2017 Gold Cup Opponents

Gian-Luca

Thread to discuss who we are playing & post final rosters of our first round opponents as well as those we might play as we progress through the tourney (how's that for optimism?).

Not knowing anything about our first opponent, French Guiana I went to youtube to find some video. I see that they qualified for this tourney by beating Haiti in Haiti 5-2. I think we'd be hard-pressed to score 5 goals against Haiti either in or out of Haiti so I don't think we should take this team lightly or for granted. That said, I really hope they defend like they do on the two Haiti goals which open this video - not only might we score on the run of play, but I could see us having many PK's awarded to us if they like to make challenges like the first one:

Haiti's defense and (surprisingly to me) their goalkeeping was piss poor on the night as well, but the fellow who got the hatrick, Sloan Privat, does play in Ligue 1 and appears to know how to finish.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

heres French Guianas 40 man roster:

French Guiana[edit]

Head coach:  Jaïr Karam &  Marie-Rose Carême

Preliminary List[edit]

#Pos.PlayerDate of birth (age)CapsGoalsClub

GKDonovan Léon3 November 1992 (aged 24)100 Brest

GKJanot Apagui3 November 1983 (aged 33)60 ASU Grand Santi

GKSimon Lugier2 August 1989 (aged 27)00 Saint-Malo

GKJean-Banuel Petit-Homme Matoury

DFMarvin Torvic5 January 1988 (aged 29)261 Campobasso

DFKévin Rimane23 February 1991 (aged 26)141 Paris Saint-Germain B

DFGary Marigard6 January 1988 (aged 29)140 Quevilly

DFJean-David LegrandFebruary 23, 1991 (aged 26)121 Stade Bordelais

DFGrégory Lescot10 May 1989 (aged 28)100 Chartres

DFAnthony Soubervie24 April 1984 (aged 33)91 Chambly

DFInrick Baal10 February 1992 (aged 25)30 Cayenne

DFJosué Albert21 January 1992 (aged 25)10 Quevilly

DFYannick Dorlipo10 Rémire

DFKristoffer Georgin17 August 1992 (aged 24)10 Le Geldar

DFYoann Salmier21 November 1992 (aged 24)10 Strasbourg

DFSimon Falette19 February 1992 (aged 25)00 Metz

DFMarc Rifort25 August 1985 (aged 31)00 Matoury

DFHugues Rosime5 September 1984 (aged 32)00 Matoury

MFMarc Edwige26 September 1986 (aged 30)181 Cayenne

MFSerge L'Espérance9 March 1982 (aged 35)301 Matoury

MFLudovic Baal24 May 1986 (aged 31)103 Rennes

MFMiguel Haabo1 September 1990 (aged 26)91 Black Stars

MFLoïc Baal28 January 1992 (aged 25)80 Belfort

MFSergilio Atooman31 Cosma Foot

MFCédric Fabien31 January 1982 (aged 35)20 Tarbes

MFÉric Sawme14 February 1991 (aged 26)10 Agouado

MFFlorent Malouda13 June 1980 (aged 37)00 Delhi Dynamos

MFAlain Cetoute Cayenne

FWRhudy Evens13 February 1988 (aged 29)385 Le Geldar

FWMickaël Solvi11 January 1987 (aged 30)133 Montjoly

FWRoy Contout11 February 1985 (aged 32)122 Renaissance Berkane

FWAlex Éric21 September 1990 (aged 26)40 Matoury

FWArnold Abelinti9 September 1991 (aged 25)32 Drancy

FWSloan Privat24 July 1989 (aged 27)25 Guingamp

FWJules Haabo10 Étoile Matoury

FWBoris Kong5 August 1991 (aged 25)10 RC Paris

FWSchaquille Dutard21 September 1996 (aged 20) Guingamp B

FWThomas Issorat3 September 1993 (aged 23) Acren

FWWarren Rino Saint-Georges

FWYann Tirilly Rémire

Costa Rica has named a 26 man roster for some reason, which still has to be cut down by 3. Biggest names missing appear to be the two injured Whitecaps and of course their keeper from Real Madrid. Not exactly what I'd call a 2nd string squad but I suppose if Ruiz, Campbell and Gamboa are the three not called then it come closer to that definition.

