms of the FG results.

If it wouldn't nullify Davies 2 goals, I would argue that all games against them in the group should be declared 3-0 wins to level the playing field.  That is the only outcome that would allow for equal treatment in the group - but even that pads the goals for/against in the event of a tie breaker among the 3rd placed teams.

just a fucking joke that this can take place.

Half time 0-0.

IMO Concacaf should fine FG for flouting the regulation & ban them from the next Gold Cup, but if they award Honduras a 3-0 victory, it seems like they are punishing the other teams in the group who didn't have the fortune to have FG deliberately forfeit the game. Most forfeits for fielding ineligible players are discovered after the fact, not before - and by "most" I mean every forfeit that I've ever heard of at any level of soccer up until now.

1 minute ago, Ngravs said:

The FG vs #FH game is very entertaining, back and fourth Malouda is all over the Honduras defence, could have a couple goals and assists (still 0-0)

If malouda scores does it stay 0-0 on the score sheet? Lol... Honestly don't know.

Archived