2017 Gold Cup Opponents

Gian-Luca

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am still happy with our win, but both CR and Hon looked solid tonight from the portion of their match that I saw tonight.  It definitely brought me back down to earth a bit.  I sure hope we can play a complete game against at least one of them to get a second win.

4 hours ago, dsqpr said:

As I have said before, it is time to let our opponents start worrying about us. Yes, Costa Rica and Honduras are both good teams. But the pressure to win is on them, not us. They can both be beaten. We should be in it to win it, not just to make up the numbers and run scared before everybody else.

Personally, I thought Davies was scary as hell tonight.

I just hope we don't play scared/give too much respect. We've been in positions to win against biger teams in the past (including CONCACAF giants CR/US/MEX) but we change our game completely t the point that it leads to negative soccer. I hope we don't over complicate ourselves going into the next 2 games. 

8 hours ago, koolvid said:

Honduras was scary as hell on the attack. Bryan Ruiz is also individually very good. 

They seem to play on the counter attack. Most of their best scoring opportunities were beautiful chances by Quioto who will usually put some of those in. Hopefully Vitoria/Jakovic can match up well with him.

I feel like not letting 2 or even 1 of those goals would have almost guaranteed advancement as a 3rd place team regardless of what happens in next 2 games. 

Cuba advanced in both 2013 and 2015 with a 1-0-2 record and a goal differential of -2 and -7...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_CONCACAF_Gold_Cup#Ranking_of_third-placed_teams

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_CONCACAF_Gold_Cup#Ranking_of_third-placed_teams

However the bar has been 4 points sometimes..

41 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Not our opponents - at least not until we advance out of the group - but one of the TSNs is showing the US vs Panama game in less than an hr.  Will be interesting to see the strength of those sides.

We will play one of the two if we advance 2nd in our group.

I'm sorry if has been posted somewhere, but I cannot find anywhere (Including CONCACAF site), where the group winners, runner up or best 3rd place teams go for their quarter final and semi final matches. I know that Philadelphia, Phoenix, Pasadena, and Dallas are the host cities. 

6 minutes ago, Vancouver Fan said:

I'm sorry if has been posted somewhere, but I cannot find anywhere (Including CONCACAF site), where the group winners, runner up or best 3rd place teams go for their quarter final and semi final matches. I know that Philadelphia, Phoenix, Pasadena, and Dallas are the host cities. 

If we win the group we play in Philly, second place in the group we play in Phoenix. Third place depends on which other 3rd place team advances. Semis are in Dallas and LA.

5 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Based on what I've briefly seen from the US in their match against Panama, I'd love to play them right now.  Their defending has been pretty brutal.

Besler is having an absolute shocker. Don't expect to see him again given Miazga and Hedges are on the bench.

Archived