2017 Gold Cup Opponents

Gian-Luca

25 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Forgive me if I'm mis-reading, but are you saying that they couldn't file a protest after the game if they don't pre-protest it before the game?

Seems like an odd rule, considering starting lineups aren't usually known 48 hours before kickoff.

Has to do with the fact that the 23 man rosters are released before the tournament, not the actual starting lineup of the match. Ideally this rule is to prevent confusions and match protests in the middle of the group stage because the quick turnover between games.

GC regulation XII.2. says that protests against the eligibility of players must be made no later than 48 hours before the start of the competition

So if concacaf deemed him ineligible, Honduras in theory should not even need to appeal(likely scenario)..... Unless I am missing something where each country in the group stage had to actually file their own separate protest re: inelgible player.

It's concalaugh so who really knows.

I'm just randomly throwing it out their, that there could be a 5% chance: Canada filed a protest and Honduras did not..... Maybe that's why in 2007 with guadaloupe nothing transpired, no team protested that player's eligibility. 

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, admin said:

Now he takes a spot on FG leaving some other player out on the sidelines. 

If he helped them qualify for the Gold Cup, he's not really taking some other player's spot.  Rather, that player is taking up his spot, plus they likely don't qualify for the tournament without him.

Really, the whole thing is a gong show.

CONCACAF Statement - In regards to the election of the French Guiana National Team to field player Florent Malouda in this evening's Gold Cup match against the Honduras National Team, and in line with the CONCACAF Gold Cup 2017 Regulations which are governed by FIFA Regulations pertaining to player eligibility, the matter has been referred to the CONCACAF Gold Cup Disciplinary Committee. The Disciplinary Committee will review the case and render its decision in due time.

https://www.goldcup.org/en/article/concacaf-statement

It will be interesting to see what "in due time" means.  In theory, they could stall until after the tournament and punish FG retroactively, allowing all results to stand as is.

10 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Has to do with the fact that the 23 man rosters are released before the tournament, not the actual starting lineup of the match. Ideally this rule is to prevent confusions and appeals in the middle of the group stage because the quick turnover between games.

GC regulation XII.2. says that protests against the eligibility of players must be made no later than 48 hours before the start of the competition

So if concacaf deemed him ineligible, Honduras in theory should not even need to appeal(likely scenario)..... Unless I am missing something where each country in the group stage had to actually file their own separate appeal re: inelgible player.

Like socceronly stated should be retroactive but it's concalaugh so who really knows.

I'm just randomly throwing out their that there could be a 5% chance: Canada filed a protest and Honduras did not..... Maybe that's why in 2007 with guadaloupe nothing transpired, no team protested that player's eligibility. 

I think that a rival always has to appeal, that is my understanding. If you win, then you do not appeal, you play and move on. And you keep the bullet of the appeal in your belt until you need it. 

What is disgusting is that this decision could directly affect us, and CR. The difference is not huge in fact. If Honduras had three points, a draw would be enough for us. But if they had one point, we would also have to draw, since if we lost and were tied on points, they would get the nod for 2nd for the result against us.

So either way, a result vs Honduras to get a better draw (and less travel) for quarter finals.

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think that a rival always has to appeal, that is my understanding. If you win, then you do not appeal, you play and move on. And you keep the bullet of the appeal in your belt until you need it. 

What is disgusting is that this decision could directly affect us, and CR. The difference is not huge in fact. If Honduras had three points, a draw would be enough for us. But if they had one point, we would also have to draw, since if we lost and were tied on points, they would get the nod for 2nd for the result against us.

So either way, a result vs Honduras to get a better draw (and less travel) for quarter finals.

Actually, goal difference and then total goals are the tiebreakers before head-to-head for this tournament. Which means if the draw stood, Honduras (-1) would have to beat Canada (+2) by 2 goals to finish ahead of us.

17 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

CONCACAF Statement - In regards to the election of the French Guiana National Team to field player Florent Malouda in this evening's Gold Cup match against the Honduras National Team, and in line with the CONCACAF Gold Cup 2017 Regulations which are governed by FIFA Regulations pertaining to player eligibility, the matter has been referred to the CONCACAF Gold Cup Disciplinary Committee. The Disciplinary Committee will review the case and render its decision in due time.

https://www.goldcup.org/en/article/concacaf-statement

It will be interesting to see what "in due time" means.  In theory, they could stall until after the tournament and punish FG retroactively, allowing all results to stand as is.

My 5% hopeful theory officially debunked lol, but it might end up being the same result for this tournament anyways, 0-0 scoreline. 

"in due time" I laughed when I read that. 

Just glad OZ had the boys fired up and ready to play like they did vs FG, regardless ofwho was on the field for FG! :) 

59 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Has to do with the fact that the 23 man rosters are released before the tournament, not the actual starting lineup of the match. Ideally this rule is to prevent confusions and match protests in the middle of the group stage because the quick turnover between games.

So if concacaf deemed him ineligible, Honduras in theory should not even need to appeal(likely scenario)..... Unless I am missing something where each country in the group stage had to actually file their own separate protest re: inelgible player.

I'm just randomly throwing it out their, that there could be a 5% chance: Canada filed a protest and Honduras did not..... Maybe that's why in 2007 with guadaloupe nothing transpired, no team protested that player's eligibility. 

I have a friend in CONCACAF who just told me that no team protested in the 48 hour timeline (prior to the tourney beginning)...

Makes things interesting, and begs the question, can FG appeal when the disciplinary committee forfeits the game? If so, to who? Courts?

