2017 Gold Cup Opponents

Gian-Luca

9 minutes ago, Rheo said:

It's an opinion.  Someone there thinks it's those three.  You might think it's a different three.  I might think it's another three guys.  There is no hard "fact" of who the three biggest stars for Canada are.  

Yeah, and some people also think it's a fact that the earth is flat and you can cure HIV by having sex with a virgin. 

If you were to ask a group of seasoned V's who our top 3 players are you'll be hard pressed to find a top 3 with Edwards in it. Maybe a couple will have AJH or Davies, just cuz they're hot right now. But not all 3, that's just MLS propaganda. 

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ngravs said:

I'm excited to watch Honduras v Costa Rica see what they'll bring before we play them. Should we be hoping for a tie or that Costa Rica run the tables and we go for second?

Barring upsets in other groups, second place gives us a better chance in the quarter-finals than 3rd place or even 1st in our group. Here are the likely opponents (according to me based on the bracket) for each case.

1st - Panama
2nd - El Salvador or Jamaica (whoever finishes 2nd in their group)
3rd - USA or Mexico (based on which other group sends a 3rd place team to the quarters)

I like our chances more vs El Salvador or Jamaica than vs Panama. That being said, of course I am cheering for 3 wins for us, but I think I'll cheer for Costa Rica in their games that aren't against. Plus, it's easy to cheer against Honduras.

19 minutes ago, mrstepp817 said:

Canada always plays the US tough.....but I think 2nd place is a realistic goal...

Sure I suppose. *We have as many draws as losses since our last win against the USA. That's 9 of each. So we are winless in 18 matches against them over the last 32 years.

* Stats don't account for the fact that Hutch was onside.

Just now, Kent said:

Sure I suppose. *We have as many draws as losses since our last win against the USA. That's 9 of each. So we are winless in 18 matches against them over the last 32 years.

* Stats don't account for the fact that Hutch was onside.

Considering where Canada ranks in the pecking order 9 draws vs the 2nd best team in CONCACAF IMO is over-performing....

Kenny Saief withdraws due to injury for the US. Replaced by Chris Pontius. Major downgrade there. Barring a group stage call-in for Nagbe, this is the least dangerous US team on the wings I can ever remember. Arriola and Rowe look to be the starters.

Good news for a potential match up given our weakness at fullback.

1 hour ago, Rheo said:

If you want to get worked up over an MLS puff piece article for it's website then go ahead. I've got better things to worry about.  Cheers.

So, you just admitted to the thing you engaged me to argue against. Have a nice day.

3 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Anthony Loazano of Honduras is close to a move to Barcelona

http://www.beinsports.com/us/laliga/news/barcelona-move-nearing-for-honduras-interna-2/585643

Could this keep him out of the Gold Cup due to injury risk and the deal falling thorugh?

That's gotta be a depth move for Barca. Probably play on their "B" team and get called up to the game day 18 if there are injuries.

13 hours ago, koolvid said:

Pulisic is one of the best prospects for his age globally but isn't elite yet. But if we're talking elite in terms of showing elite play in concacaf competition then Cheech, Dempsey, Guardado, Bryan Ruiz are probably the top today.

I think Pulisic, Chicarito and Vela are pretty unarguably the best attacking players from CONCACAF. Pulisic was better than Ruiz last season.

Pulisic: 2117 minutes in league and Champions League, 4 goals, 8 assists, 1.8 successful dribbles per game, 1 key pass per 90

B Ruiz: 2522 minutes in league and Champions League, 4 goals, 5 assists, .9 successful dribbles per game, 1.2 key passes per 90

And Pulisic was playing against significantly better competition on a regular basis.

44 minutes ago, Rheo said:

If that makes you feel better about yourself sure. See it that way. Cheers

Sure thing Mr. Passive-Aggressive. Now enjoy the rest of your day and try not to start anymore useless arguments.

On 6/18/2017 at 6:21 PM, harrycoyster said:

It is, but teams with three points will advance about 75% of the time. Four points get you to around 95%. 

This is very wrong. Since changing the format to three groups of four teams in 2005, three points secures advancement in 45% of the instances.

