What should our gold cup lineup be?

badname22

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll start this off. First off I assume (i.e. hope) Hutch isn't done and none of our players are taking the GC off "for personal reasons":

-----------MB----------

--JW--DJ---SV--MD--

-----AH-------RT------

--TA-----SA-----JH--

----------CL----------

General thoughts:

- In general I picked guys would are playing the most regular minutes at the highest level WRT their competition. For instance, Aird may have may have had a superb game against Scotland, but IMO sometimes starter in Scottish League 1 < 12th man on one of the best teams in MLS. 

- Yes I'm still on the WJ at RB bandwagon! Ledgerwood or Attakora would be my replacements at RB if Will is moved into the midfield, but Zambrano prefers to attack and both provides nothing moving forward. All of our other options IMO are either not defensively sound enough (Aird) or not athletic/experienced enough (everyone else).

- Despite not getting much love from the Nats of late (and also some V's), I thought Teibert would be a good fit for Zambrano's preferred 4-2-3-1 for a few reasons. He's quietly been having a decent start to the season, starting in over 1/2 of Vancouver's games thus far. Unlike Bernier he compliments Hutch well in that his engine can allow Hutch to get further forward, and he distribute longer balls out to the flanks whereas Hutch tends to move the ball up the middle. He's also used to the formation.

7 hours ago, A_Gagne said:

I'll start this off. First off I assume (i.e. hope) Hutch isn't done and none of our players are taking the GC off "for personal reasons":

-----------MB----------

--JW--DJ---SV--MD--

-----AH-------RT------

--TA-----SA-----JH--

----------CL----------

General thoughts:

- In general I picked guys would are playing the most regular minutes at the highest level WRT their competition. For instance, Aird may have may have had a superb game against Scotland, but IMO sometimes starter in Scottish League 1 < 12th man on one of the best teams in MLS. 

- Yes I'm still on the WJ at RB bandwagon! Ledgerwood or Attakora would be my replacements at RB if Will is moved into the midfield, but Zambrano prefers to attack and both provides nothing moving forward. All of our other options IMO are either not defensively sound enough (Aird) or not athletic/experienced enough (everyone else).

- Despite not getting much love from the Nats of late (and also some V's), I thought Teibert would be a good fit for Zambrano's preferred 4-2-3-1 for a few reasons. He's quietly been having a decent start to the season, starting in over 1/2 of Vancouver's games thus far. Unlike Bernier he compliments Hutch well in that his engine can allow Hutch to get further forward, and he distribute longer balls out to the flanks whereas Hutch tends to move the ball up the middle. He's also used to the formation.

What about Manjrekar James? He is much better defensively than DJ

Also do you rate Akindele on the wings? I personally don't and would rather  Play Hoilett on the right and Arfield on the left.

8 hours ago, A_Gagne said:

-----------MB----------

--JW--DJ---SV--MD--

-----AH-------RT------

--TA-----SA-----JH--

----------CL----------

General thoughts:

Who's

JW

TA

Aird was our best player in Scotland so he needs to be in the mix.  It would be great if Zambrano could impress upon Hutch of the importance of showing up and helping Canada one last time.  Also Zambrano needs to put some pressure on Tabla and get him to commit to the squad.  Finally as mentioned above we need to pick guys who are actually getting minutes and playing meaningful games.

22 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Aird was our best player in Scotland so he needs to be in the mix

Since than Aird has become a benchwarmer for Falkirk so  I don't think he should be anything more than a 3rd choice RM

25 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Also Zambrano needs to put some pressure on Tabla and get him to commit to the squad. 

If tabla were to commit do you think he should start (maybe on the right)?

Aird has 10 starts this year.  If he is nailed to the bench from here on out I would agree that it would weaken his claim.  If he keeps playing regularly I would have him start at RM.  Tesho is a solid sub in MLS but he has never impressed in any CMNT games to the extent that Aird did in Scotland.

Tabla needs to start one of the games to show our commitment to him after he commits to us.

21 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Aird has 10 starts this year.  If he is nailed to the bench from here on out I would agree that it would weaken his claim.  If he keeps playing regularly I would have him start at RM.  Tesho is a solid sub in MLS but he has never impressed in any CMNT games to the extent that Aird did in Scotland.

