What should our gold cup lineup be?

badname22

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it's just me, but there is something wrong with this picture. USA plays Ghana in a friendly in front of  28,000, for gold cup warmup, Broadcast on ESPN. Articles are written all over espn and MLS. Canada plays Nicaragua in  a bunch close door scrimmages in some Florida training ground and no Livestream whatsoever,  no real big articles written about it. 

I know Petrasso is young , but for me he needs to play his  natural position he played well with the U23 team also he's played with Hoilett  before with the Queens Park Rangers.  Also if he does struggle or You need  a boost you can sub in Davies and then move Hoilett to the right and put Davies on the left.  I like Edwards at LB  because he can still attack on the left side and when he does he can  slide  Hoilett over like an attacking midfielder 

On 30/6/2017 at 9:08 AM, C2SKI said:

Why does everyone assume Arfield will be playing out of position, in the middle? He was dreadful for Burnley the few times they tried him there. I know Floro used him as a CM, but he's a far better winger.

Because  you put your talent where it can do most, even if it is out of position. I am not sure I agree, but tends to happen.

Going back to the Osorio-Teibert debate, I am suspecting neither will start.

Think it is going to be Piette and Bernier in double DM, rotating who goes back to receive and who might push a bit forward. Behind them Jakovic and James (not yet Vitoria, OZ hasn't seen him yet), Borjan in goal, outside Aird and then, not sure other side. If it is De Jong he could end up being our weak link.

Arfield and Junior in attacking mids. Cavallini up front and maybe, just for fun AJH with him. See a lot of other like this. Two tough, strong strikers, might be a gas. Our width from the backs pushing up, esp Aird. 

So_

Borjan

Aird        Jakovic            James         De Jong

Piette                Bernier

Arfield                                  Hoillet

Cavallini    AJH

Glad to see others are getting on the 2-striker train with me - our strength is not "the beautiful game." Get two strikers up there, and get it to them quickly. This doesn't mean hoof ball. It means play the ball into the attacking half, and keep the opposition back 4 under pressure, which should create space for a better possession game for our MF and DF.

5 minutes ago, matty said:

Just curious: If the team's performance is poor do you feel should Zambrano be blamed?

I ask because I know if the team has a strong showing he will be praised

For me yes , because we have good players, they need a manager to put them together, with a strong  formation and tactics. Canada should make it out the group stage and anything can in knockout rounds. 

9 hours ago, SpecialK said:

For me yes , because we have good players, they need a manager to put them together, with a strong  formation and tactics. Canada should make it out the group stage and anything can in knockout rounds. 

Frankly, we need to beat FG, and score against our other opponents from open play at least once. That's success. It's sad, but true.

1 minute ago, ThiKu said:

Frankly, we need to beat FG, and score against our other opponents from open play at least once. That's success. It's sad, but true.

If we lose to FG I will go into a depression and it will ruin this tournament that I am getting very excited about.

With Canada's talent and Oz saying he wants to play attacking football, we should be able to score some goals.  OZ you are saying all the right things, it's time to walk the line !

I know people believe Canada making out of group will be a successful tournament but this tournament is really important! We need to get to the finals. If we do we can potentially get invited to Copa America in 2019  which would be huge for soccer in this country.  Also if we do win the tournament we get to play in one game playoff for the confederation cup in 2021 ( if they still have it ).   With 2018   Being a World Cup year  there won't be a lot of tournaments to play to really showcase Canada's growth and potential and knowing the CSA  we will be playing concacaf friendlies next year. And the world thinks concacaf is a joke. 

10 hours ago, matty said:

Just curious: If the team's performance is poor do you feel should Zambrano be blamed?

I ask because I know if the team has a strong showing he will be praised

I think he'll get much more benefit of the doubt if things don't go well than a domestic manager would get (and definitely more if an American were to be charge).  Now maybe that would depend upon who the domestic manager is:  if it was Stalteri or Dos Santos in charge, maybe he gets more defenders in his corner, I don't know. However, if it was Findlay remaining in charge, then  this board would probably explode.

11 hours ago, SpecialK said:

For me yes , because we have good players...

For me, I see too many guys on this roster who need to prove that they are good at this level and at this moment.  I see too many question marks here, particularly in the back line. 

I'm no soccer expert, so can someone explain to me how Piette sees the field every time we play a game? Seems crazy to have a 3rd division player start when we have guys like Osorio or Teibert waiting on the bench (not to mention the midfield quality we would have if Hutchinson and Johnson were on the roster), yet this guy keeps playing. He does nothing going forward is as slow as hell and can't connect a 20 yard pass (nor has he ever tried).

It boggles my mind... even at the Olympic qualifying, Chapman and even Mannella were light years ahead of him... and obviously Petrasso for that matter

Seems like soccer experts think Piette is better than Teibet & Osorio. Maybe you have a biased towards players you see on you're TV screen as apposed to someone you don't. Seems reasonable, people all over the world are biased to players who play in their domestic league. Kinda like Ricketts, everyone thought he was garbage. Then he scores a couple big goals for TFC and magically he becomes amazing overnight. I think the bigger question at this point is why is Bernier starting. I think he's very limited at this point in his career 

43 minutes ago, michaeltfc91 said:

I'm no soccer expert, so can someone explain to me how Piette sees the field every time we play a game? Seems crazy to have a 3rd division player start when we have guys like Osorio or Teibert waiting on the bench (not to mention the midfield quality we would have if Hutchinson and Johnson were on the roster), yet this guy keeps playing. He does nothing going forward is as slow as hell and can't connect a 20 yard pass (nor has he ever tried).

It boggles my mind... even at the Olympic qualifying, Chapman and even Mannella were light years ahead of him... and obviously Petrasso for that matter

I am far from an expert myself, but I would answer by saying Piette is a different player who doesn't play over all of the Osorio/Tiebert types.  There has to be some defensive spine to the team.  Someone who tackles hard, recovers the ball and makes short passes to our more skilled players.  Like it or not, Piette is one of our better players at that aspect of the game.

Other threads have gone on how our team plays with no passion/sacrifice.  Piette plays with both.   

Archived