You are correct about four points, however. The odds do sit at roughly 95% (15/16). The one blemish? Canada, 2011.

4 hours ago, CarbonBasedEntity said:

This is very wrong. Since changing the format to three groups of four teams in 2005, three points secures advancement in 45% of the instances.

You are correct about four points, however. The odds do sit at roughly 95% (15/16). The one blemish? Canada, 2011.

My numbers were based on a Paul Carr from ESPN tweet about the odds to advance with each point amount, not how it has historically played out. My numbers are the mathematical chances, not the historically ones (for example, if we flipped a coin 10 times and it landed on Side 1 7 times, your number would be 70% while mine would still be 50%). Your 45% number is the result of the 2009 Gold Cup having an incredibly statistically unlikely group stage finish.

12 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

I think Pulisic, Chicarito and Vela are pretty unarguably the best attacking players from CONCACAF. Pulisic was better than Ruiz last season.

Pulisic: 2117 minutes in league and Champions League, 4 goals, 8 assists, 1.8 successful dribbles per game, 1 key pass per 90

B Ruiz: 2522 minutes in league and Champions League, 4 goals, 5 assists, .9 successful dribbles per game, 1.2 key passes per 90

And Pulisic was playing against significantly better competition on a regular basis.

I mentioned those names and elite in the context of being good against CONCACAF competition not how they play for their club. Pulisic would probably be the best in that regard outside of maybe Chicharito. But I fear a lot more players than Pulisic in the CONCACAF at the international level. Most of that has to do because the players I mentioned are fully grown and far more experienced than Pulisic. Puli has been fairly quiet against Mexico and Costa Rica in these WCQers but that's to be expected. 

9 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Some more info on French Guiana in this somewhat disdainful and negative Kristian Jack article:

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/canada-has-no-choice-but-to-start-fast-at-gold-cup-1.796999

Disdainful and negative towards Canada, that is.

I don't think he's necessarily wrong (not that you said he was) other than referring to Honduras as a regional powerhouse... He basically says Canada has to win this and if they do, there might be an opportunity for us to build on that. 

Also, (quite fairly IMO) says it's far from a sure thing. Heck, as of today, a $1500 bet on Canada to win would net you $1000. Even on this board, I don't think many of us are confident enough to take that. I think he's being realistic. We really do need to start with a win against the weakest team in our group. The next two games are in Texas so I expect it will be hot and will be basically away games for us. I wouldn't be surprised if we only manage one point from those last two matches which makes the opener a must win. 

These guys don't play much together. If we can get out of our group, we'll have had three matches together as a team and will probably add Larin and Johnson. I think that makes us a more serious proposition but none of that matters if we can't get it done tomorrow. 

I'm excited to have a few meaningful games to watch again and I do think this team is good enough to get out of the group stage but I can't blame him for leaving the optimism up to us. 

27 minutes ago, Rheo said:

https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2017/07/05/gold-cup-mexico-anti-gay-puto-fan-chant-concacaf-plan

Good to see CONCACAF getting in front of this ahead of the tourny with the awareness. 

I personally don't like this. It is just an example of progressivism infecting sports. It makes a big deal out of nothing. 

Let's face it, this soccer chant is not an incitement of violence. To believe so is to take the chant out of context. Of course, I am against any real violence against any group, but there is no violence associated with this, it just the attempted destruction of a soccer tradition because a vocal minority get easily offended and want to control people in order to feel safe.

I would hate to see draconian measures being taken in the future, like closing stadiums as a penalty. That would be taking things way to far, and would be a real shame.

If this was racist fans making monkey noices towards a black player and throwing bananas on the field, it would be different, as the intention is to offend the target for a physical characteristic he has no control over. That is not the context of the "eeeeeeehhhhh...puto" chant. It is literally just a chant at the opposing keeper. If it was reserved for only homosexual keepers it would be different.

So @Rheo, unlike you, I am very sad to hear CONCACAF is capitulating by taking the "progrssive" stance on this. 

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

So @Rheo, unlike you, I am very sad to hear CONCACAF is capitulating by taking the "progrssive" stance on this. 

Games should be a welcoming place not one where one might feel uncomfortable in my opinion.  Agree to disagree 

Archived