• Created
  • Last Reply

How I figure this team lines up

-Borjan-

-Aird-        -James-       -Vitoria-     -De Jong-

-Piette-       -Arfield-

-Bernier-

-Edwards-              -Cavallini-      -Hoilett-

I figure if AJH is hurt Zambrano won't start him, also as we've seen he's better of the bench.

1 minute ago, Vince193 said:

-Borjan-

-Piette-       -Arfield-

-Bernier-

I figure if AJH is hurt Zambrano won't start him, also as we've seen he's better of the bench.

when I look at the roster i actually (fingers crossed) see some potential for exciting play, a few goals and (dare to dream) a win  or even   . .  two wins

5 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

-Borjan-

-Piette-       -Arfield-

-Bernier-

Switch arfield and bernier and I see it very similar. Davies could get a starting spot somewhere too. Maybe where Edwards is. 

Injuries aside is it common for countries to call up extra players and swap out players when they can in this tournament?

Growing up with the Euros and world cup it's a foreign concept. It seems with the talk on here that it is pretty common in the Gold Cup. 

Not bad, but a couple concerns:

1) I don't think Bernier did nearly enough in the Curacao match to warrant a Gold Cup call up.

2) Aird listed as a FB. In my opinion he should be playing midfield, or heck, even further up the pitch! He shouldn't be in the back four.

3) Too bad no Tesho, Johnson, Larin, Hutch, etc.

4) Not sure Kaye, Adekube, Bernier (as mentioned), or Petrasso (and I love this kid) should be on this roster. This should be Canada's A+ team. Go for the Gold Cup win as far as I'm concerned...

5) Surprised/disappointed no Cordova

5 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

I just don't think Tesho has an obvious spot if Zambrano plays the way I think he's going to. 

And Tesho has not played especially well when he has been given minutes at the national level. He's not fast enough to play on the outside and doesn't seem to be a natural target man at forward.

It would be crazy to play Adekugbe, who has talent but has yet to prove anything on a consistent basis.

But I'm so done with De Jong, he just doesn't do it for me. He's like lukewarm fish, not warm enough for cooked fish, not cold enough for sushi.

1 hour ago, Northvansteve said:

And Tesho has not played especially well when he has been given minutes at the national level. He's not fast enough to play on the outside and doesn't seem to be a natural target man at forward.

He is quicker than you give him credit for but definitely slower than pretty much all the options picked for the wide positions. Wouldn't say he is really that much slower than Davies. 

I'd agree, almost surprisingly he isn't a natural target man. Probably because he is less of a threat in the air than he should be given his size. Looks much better as a withdrawn striker setting up play. He can hold up the ball well though, is neat and calm in possession and has a good eye for a pass. Defenders are drawn to him given his size. 

He was unlucky to be at the start of the glut of names that came into the national setup and I think has got lost in the shuffle. He isn't a starter for us with all players fit and available. He is a good squad player though. He got a few chances and was played all over the front early on. Many of the games he found himself like Larin, the only attacking threat in the team so isolated, ineffective and frustrated. The games did however dry up when Hoilett, Arfied, Aird and Larin started to really emerge. 

I'd love to see this personally, but we won't see it because of Hoilett.

-Borjan-

-James-      -Straith-    -Vitoria-

-Aird-              -Arfield-      -Bernier-     Piette-     -Edwards-

-Jackson-Hamel-  -Cavallini-

This is a pretty fun looking team.

1 minute ago, Vince193 said:

I'd love to see this personally, but we won't see it because of Hoilett.

-Borjan-

-James-      -Straith-    -Vitoria-

-Aird-              -Arfield-      -Bernier-     Piette-     -Edwards-

-Jackson-Hamel-  -Cavallini-

This is a pretty fun looking team.

We won't because of that and its a 3 at the back

10 hours ago, toontownman said:

He is quicker than you give him credit for but definitely slower than pretty much all the options picked for the wide positions. Wouldn't say he is really that much slower than Davies

---

Maybe he is not much slower than Davies over longer distances, but Davies has an incredible burst of speed that I've never seen from Tesho, something that Davies sustains for a good 30 or so yards. Davies is damned fast.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/orlando-city-star-cyle-larin-told-he-can-expect-canada-recall-at-gold-cup-1.3480395

I like that with Zambrano there is transparency in his decisions. All notable omissions are spoken to in this piece. The decisions seem to make sense for everyone except Akindele but he's more experienced than me so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. 

4 minutes ago, king1010 said:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/orlando-city-star-cyle-larin-told-he-can-expect-canada-recall-at-gold-cup-1.3480395

I like that with Zambrano there is transparency in his decisions. All notable omissions are spoken to in this piece. The decisions seem to make sense for everyone except Akindele but he's more experienced than me so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. 

Agreed, knowing his thought process is nice.  As for Larin, there may more punishment (MLS and Canada) for him after trial and that's appropriate but I have no problem bringing him back if they do.  I think both MLS and Canada have handled this right so far.

Also interesting that Will Johnson backed off due to injury.

3 minutes ago, badname22 said:

Also who do you guys prefer in midfield, Osorio or Teibert?

Tiebert is tidier, and better defensively, and has an incredible workrate.

Osorio is more creative but disappears too often.

They bring different things to the pitch. 

Archived