2017 Gold Cup Opponents

Gian-Luca

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

They have one aging French great player playing in India and one backup striker for a mid table Ligue 1 team, a few Ligue 2 players and then a bunch of lower division guys.

It would be an interesting match up of their journeymen attackers vs our journeymen back line players.  But really, we should be able to put these guys to the sword.

3 hours ago, Grizzly said:

On what basis are you rating them better than Curacao? They have one aging French great player playing in India and one backup striker for a mid table Ligue 1 team, a few Ligue 2 players and then a bunch of lower division guys. Curacao seems to have a better team with more guys playing on decent clubs in good leagues and less lower division players. We certainly shouldn't take them lightly as there are a few good players and given our history of losing to minnows but we should not overestimate the quality of this team either.

If I use the Elo Rankings. Curacao have 132 points less than French Guiana. Plus French Guiana has made the 2015 Gold Cup Playoffs but had to beat Honduras over 2 legs and it was close (4-3 on aggregate including a 3-1 win at home). 

Curacao hasn't gotten as impressive results over the past 4 years than French Guiana and I think that's why I think French Guiana is better than Curacao. 

Just look at their 2017 Gold Cup qualifying routes.

Çuraçao: Wins: Dominican Republic, @ Guyana , US Virgin Islands, Antigua and Barbuda @Puerto Rico (though it was after extra time) 
Loss: @ Barbados

French Guiana: Wins: Cuba Bermuda @ Haiti  St Kitts
Loss @ Bermuda @Dominican Republic

I look at who Curaçao has beaten and the only impressive win is their win @Guyana. French Guiana beat Haiti 5-2 at Sylvio Cator, I'm expecting them to be better because they have just been better over the past 4 years in Gold Cup qualifying. I think it's just because French Guiana have gotten key results against good opposition and Curaçao hasn't except their WCQ win over Cuba. 

4 hours ago, Blackdude said:

If I use the Elo Rankings. Curacao have 132 points less than French Guiana. Plus French Guiana has made the 2015 Gold Cup Playoffs but had to beat Honduras over 2 legs and it was close (4-3 on aggregate including a 3-1 win at home). 

Curacao hasn't gotten as impressive results over the past 4 years than French Guiana and I think that's why I think French Guiana is better than Curacao. 

Just look at their 2017 Gold Cup qualifying routes.

Çuraçao: Wins: Dominican Republic, @ Guyana , US Virgin Islands, Antigua and Barbuda @Puerto Rico (though it was after extra time) 
Loss: @ Barbados

French Guiana: Wins: Cuba Bermuda @ Haiti  St Kitts
Loss @ Bermuda @Dominican Republic

I look at who Curaçao has beaten and the only impressive win is their win @Guyana. French Guiana beat Haiti 5-2 at Sylvio Cator, I'm expecting them to be better because they have just been better over the past 4 years in Gold Cup qualifying. I think it's just because French Guiana have gotten key results against good opposition and Curaçao hasn't except their WCQ win over Cuba. 

3 hours ago, One American said:

I think the big thing is that they appear to have a striker that can produce. Not a lot of them in CONCACAF. 

The question is which players were playing in many of these matches in the past since it seems these teams only call up their European players sometimes. When I look at the lineups on paper it seems to me that Curacao is the better team but yes these past results are a valid justification for favouring French Guiana. And that is a good point that possibly the best player on French Guiana is their striker and while he has only played 2 games for them he has scored 5 goals, 2 of which were against Honduras.   

On 2017-6-18 at 2:23 AM, harrycoyster said:

I don't understand why people are saying we probably won't get out of the group stage. 3 points advances a majority of the time, 4 points guarantees advancing. There's no way our expected points for FG, Honduras, Costa Rica isn't between 3 and 5.

We SHOULD advance.

2015: We beat Jamaica handily in our recent friendly, are better than El Salvador, and play Costa Rica at home. We SHOULD advance.

2013: Martinique should be 3 points for us and that could get us to advance alone. The game against Panama gives us a chance to seal it with 4 points. We SHOULD advance.