GK Patrick Pemberton April 24, 1982 (aged 35)330 Alajuelense

GK Leonel Moreira April 4, 1990 (aged 27)60 Herediano

GK Danny Carvajal January 10, 1989 (aged 28)20 Saprissa

DF Michael Umaña July 16, 1982 (aged 34)981 Alajuelense

DF Johnny Acosta July 21, 1983 (aged 33)562 Herediano

DF Giancarlo González February 8, 1988 (aged 29)562 Palermo

DF Cristian Gamboa October 24, 1989 (aged 27)543 Celtic

DF Bryan Oviedo February 18, 1990 (aged 27)331 Sunderland

DF José Salvatierra October 10, 1989 (aged 27)300 Alajuelense

DF Francisco Calvo July 8, 1992 (aged 24)221 Minnesota United

DF Rónald Matarrita July 9, 1994 (aged 22)182 New York City FC

DF Kenner Gutiérrez June 9, 1989 (aged 28)20 Alajuelense

DF Juan Pablo Vargas June 6, 1995 (aged 22)10 Herediano

MF Bryan Ruiz August 18, 1985 (aged 31)9722 Sporting CP

MF Joel Campbell June 26, 1992 (aged 25)7114 Arsenal

MF Randall Azofeifa December 30, 1984 (aged 32)553 Herediano

MF Yeltsin Tejeda March 17, 1992 (aged 25)390 Lausanne-Sport

MF Johan Venegas November 27, 1988 (aged 28)368 Minnesota United

MF David Guzmán February 18, 1990 (aged 27)320 Portland Timbers

MF Rodney Wallace June 17, 1988 (aged 29)193 New York City FC

MF Ulises Segura June 23, 1993 (aged 24)30 Saprissa

MF José Leitón August 6, 1993 (aged 23)00 Herediano

MF Jimmy Marín October 8, 1997 (aged 19)00 Herediano

FW Marco Ureña March 5, 1990 (aged 27)4810 San Jose Earthquakes

FW David Ramírez May 28, 1993 (aged 24)123 Saprissa

FWAriel RodríguezSeptember 27, 1989 (aged 27)101 Bangkok Glass

Just checked some of the FG players. A lot of Ligue 2 types. They have a killer forward in Sloan Ptivat, who is a Ligue 1 vet. He's only played for FG twice. But he has scored 5 goals! A brace against Honduras and a hat trick in Haiti. So if selected, he'll be a handful. 

Their keeper has 50+ games in Ligue 2. 

40 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Going to be a tough group to get out of. I am just hoping we score and look competitive this year.

Honduras has won 1 of their last 8 matches and that was a home win against Nicaragua. Even if we get 4 point in the group (get a point off of Honduras or Costa Rica and beat FG) we are basically guaranteed to advance. Hell, we probably advance with 3 points and a good goal differential. I think it would be a massive disappointment not to get out of the group.

Finish bottom of the group- Disaster. Fire everyone.

Finish 3rd and don't advance- Disappointment.

Lose in Quarters- Met expectations.

Anything else- Get excited about next WC cycle.

8 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Honduras has won 1 of their last 8 matches and that was a home win against Nicaragua. Even if we get 4 point in the group (get a point off of Honduras or Costa Rica and beat FG) we are basically guaranteed to advance. Hell, we probably advance with 3 points and a good goal differential. I think it would be a massive disappointment not to get out of the group.

Finish bottom of the group- Disaster. Fire everyone.

Finish 3rd and don't advance- Disappointment.

Lose in Quarters- Met expectations.

Anything else- Get excited about next WC cycle.

Nobody from team OZ is getting fired at the Gold Cup.  The Wizard will need some time and has been on the field in charge for only one game.  Maybe someone in the CSA can be jettisoned off if we lose every game.

On 6/11/2017 at 6:52 PM, Gian-Luca said:

Thread to discuss who we are playing & post final rosters of our first round opponents as well as those we might play as we progress through the tourney (how's that for optimism?).

Not knowing anything about our first opponent, French Guiana I went to youtube to find some video. I see that they qualified for this tourney by beating Haiti in Haiti 5-2. I think we'd be hard-pressed to score 5 goals against Haiti either in or out of Haiti so I don't think we should take this team lightly or for granted. That said, I really hope they defend like they do on the two Haiti goals which open this video - not only might we score on the run of play, but I could see us having many PK's awarded to us if they like to make challenges like the first one:

Haiti's defense and (surprisingly to me) their goalkeeping was piss poor on the night as well, but the fellow who got the hatrick, Sloan Privat, does play in Ligue 1 and appears to know how to finish.

lol wikipedia has us 4th in our group.....guessing whoever made the page assumes the worst of us! rightly so tbf.

