What should our gold cup lineup be?

badname22

5 minutes ago, Ivan said:

I am far from an expert myself, but I would answer by saying Piette is a different player who doesn't play over all of the Osorio/Tiebert types.  There has to be some defensive spine to the team.  Someone who tackles hard, recovers the ball and makes short passes to our more skilled players.  Like it or not, Piette is one of our better players at that aspect of the game.

Other threads have gone on how our team plays with no passion/sacrifice.  Piette plays with both.   

that is definitely part of it, but still I have seen Piette play maybe 15 times for Canada and which is a decent sample size. The only one game I actually was impressed with him was vs. Curacao so maybe he is improving. I hope he does get moved to MLS with Montreal like Ricketts did, we shouldn't really be fielding 3rd division players

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I think the bigger question at this point is why is Bernier starting. I think he's very limited at this point in his career 

Definitely one to watch at this tourney.  He won't be a 90 minute man, so either of Osorio or Teibert will be seeing significant time off the bench

4 minutes ago, michaeltfc91 said:

that is definitely part of it, but still I have seen Piette play maybe 15 times for Canada and which is a decent sample size. The only one game I actually was impressed with him was vs. Curacao so maybe he is improving. I hope he does get moved to MLS with Montreal like Ricketts did, we shouldn't really be fielding 3rd division players

I think Piette is a pure destroyer, much like a Laba in Vancouver, a player who sits in front of the CBs and just destroys all day long, hopefully wins the ball and then lays it off to the attack-minded midfield players in front of him. I DO think Piette is getting better, for what it is worth. Does he make the pitch if Hutch and Johnson are in the line-up? Nope, not likely. At least not until they put Hutch out to pasture (just got choked up at that thought).

21 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Definitely one to watch at this tourney.  He won't be a 90 minute man, so either of Osorio or Teibert will be seeing significant time off the bench

I get having him there as a veteran presence and maybe to see out a game. We have to be winning first :)  At least he's reliable but I'd rather he didn't start 

Just now, SpursFlu said:

I get having him there as a veteran presence and maybe to see out a game. We have to be winning first :)  At least he's reliable but I'd rather he didn't start 

Without Johnson in team, you really don't have a choice but to play Bernier.

16 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Without Johnson in team, you really don't have a choice but to play Bernier.

My midfield triangle looks like 

Piette 

Davies Arfield 

People may not know it but Davies is a ball winner as well as everything else he brings 

Just now, SpursFlu said:

My midfield triangle looks like 

Piette 

Davies Arfield 

People may not know it but Davies is a ball winner as well as everything else he brings 

Sorry, but I think that's a terrible idea. Davies' turnovers from CM would be a big issue and he clearly isn't capable of playing 90' on the wing yet, let alone central midfield. This midfield would struggle to keep possession as Piette and Davies aren't great passers of the ball. Piette also has a tendency to over-pursue, so having him as the lone defensive-minded CM is a disaster waiting to happen against better sides.

11 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Sorry, but I think that's a terrible idea. Davies' turnovers from CM would be a big issue and he clearly isn't capable of playing 90' on the wing yet, let alone central midfield. This midfield would struggle to keep possession as Piette and Davies aren't great passers of the ball. Piette also has a tendency to over-pursue, so having him as the lone defensive-minded CM is a disaster waiting to happen against better sides.

No guts no glory my friend. Davies is a great passer. Just wait, I predict that sound you'll be hearing is jaws dropping across Canada when people get a good long look at Davies this tournament 

18 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

No guts no glory my friend. Davies is a great passer. Just wait, I predict that sound you'll be hearing is jaws dropping across Canada when people get a good long look at Davies this tournament 

I've literally watched every minute Davies has played at the pro level. He isn't a great passer. He has a 69% pass completion percentage in MLS (league average for attacking players is around 74%), has 0 assists so far this season, leads the Whitecaps with 1.5 giveaways per 90, and has .5 key passes per game (only better than Teibert among Whitecaps attacking players). By MLS standards, he's a poor passer. 

