What should our gold cup lineup be?

badname22

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, David C. said:

I wonder if Orlando and Dallas pushed to keep Johnson and Akindele?

I still find Ledgerwood and Haber surprises as well.

No. They don't have games during the group stage of the Gold Cup and both teams released equally important players to other national teams.

52 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

Tesho, Johnson ect are good players that are probably on merit better than the ones called in but can you really say they are significantly better?

Johnson and Tesho are MLS starters. That's considerably better than like 1/3 of this roster.

-----------Hoilett-----Ricketts-----------

---Edwards-----Arfield-----Petrasso---

------------------Bernier------------------

--Adekugbe--James--Jakovic---Aird--

------------------Borjan------------------

Subs: Cavalinni for Hoilett, Tiebert for Edwards and Davies for Petrasso (attack)

Subs: Piette for Bernier, Kaye for Arfield and Osorio for Hoilett (defend) 4-5-1

13 minutes ago, hodgkiss said:

Subs: Cavalinni for Hoilett, Tiebert for Edwards and Davies for Petrasso (attack)

Subs: Piette for Bernier, Kaye for Arfield and Osorio for Hoilett (defend) 4-5-1

Airfield is the best player in the squad. Why would we take him off under any circumstances, let alone for a part-time USL player.

11 minutes ago, hodgkiss said:

Adekugbe hasn't played a single professional minute since January and conceded a penalty and got injured in his last game with the Brighton u23s in March. This would be asking a lot of the kid, I think this is DeJong's tournament unless Adekugbe lights up camp.

17 minutes ago, hodgkiss said:

Cavallini needs to start, I personally believe if he was playing in the MLS, he would be lighting it up. Also Davies doesn't play the right side ? So why would he replace petrasso? Edwards is very a interesting debate, he has been awesome during regular season but wasn't so good in the ottawa series and for me he didn't wow me in the  exhibition game 

Blame it on my OCD

CANADA
GK- Maxime Crépeau | CAN / Impact Montréal FC
GK- Jayson Leutwiler | ENG / Shrewsbury Town FC
GK- Milan Borjan | POL / MKS Korona Kielce
FB- Fraser Aird | / Unattached
FB- Samuel Adekugbe | ENG / Brighton Hove & Albion
FB- Marcel de Jong | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
CB- Manjrekar James | HUN / Vasas Budapest
CB- Steven Vitória | POL / Lechia Gdańsk
CB- Dejan Jaković | USA / New York Cosmos
CB- Adam Straith | CAN / FC Edmonton
M- Samuel Piette | ESP / CD Izarra
M- Russell Teibert | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
M- Scott Arfield | ENG / Burnley FC
M- David Junior Hoilett | WAL / Cardiff City FC
M- Alphonso Davies | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
M- Jonathan Osorio | CAN / Toronto FC
M- Mark-Anthony Kaye | USA / Louisville City FC
M- Anthony Jackson-Hamel | CAN / Impact Montréal FC
M- Patrice Bernier | CAN / Impact Montréal FC
M- Raheem Edwards | CAN / Toronto FC
M- Michael Petrasso | ENG / Queens Park Rangers
F- Tosaint Ricketts | CAN / Toronto FC
F- Lucas Cavallini | URU / CA Peñarol

A quote from Will Johnson just before the Curaçao match. We also spoke about how much recovery and prep time (after two serious leg injuries) it takes to get him ready for a match now. I think he would be there if asked/needed, but I wasn't shocked he wasn't selected: 

“I haven’t heard specifically what (Canada’s) plans are or what’s required of my club,” Johnson said on June 11. “Things are tricky in Orlando because we’re a team where every point matters. so we’ll see. Obviously, there will be some sort of an agreement reached and hopefully club and country can agree and we’ll go forward.”

Full story if anyone cares: https://juneof86.com/2017/06/27/canada-mixes-youth-and-experience-for-gold-cup/

cheers, matthew

2 minutes ago, matthew said:

A quote from Will Johnson just before the Curaçao match. We also spoke about how much recovery and prep time it takes now (after two serious leg injuries) it takes to get him ready for a match. I think he would be there if asked/needed, but I wasn't shocked he wasn't selected: 

“I haven’t heard specifically what (Canada’s) plans are or what’s required of my club,” Johnson said on June 11. “Things are tricky in Orlando because we’re a team where every point matters. so we’ll see. Obviously, there will be some sort of an agreement reached and hopefully club and country can agree and we’ll go forward.”

