What should our gold cup lineup be?

badname22

9 hours ago, ThiKu said:

Here's what I have for a starting XI. Change to 433 or variation of, as needed - ie, bringing on Edwards, Davies, Bernier, etc etc.

http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=t32n1

De Jong starts as he's been playing. For me our best LB in this formation would be Adekugbe. 

433 is a good shout for an XI - and likely what we'll play based on the Curacao match. But, if we can get Cava-Jackson up top together with Aird and De Jong dropping in balls, and Hoilett buzzing off them we might just have something.

this is the 433 I'd play with these available players - Davies as a "superb sub", Ricketts will fatigue the defender, and Davies can finish him off. Hoilett should be central in our team, not stuck out wide having to cut in past the back 4 and a CDM, IMO. He'd also be a more attacking threat than Bernier. Arfield and Piette behind Hoilett and Jackson will put in the work rate, and provide the service forward well enough no doubt.

I see Jackson starting since he's been close to the squad, and he's playing well. Cava will grow in stature over the course of the tournament we all hope, as he's likely our 2nd best striker, possibly our best (Larin being #1). For me, our MF changes if we have Johnson and not Piette in the XI, but that's not an option right now.

Somewhat surprised Cordova didn't make the squad to see what he can do as a RWB. Or is Petrasso a defender now? Since Jackson is apparently a midfielder according to concacaf, lol.

http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=t32n3

the second ones a bit dodgy with two hoillets but the formation looks pretty good

Edit: I disliked the first one just because I dont like the idea of 4 cm very close together 

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SkuseisLoose said:

the second ones a bit dodgy with two hoillets but the formation looks pretty good

Edit: I disliked the first one just because I dont like the idea of 4 cm very close together 

Not to mention Aird and De Jong would get brutalized on the wings.

On 7/1/2017 at 5:32 PM, SkuseisLoose said:

the wide left should say Davies.

442: then you don't understand either a diamond 442 or a box 442.

Considering Cyle Larin and Will Johnson are not in the squad for the first three Gold Cup matches and Steven Vitoria / Manjrekar James haven't played that much this season in Poland & Hungary respectively, this is what my starting line up would be if I were Head Coach Octavio Zambrano.

CANADA VS FRENCH GUIANA ~ July 7th at Red Bull Arena 

(4-4-2)                           

FW:                Ricketts — Cavallini

MF:    Hoilett – Bernier – Piette – Arfield

DF:    de Jong – Straith - Jakovic - Aird      

GK:                            Borjan 

Subs:   Leutwiler, Vitoria, James, Osorio, Teibert, Davies, Jackson-Hamel

And that's your 18 man roster.

Thoughts? 

There are 3 scrimmages apparently, 30 minutes each. First one ended 0-0, second one ended 3-1 Nicaragua, third one is on now, according to CSA twitter. Arfield got the Canada goal in the 2nd scrimmage.

No idea yet if these are even 11 aside.

11 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

What formation were they playing and who was playing RB? 

Not sure hard to tell, you can watch the 2 halves on the fb page, 

Goals:

Canada scored on a nice give and go 28:30 left in 2nd half vid

Nicaragua 1 (camera isn't facing the play) 26:51 left

2 Off a free kick (bad goal or deflection) 17:15 left

3 Melted on the counter 9:15 left

Watching what I can of the 2nd scrimmage on that facebook link. Unfortunately I can't make out who our keeper or any of our backline are other than maybe James at the back. I can make out Edwards (who unfortunately is playing in the same position on the right against Curacao), Piette and Arfield so far and that's about it. I think Cavallini was the lone striker up front. Osorio appears to have played in scrimmage 2 because of this video the CSA just tweeted:

It's difficult to see who is to blame or what happened on the 3 goals against. The first goal is off-camera altogether.. Canada's goal seems to have been on the short side after a good build-up and link-up play with Cavallini.

0-0 for the 3rd scrimmage. CSA alledges that Osorio had the best two scoring chances in third scrimmage:

More concerned about giving up 3 goals in a short stretch (after we had a 1-0 lead) rather than the lack of goals yet again. Whatever Zambrano tried personnel/formation wise at the back with that 2nd scrimmage it didn't seem to work. Mind you, these sorts of scrimmages are normally to test things out to see what doesn't work and what does (along with building on-field chemistry) , so hopefully we have learned from this. As usual, we've played the fewest number of pre-tourney games of any team in the tourney so I would hope the team improves as they get more familiar.

3 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

Considering Cyle Larin and Will Johnson are not in the squad for the first three Gold Cup matches and Steven Vitoria / Manjrekar James haven't played that much this season in Poland & Hungary respectively, this is what my starting line up would be if I were Head Coach Octavio Zambrano.

CANADA VS FRENCH GUIANA ~ July 7th at Red Bull Arena 

(4-4-2)                           

FW:                Ricketts — Cavallini

MF:    Hoilett – Bernier – Piette – Arfield

DF:    de Jong – Straith - Jakovic - Aird      

GK:                            Borjan 

Subs:   Leutwiler, Vitoria, James, Osorio, Teibert, Davies, Jackson-Hamel

And that's your 18 man roster.

Thoughts? 

well its a 23 man squad

Archived