Davies is a great prospect and is already an MLS caliber player, but let's not pretend he's something he isn't. He's best utilized on the wings or as a second striker where he can receive the ball and run at defenders. He's a fullback's worst nightmare. Putting him in a spot where he's going to need to pass quickly and limit runs forward to help defensively doesn't make much sense.

57 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

I've literally watched every minute Davies has played at the pro level. He isn't a great passer. He has a 69% pass completion percentage in MLS (league average for attacking players is around 74%), has 0 assists so far this season, leads the Whitecaps with 1.5 giveaways per 90, and has .5 key passes per game (only better than Teibert among Whitecaps attacking players). By MLS standards, he's a poor passer. 

Davies is a great prospect and is already an MLS caliber player, but let's not pretend he's something he isn't. He's best utilized on the wings or as a second striker where he can receive the ball and run at defenders. He's a fullback's worst nightmare. Putting him in a spot where he's going to need to pass quickly and limit runs forward to help defensively doesn't make much sense.

Put Davies in the right system, and he could be deadly in the middle one day. His ability to turn with the ball, drive at defenders, and spread the ball could unsettle a lot of defences. He also tackles very well. I'm not sure he's ready for it yet though. He looked lost without the ball, when he had minutes there with Vancouver.

Here's the starting XI I would like to see tomorrow, please feel free to criticize.

(4-3-3) Borjan; Aird, Jakovic, Vitoria, de Jong; Teibert, Piette, Arfield; Davies, Jackson-H, Hoilett

I do get that fans want to see Cavallini for Jackson-Hamel, and that Bernier will be a near-certain starter instead of Teibert. But AJH and Russy are the two who I'd like to see, especially considering I thought those two and Davies were the spark plugs in the 2nd half vs Curacao.

Could somebody tell me why Manjrekar James should be starting instead of Jakovic or Vitoria or even Straith? I haven't followed any of the four's club seasons closely, but James is always a massive defensive disappointment for CanMNT, reminds me a bit of Doneil.

DEEqjFLWAAAMHAL.jpg

Just read the last two pages of this thread and saw a bunch of 2-striker formations people put out with AJH and Cavallini. I honestly can't recall the last time I saw Canada in a 2-striker formation in a 4-4-2 or a 4-3-1-2, it's gotta be at least before Floro.

I'll be really shocked if the formation isn't a 4-3-3/4-1-4-1, or a 4-2-3-1 maybe.

1 minute ago, canta15 said:

It was a nice article. I had a quick convo on twitter with Mitchell, and he did say that he wasn't so sure about Bernier starting either, that it wouldn't be his first choice from the roster.

1 hour ago, ironcub14 said:

Here's the starting XI I would like to see tomorrow, please feel free to criticize.

(4-3-3) Borjan; Aird, Jakovic, Vitoria, de Jong; Teibert, Piette, Arfield; Davies, Jackson-H, Hoilett

I do get that fans want to see Cavallini for Jackson-Hamel, and that Bernier will be a near-certain starter instead of Teibert. But AJH and Russy are the two who I'd like to see, especially considering I thought those two and Davies were the spark plugs in the 2nd half vs Curacao.

Could somebody tell me why Manjrekar James should be starting instead of Jakovic or Vitoria or even Straith? I haven't followed any of the four's club seasons closely, but James is always a massive defensive disappointment for CanMNT, reminds me a bit of Doneil.

DEEqjFLWAAAMHAL.jpg

You would leave Ricketts, Cavallini and Bernier off the starting line up!? ?

41 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

You would leave Ricketts, Cavallini and Bernier off the starting line up!? ?

Not too sure why you are that surprised about that

On 7/5/2017 at 7:00 AM, Ruffian said:

If we lose to FG I will go into a depression and it will ruin this tournament that I am getting very excited about.

Don't underestimate FG. We simply can't. I, quite honestly, expect a 1-1 match.

54 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

I don't see Edwards as a starter either but I thought he did better against Curacao than some others have indicated. I think he is a promising talent and I hope he gets some minutes off the bench.

Exactly, I would rather have him come on for Hoilett as a sub in his preferred position. We all know Hoilett gets easily gassed throughout the game

Archived