29 minutes ago, ThiKu said:

all i want are some goals as well - it's unlikely we get out of the group stage.

3rd place 3 points minimum. I'd bet we atleast make it out in 3rd

I think it's fortunate that we start vs FG. One friendly a month prior to the tournament is hardly adequate preparation. I expect we'll be pretty rusty. It's set up so that we should still be able to get the full 3 points and 90 more minutes for the guys to play together. I wouldn't be surprised if we wiin ugly like 1-0 but I expect we'll win.

I agree, we should get get out of the group stage. If we can't take 4 points from this group then we deserve whatever three digit ranking Fifa confers on us.   

I hate how people keep justifying that we are better than Honduras because "we beat them on away goals". It was a group that's tiebreaker was GD. Teams play differently when away goals actually matter. Honduras was better than us because they got more points than us

37 minutes ago, canta15 said:

I hate how people keep justifying that we are better than Honduras because "we beat them on away goals". It was a group that's tiebreaker was GD. Teams play differently when away goals actually matter. Honduras was better than us because they got more points than us

Yes, but the point is that it is really close.  I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with 4 points but I also wouldn't be surprised if we got 2 points and went out in the group stage.

1 hour ago, Addona said:

Yes, but the point is that it is really close.  I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with 4 points but I also wouldn't be surprised if we got 2 points and went out in the group stage.

i agree with that but what I'm saying is "we beat them on away goals" is not a good justification on why we are better than Honduras 

11 hours ago, dsqpr said:

I disagree and this is totally the wrong attitude. Sir Alex Ferguson once famously said something about knocking Liverpool off their effing perch when he took over Man Utd. And he succeeded beyond his wildest dreams. Now we aren't Man Utd. but that is the right attitude.

Costa Rica will be tough but they are not unbeatable.

There is not much to choose between us and Honduras. We beat them on away goals in our two WCQ matches. They have had more luck than a four leaf clover in their matches against us. It is time to turn them over.

FG are probably better than most people think but we should definitely be playing for a win there.

You did a pretty good job jumping to conclusions there.

regardless, we just scored 2 goals vs. Curacao, and Curacao should have scored 2 themselves (maybe we should have had 3-4). Our record vs. Honduras and CR in recent history suggests we're unlikely to get out of our group. French Guiana has some quality in their team - better than Curacao likely. We will struggle to get out of our group. My concern with our chances to progress have nothing to do with the players and managers belief in themselves.

10 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

I don't understand why people are saying we probably won't get out of the group stage. 3 points advances a majority of the time, 4 points guarantees advancing. There's no way our expected points for FG, Honduras, Costa Rica isn't between 3 and 5.

We SHOULD advance.

we've been saying this for about 8 years.

11 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

I don't understand why people are saying we probably won't get out of the group stage. 3 points advances a majority of the time, 4 points guarantees advancing. There's no way our expected points for FG, Honduras, Costa Rica isn't between 3 and 5.

We SHOULD advance.

I didn't realize the top three moved on. Thought it was top two. It is still a tough group but not advancing would be a certainly be a major disappointment. All the team's are beatable. 

3 hours ago, ThiKu said:

You did a pretty good job jumping to conclusions there.

regardless, we just scored 2 goals vs. Curacao, and Curacao should have scored 2 themselves (maybe we should have had 3-4). Our record vs. Honduras and CR in recent history suggests we're unlikely to get out of our group. French Guiana has some quality in their team - better than Curacao likely. We will struggle to get out of our group. My concern with our chances to progress have nothing to do with the players and managers belief in themselves.

On what basis are you rating them better than Curacao? They have one aging French great player playing in India and one backup striker for a mid table Ligue 1 team, a few Ligue 2 players and then a bunch of lower division guys. Curacao seems to have a better team with more guys playing on decent clubs in good leagues and less lower division players. We certainly shouldn't take them lightly as there are a few good players and given our history of losing to minnows but we should not overestimate the quality of this team either.

4 hours ago, toontownman said:

I didn't realize the top three moved on. Thought it was top two. It is still a tough group but not advancing would be a certainly be a major disappointment. All the team's are beatable. 

I think its top 2 plus the two best 3rd place finishers.

Archived