Aird is playing at a level under MLS currently (and has his whole career except for his 18 games in MLS) and aside from one game he's never stood out (to me at least) with the national team.

I feel until he's playing at this level, he isn't a starter in major competition

If everyone is available, minus injuries:

-----------Larin------------

hoilett----tabla-----Davies

----Arfield--Hutchinson----

de Jong--Vitoria-Straith--ledgerwood

----------Borjan--------

if davies paperwork is not sorted, aird at RB

bench:

akindele, osorio, spoon, johnson, Ouimette, james, leutwiler

do we normally select 21? If so, remaining players would be: ricketts, Thomas, piette, 

3 alternates: teibert, Edwards, haber

Canada will take its first steps under Zambrano in an international tournament this July at the CONCACAF Gold Cup.

“The Gold Cup is a good tournament because we will get to see some of the young players who perhaps have not been part of the national team before,” he finished. “Canada is going through a generational change, so we have to make sure the guys who come after them are players of similar or better quality. That's a very difficult task because we're talking about world class players.”

http://www.concacaf.com/article/zambrano-canada-already-looking-forward-to-2026 

A few surprise maybe in store for us, as stated ; Canada is going through a generational change over, we (Canada) can play a better brand of football and a lot of players that have not been selected due to various circumstances are been looked at for their flair and style of play.  

18 minutes ago, matty said:

Aird is playing at a level under MLS currently (and has his whole career except for his 18 games in MLS) and aside from one game he's never stood out (to me at least) with the national team.

I think aird will get selected unless he flounders in the friendly and his playing time doesn't improve. If his playing time stays the same and he has a decent showing in Montreal, he's in.

20 minutes ago, Obinna said:

----------Borjan--------

bench:

do we normally select 21? If so, remaining players would be: ricketts, Thomas, piette, 

(Cancel: misread)

Also for everyone why no love for David Wotherspoon, who might be sorted out by June?

Lastly, and this is just a note, it'll be funny to see how people adjust if Cristante finally commits.

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think aird will get selected unless he flounders in the friendly and his playing time doesn't improve. If his playing time stays the same and he has a decent showing in Montreal, he's in.

Oh I think he'll be on the squad I just don't think he'll be a starter

1 minute ago, matty said:

Why no Arfield?

Also for everyone why no love for David Wotherspoon, who might be sorted out by June?

Lastly, and this is just a note, it'll be funny to see how people adjust if Cristante finally commits.

Oh I think he'll be on the squad I just don't think he'll be a starter

Arfield is there next to hutch and the I have spoon on the bench.

I'm still a fan of Ouimette as our starting RB. He played there in our first two games of the fourth round and was a part of two clean sheets before Henry was played in his place. He's reliable defensively, not bad going forward, and is currently starting for his team at RB every week. 

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Haha all good

havent seen much of crisante, but I think he'd at least make bench. He'd be a good replacement for Hutchinson. Really hoping to get him but he's probably closer to an Italy call than ever before.

I dunno. Yes he's scoring and likely going to Europa but I'm still hearing he's outside of the top 8 in his position for Italy.

4 hours ago, DannyFromToronto23 said:

What about jamar Dixon at RB he's doing well for Ottawa and instead of akindele at RW put Aird he was amazing Vs Scotland 

he already gave an explanation for both of your points

42 minutes ago, Obinna said:

----------Borjan--------

bench:

23 are normally picked for tournaments. And i would slot James over Straith and atleast put Johnson in the starting 11 over Ledgerwood if younare going with the young guns at attacking roles

Hoilett----Osorio-----Arfield

----Johnson--Hutchinson----

Edwards--James-Attakora--Aird

----------Borjan--------

A couple changes for me.

I like Arfield on the right and I think Raheem Edwards and Aird should assume the FB roles going forward now.  

Also with James and  Attakora's play they are our most in form CBs and deserve the start.

25 minutes ago, canta15 said:

I can't see Cristante committing for the Gold Cup B

Mostly same but i think it would be funny if he did and threw everyone in these forums into chaos trying to figure out how to work him in with this line up and not lose tabla or davies.

Archived