2011: Guadeloupe should be 3 points for us and that could get us to advance alone. The game against Panama gives us a chance to seal it with 4 points. We SHOULD advance. (Note: This year we got 4 points in the group, but unfortunately getting 4 points does NOT guarantee advancing, as you have noted in other posts).

Summary: Some people are saying we probably won't get out of the group stage because they are used to getting disappointed by this team. I find it hard to make predictions for CMNT, and I definitely find it hard to assume we will score goals aside from the minnowest of minnows. No Gold Cup includes those minnows I am thinking about.

9 hours ago, Kent said:

(Note: This year we got 4 points in the group, but unfortunately getting 4 points does NOT guarantee advancing, as you have noted in other posts).

Of course we're the only team to have not made it through with 4 points since they've added that the best 2 third place teams make it through.. And of course it was du to a 90+ goal.

Doesn't effect our group stage, but Roman Torres (who is arguably Panama's best player) announced he will not play in the Gold Cup to limit his game time ahead of the September World Cup qualifiers. It now appears T&T and Honduras are the only teams in the Hex that are bringing A teams to the Gold Cup.

8 minutes ago, Kusch to the Corner said:

So we should expect to have a very competitive game with them.

Jamaica only called in 2 of their 9 MLS players (no Lawrence, Andre Blake, Watson, Barnes, Powell, etc.) and FG played at full strength. So this game tells us that FG is about as good as Jamaica's B team. 

9 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Jamaica only called in 2 of their 9 MLS players (no Lawrence, Andre Blake, Watson, Barnes, Powell, etc.) and FG played at full strength. So this game tells us that FG is about as good as Jamaica's B team. 

I'm a say it before one of the regular pessimists say it "But we should not take this team lightly". Obviously we shouldn't but I'm still predicitong we win this game by 2 goals

1 hour ago, canta15 said:

I'm a say it before one of the regular pessimists say it "But we should not take this team lightly". Obviously we shouldn't but I'm still predicitong we win this game by 2 goals

Should we take them lightly? No. Should we expect to beat a team that just lost to Jamaica's B team? Yes. 

28 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Should we take them lightly? No. Should we expect to beat a team that just lost to Jamaica's B team? Yes. 

that is my point yea

French Guiana lost to Jamaica 2-1 in penalties in the semi finals of the Caribbean Cup. However Jamaica was fielding a pretty weak team I'm pretty sure. F-G will play Martinique (lost 2-1 to Curacao) for third place while Curacao will evidently play Jamaica in the finals, both games are today. 

On 6/23/2017 at 7:36 AM, canta15 said:

I think I would be considered a mild optimist around these parts, but even I wouldn't make such a prediction with confidence. We narrowly defeated Curacao at home by 1 goal. 

I will need a new television for game two if the final of the game against French Guiana is 5-1 for them.

I know I am a newbie to this site but feel confident after watching us dominated Curacao for most of that game and reading the results above that we will win game one and be competitive in the other two, stealing a point and advancing.

25 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

I will need a new television for game two if the final of the game against French Guiana is 5-1 for them.

I know I am a newbie to this site but feel confident after watching us dominated Curacao for most of that game and reading the results above that we will win game one and be competitive in the other two, stealing a point and advancing.

You ARE new here, aren't you ...  ;)

French Guiana beat Martinique 1-0 (Privat scored) for third place. Meanwhile Curacao beat Jamaica 2-1 to win the Caribbean Cup. 

Edit: The more I look at results the more Curacao and French Guiana resemble one another, hopefully similar result vs Canada too. 

32 minutes ago, Ngravs said:

French Guiana beat Martinique 1-0 (Privat scored) for third place. Meanwhile Curacao beat Jamaica 2-1 to win the Caribbean Cup. 

Edit: The more I look at results the more Curacao and French Guiana resemble one another, hopefully similar result vs Canada too. 

FG is a bit more physical, but way slower in the attack.

1 hour ago, harrycoyster said:

FG is a bit more physical, but way slower in the attack.

I'm hoping that they are a little too physical ... the way Guadeloupe was in GC 2011, which allowed us to play 11 vs. 10 for almost the whole match.

Archived