Welcome to CONCACAF, guys. This is why we need a Canadian team with the skill and professionalism to overcome bad officiating and nonsense that only exists in this federation. Canada has a very bright future, given how they have played in this tournament. Imagine if Canada can beat teams like Honduras and Costa Rica at home during WC qualifying with expectedly terrible officiating... I think almost any WC-bound team would be wise to take Canada seriously if that were to happen, as it's difficult to get results in Central America.  

The only possible silver lining here is if this spells the end of non-FIFA participation in this tournament. Good thing FG played Malouda tonight, otherwise they might have been held off the scoresheet.

If this ends up with Honduras being given 3 pts and a +3 gd, even if they finish third and don't score in the group stage, it may be enough for them to edge out Martinique, Curacao, or El Salvador as a 3rd place qualifier. Suuuuuper fair. 

Surely we can structure the tournament so that it is only eligible, CONCACAF countries that get to participate.  If you look at WCQ, there are a few perennial teams that make the hex, and a bunch of teams that either are hit or miss for the hex (Jamaica, Panama, etc) or just don't quite make it (us).  Surely a tournament of all those reasonably competitive teams (and maybe a few Carribean countries that aren't quite up to par but which are not punching bags) would be better than this fucking dog's breakfast of invited teams, non-FIFA members, France's cast-off nenbers, the Washington Generals, etc. 

It is our regional championship.  We deserve a competitive tournament that can be run without the goddamn clown-car developments we tend to see, and which would stand up to scrutiny.  If we are serious about developing the game in this region, surely our Federation has a responsibility (and an obligation) to tidy things up that are within their jurisdiction.  That includes cleaning up the GC.

what if concacaf did this:

penalize French Guiana by giving them 0 points and -3 goal differential. But leave the 0-0 result for Honduras. So you penalize French Guiana but Honduras doesn't benefit and no other teams feel cheated by concacaf allowing Malouda to step onto the field in the first place.

1 minute ago, Alex said:

penalize French Guiana by giving them 0 points and -3 goal differential. But leave the 0-0 result for Honduras. So you penalize French Guiana but Honduras doesn't benefit and no other teams feel cheated by concacaf allowing Malouda to step onto the field in the first place.

Not one to defend the Hondurans in any way but they'd argue that Malouda playing caused the 0-0 so they should get the three points as well.  If I was Martinique or Nicaragua, I'd be pissed.  I'm not so much worried about us.

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

I like that idea - it is balanced and reasonable.

Therefore there is a 0% chance it will happen.

The thing that bugs me most about all of this (which your idea would address) is that FG gets to arbitrarily decide which countries they want to award a +3 GD win to at their discretion.  That is so far beyond ludicrous - even for CONCACAF.  We allow a minnow, non-FIFA member into our regional championship, and then give them the exclusive power to hand out wins? Seriously, WTF?

There are plenty of FIFA member nations who aren't in the Gold Cup...figure out a way to not have these "department states" who aren't in FIFA in the tournament....

Haiti, Cuba, Dominican Republic, T&T, Guatemala, Belize...etc....this is a joke on the entire Confederation and if somehow Canada gets screwed here it would be a joke of epic proportions...

36 minutes ago, mrstepp817 said:

There are plenty of FIFA member nations who aren't in the Gold Cup...figure out a way to not have these "department states" who aren't in FIFA in the tournament....

Haiti, Cuba, Dominican Republic, T&T, Guatemala, Belize...etc....this is a joke on the entire Confederation and if somehow Canada gets screwed here it would be a joke of epic proportions...

Dominican Republic is ass compared to those teams buddy. Even Belize

26 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Dominican Republic is ass compared to those teams buddy. Even Belize

I agree BUT they are at least members of FIFA who will at least follow the rules and if they don't there is recourse...FG isn't in FIFA so what is the recourse if they thumb their noses to everyone??? They make a mockery of the tournament.....

It's weird because I feel like the very reason CONCACAF allowed non-FIFA teams in to the tournament in the first place was so that guys like Malouda could play, with the theory being it would elevate the quality of the tournament.  If they no longer wished for guys like Malouda to be in the tournament, they probably should have just banned non-FIFA teams as the same time.

9 hours ago, ditty said:

For me, this gong show is all on CONCACAF. The fact that Malouda was eligible for the Caribbean Cup, a qualifying tournament for the Gold Cup, and now isn't eligible for the Gold Cup is the starting point of all of this. It makes no sense. Either CONCACAF enforces FIFA cap-tie rules or they don't. To allow him to play in one tournament and then not another makes no sense. It's like they're just making it up as they go along and now they're in the shit as this situation has seriously messed with the integrity of the tournament.

Yeah, and even when the news came out they mentioned that the Gold Cup rules changes recently. When did they change? We don't know. It could have been right after Guadeloupe played a player in the same situation 10 years ago (was his name Angloma or something?), or it could have been after Malouda played in the Caribbean Cup for all we know. CONCACAF, please talk to us.

9 hours ago, apbsmith said:

I understand why you are bringing this up, and it is a slight possibility. However, if that is the rule then it would be completely ridiculous. The reality would be that each and every team in the tournament would have to protest his eligibility, in case they face each other in the knockout rounds.

11 minutes ago, Kent said:

I understand why you are bringing this up, and it is a slight possibility. However, if that is the rule then it would be completely ridiculous. The reality would be that each and every team in the tournament would have to protest his eligibility, in case they face each other in the knockout rounds.

Agree completely. Why I said 5% and I never put anything past concalaugh.

Highlights and media reports everywhere saying will be 3-0. Would be supper funny if they (concacaf) found a way to keep it 0-0 though.

Archived