What should our gold cup lineup be?

badname22

8 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Hoilett's sub on the left wing is probably Davies.  

Davies has played exceptionally well on the right compared to Edwards for their respective clubs

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who agrees with this formation and line up? 

Personally I would have gone with a 4-4-2 

Ricketts — Cavallini 

Hoilett - Bernier - Piette - Arfield

de Jong - Straith - Jakovic- Aird 

Borjan

*I just believe in the past the lone striker up top hasn't worked well for us and why leave off Ricketts In the bench while you can use that quality. Also Straith/Jakovic  over James & Vitoria because even though they play in the NASL; they're playing! As opposed to Manjrekar, Steven haven't had too many appearances in Poland and Hungary respectively. * 

PS: i wish Larin and Johnson were here (for me would be in the starting XI for sure

image.jpeg

Just a quick input on the Edwards/Davies at RW issue; I hope that Canada as a whole are teaching its most promising wingers to cut in from the opposite flank as much as possible from as young age as possible. It's a waste to have our best wingers just run up the flank and put in crosses all day, that's what fullbacks are for.

I get that Edwards has done fantastically as a LWB this season, and as a LW for TFC II previously, but I think any winger can have an even bigger impact in general cutting in inverted from the opposite flank. Agreed that Edwards doesn't seem that comfortable with cutting in from RW generally, especially in the VCup match at Ottawa, though I thought he was quite tidy vs Curacao.

8 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Ability to cut in and shoot or make a play is what elevates Hoilett, Aird and Petrasso above our other wide attackers.  You can't be a one trick pony in Europe.

At the risk of being a fanboy, I would throw Davies in there as well.  He seems to be pretty direct and willing to run at defenders from the wing, rather than just looking to get a cross in at the earliest opportunity.

This was probably discussed many times before, but if Zambrano called up Cordova or Ledgerwood or another proper RB, that could have freed up Aird to go mano-a-mano for the starting RW position vs Davies and Edwards, because he looked damn good there vs Scotland.

12 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Personally I'd rank Edwards below Petrasso and Davies as sub options on either wing.  I think Davies is excellent but Petrasso has better dribbling and has shown an ability to score that Edwards has not.   

Of the guys out of the Olympic qualifying last year, Petrasso was the one newcomer who I thought could make a contribution to the senior squad, so I am happy to see him given a shot here. 

41 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

This was probably discussed many times before, but if Zambrano called up Cordova or Ledgerwood or another proper RB, that could have freed up Aird to go mano-a-mano for the starting RW position vs Davies and Edwards, because he looked damn good there vs Scotland.

Or even will Johnson 

Exactly, the lack of rb options is brutal here. Not a fan of Aird there whatsoever and he has no competition aside from maybe straith.. who I would prefer there. 

On the other hand aird was class against Scotland on the wing.. so why no ledgerwood? Maybe Zambrano told Johnson he would be at rb if called and that's the real reason he bailed. 

I don't see the point of Kaye being in the squad.. where does he slot in? We are full of options on the wings and we have 3 players who can play LB.  very strange 

And then you look at the fact we used petrasso at rb in our scrimmage and lost 3 1 to Nicaragua probably the worst team on paper in this tournament. Hopefully this doesn't hurt us in the group stage 

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/07/07/canada-2017-gold-cup-begins-must-win-game-vs-french-guiana

This link includes a video panel discussion of MLS website scribes but also Sigi Schmid giving their thoughts on Canada going into the Gold Cup.

Yeah, watched that.  They talk about Lucas Carnavali a fair bit. Lol.  Maybe one of you Cdn pod casters could do a hoser parody where we talk about the American stars Dumpsey and Pusillanimous.

Archived