What should our gold cup lineup be?

badname22

2 hours ago, Blackdude said:

AJH got injured with a right leg injury and left the game. It looks serious enough that he couldn't walk under his own power. 

He probably will be on the initial Canada roster that has been sent to CONCACAF, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's replaced before the tournament starts.

Cavallini is starting to look awfully important. I wish he'd played more minutes recently. I sure hope he's fit.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With Cavallini, Haber, Tesho and Ricketts ( if he's healthy in time) also there is Simeon Jackson but he wasn't very good in Scotland, we should be good for the group stage. For the Knockout stage we can get Larin back and maybe Jackson-Hamel will be good good. If we do get Larin back I hope he's fired up and comes out flying. 

Does anyone know if there is an signed agreement between national teams and mls on issues like Larin's or did the CSA just decide not to take him ? Is there a FIFA rule on that ? 

Lets not forget we still have Arfield,Hoilett, Davies, Edwards, Johnson etc. We should be able to score some goals. 

25 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

With Cavallini, Haber, Tesho and Ricketts ( if he's healthy in time) 

Ricketts would have to re-injure himself in order to not be healthy in time given that he was on the bench for TFC on Friday. I forgot about Tesho - make that 15 of 20 MLS striker goals being left off the initial roster if AJH is injured. 

There's nothing official yet from the Impact so maybe it isn't as serious as feared. I would hold off on anything until we hear the extent of his injury.

If he can't go though then Cavallini, Ricketts and Akindele should be our FWs. Akindele can play wing but if Petrasso, Aird, Hoilett, Davies and Edwards are on the team then he could be exclusively a ST for Canada.

10 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Does going to rehab  really prevent one from drinking and driving.....I thought it was a place for people who had real addictions. And I don't see how one could be an acholic and footballer in this day an age and get awa with it.

So is rehab used as more of a way to show that one is really really sorry, ..sorry enough that they will go to rehab to "fix" their issue with alcohol vs actually having an addiction and needing help, and will absolutely refrain from alcohol. 

I just don't understand these methods tbh. 

Johnny Manzel is somewhat of an example. 

I don't think Larin is entering rehabilitation in the traditional sense, he's entering the "MLS Substance Abuse and Behavioural Health Program and Policy." Who knows what that is.

33 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Easily good enough to get to knockout stage where they will then beef up the squad and call up their best players 

No way European based players get called in in the knockout stage though. Means no Wood, Yedlin, Pulisic, Brooks, Cameron, Johnson; that's more than half of their A team. 

Mexican C team + American B team = winnable tournament for smaller sides.

6 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

As of this morning, Canadian strikers have scored 18 goals in MLS play. If AJH can't go for the Gold Cup, we will have managed to find a way to keep 15 of those 18 goals off the roster.

Not sure I am following your numbers.  Larin-8, AJH-5 would make 13, where are the other 2 goals coming from?  Hamilton? 

36 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Deadline is the 27th at 5pm EST.

Are you sure? I thought deadline was on Friday. (10 business days before the opening of the competition.) So, where did you take that deadline from? I went there. http://www.goldcup.org/en/regulations

Now, there is a rule that allows to switch players who are injured prior to the tournament as long as it's done 24 hours before. (IIRC Kyle Porter replaced an injured Nana Attakora in 2013)

58 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Are you sure? I thought deadline was on Friday. (10 business days before the opening of the competition.) So, where did you take that deadline from? I went there. http://www.goldcup.org/en/regulations

Now, there is a rule that allows to switch players who are injured prior to the tournament as long as it's done 24 hours before. (IIRC Kyle Porter replaced an injured Nana Attakora in 2013)

On wiki it says 27th

1 hour ago, Blackdude said:

US Soccer article mentioning date as the 27th: http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2017/06/03/19/59/20170603-news-mnt-bruce-arena-names-40-player-preliminary-2017-concacaf-gold-cup-roster

AJH was injured in the first half and came off for a few minutes. Then he played for about 10 minutes in the second half before being subbed out. Unless the medical staff really screwed up I suspect it is not very serious. It was hard to tell on the replay of when he was injured but I think he may have got some studs on the knee, ie. more of a flesh wound than a serious injury. He has seemed a bit susceptible to injury this year though although none of them have been serious.

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Not sure I am following your numbers.  Larin-8, AJH-5 would make 13, where are the other 2 goals coming from?  Hamilton? 

Yes - he's a striker who scored 2 goals in MLS play but was left off the 40 man roster entirely. I'm not counting goals by midfielders in that tally.

Hopefully the 15 doesn't become 17 (as I'm assuming Akindele gets called, which seems more likely now but still not 100%).

I bet OZZIE wishes he had Hamilton on that initial roster now if AJH cant go and Larin is in rehab.  I like what Haber brings but I was hoping he wouldnt be the #1, and making Cavallini the focus scares me even more.  He has been to maybe 1 camp in the last few years??  Maybe he can gel with the team quickly.  I WANT TO SEE A GOAL THIS GC.  

4 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Oh the lazy person's encyclopedia! I like wikiepdia sometimes, but if I have access to the real regulations which I do, I'll take them before someone who doesn't know what a business day means.

You know wiki has citations on the bottom right? From other sources, if that pleases you

Archived