I'll have a story up within the hour. 

cheers, matthew

Glad it is not the case of Zambrano not rating Johnson. 

I think OZ is balancing setting a tone and being successful now and getting a look at the kids. He was in MLS when Johnson was. I think he knows what he brings. He started v Curaçao. If you're going to start Piette and Arfield, you can curry some favour with Orlando by leaving Johnson behind and you can see how Kaye does if he gets a cameo. Plus Kaye gets involved in another camp. I also think that's why Aedkugbe is there. Right now de Jong is the guy, but he's looked at Tissot, Corbin-Ong, Pasher and Awuah. This gives him a chance to look at Adekugbe too.

cheers, matthew

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

Cavallini needs to start, I personally believe if he was playing in the MLS, he would be lighting it up. Also Davies doesn't play the right side ? So why would he replace petrasso? Edwards is very a interesting debate, he has been awesome during regular season but wasn't so good in the ottawa series and for me he didn't wow me in the  exhibition game 

Davies plays both sides. He is good with both feet. Many people have even mistaken his strong foot.

Some eyebrow raisers to be sure. 

• Most disappointed for Tesho. Not sure whats going on there is scoring, assisting and looking like a very neat and well rounded player at both ends of the pitch. Maybe the pace and experience of Ricketts gave him the edge. For me Tesho seems like a much better and versatile choice. We don't get to see what happens in training though. 
  • Adekugbe - I can only assume his inclusion was due to balance and cover. We really don't have much depth at LB and there is certainly a huge amount of potential in Sammy's game. His fitness and lack of minutes is a worry though. 
  • Ledgerwood - would have thought he would be a lock likewise Cordova and Johnson. The latter has time on his side though. We look a bit weak in the depth chart there with just Aird (who really isn't a Right Back) the only real fit there. Edwards maybe? or does one of the CB's, Bernier or Tiebert fit in there? 
  • Kaye and Petrasso - No lack of potential talent there but  more reliable than some of the names left out. Both a gamble but a potential kickstart to their careers. Would again have taken Tesho instead of either but especially Kaye.
  • Happy to see Vitoria in the squad. A lot of hope he can sort our soft centre out. 
  • Hope AJH is good to go. Like the potential in him and Cavallini.
  • Saw Larin was cleared to play in the MLS again today too. 

Overall it is clear and pleasing to see there is definitely attacking intent in the squad picked. There is bags of potential if it can be realised and the team gel. There are many gambles though.  

33 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Davies plays both sides. He is good with both feet. Many people have even mistaken his strong foot.

I haven't seen Davies play the right side ever, they even moved hoilett over to right when they played together,  which looked really good btw.

34 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I haven't seen Davies play the right side ever, they even moved hoilett over to right when they played together,  which looked really good btw.

It's not uncommon for Davies to start on the right side for Vancouver and then swap with Techera about 15-20 min in to the game.  He's definitely played the right side though.

2 minutes ago, hamiltonfan said:

I'd certainly like to see Johnson, Latin, Tesho called for knockout stage.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Cordova if we need coverage at either RB or LB. Word for Octavio is that he wants Juan to settle with his new club to win a starting position. 

It seems like we've got reasonable explanations for everyone except Tesho ...

I think Tesho and Johnson are similar situations. Both are crucial to their clubs at the moment especially with Dallas losing Hedges, Acosta, Zimmerman (injured) and Orlando being a dumpster fire right now.

The easiest explanations are we'll see them for the knockouts.

30 minutes ago, PopePouri said:

I think Tesho and Johnson are similar situations. Both are crucial to their clubs at the moment especially with Dallas losing Hedges, Acosta, Zimmerman (injured) and Orlando being a dumpster fire right now.

The easiest explanations are we'll see them for the knockouts.

I wouldn't use the work crucial to describe Tesho's role with FC Dallas now that Diaz is back, even with Acosta gone. Urruti, Lamah, Diaz and Barrios will be the offensive starters whenever Dallas feels comfortable enough in the health of Diaz and Morales to switch back to their preferred 4-3-3. 

Archived