Octavio Zambrano

RJB

"To make sure Canada reaches not just the next level - but the highest level, and I'm extremely excited that I was chosen to do this job and do this task, I've prepared all my life for this job, and I will not disappoint." - Octavio Zambrano March 17, 2017

It's been a long, long time coming but I know, change gon' come.

....and if there isn't change in the Gold Cup, and by change I mean the attacking football we all expect to see...then I don't want to see him in August.

Edited by Jahinho Guerro

8 minutes ago, red card said:

Comments of note from presser so far:

Zambrano on #CPL: It is of the utmost important that we have our own league. Says bonafide but peripheral CAN players need a place to play.

Zambrano: Sr. team obviously priority but need to make sure mastery of the ball, tactics are endorsed at grassroots levels

Zambrano: Selection process, monitoring players important. Making sure they're getting good minutes with clubs. Happy w #canMNT's base ATM.

Montagliani: "He has been in some challenging environments but his most challenging is Canada. To shed the negative mindset into a positive"

Reading up on him, he apparently helped the MetroStars setup their academy, a first at the time in MLS. He started in youth soccer. I think he will definitely lead from the top in regards to grassroots soccer as well as coaching the team.

15 minutes ago, red card said:

Comments of note from presser so far:

Zambrano on #CPL: It is of the utmost important that we have our own league. Says bonafide but peripheral CAN players need a place to play.

I'm tired of every coach saying this. I get it, we get, everyone gets it- it's needed, its the obvious thing to say now.

It shouldn't be the determination of where we can be successful right now. Because even if the CPL is announced for 2019, our next manager 5-6 years time from now will maybe be able to reap the benefits of such league. 

So is that when everything will be all sexy for Canada? I don't know...

52 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Done deal now as reported by sportsnet. 

Wonder if he will coach the Scotland friendly?

From the Canada Soccer article on him.

http://canadasoccer.com/canada-soccer-introduces-new-head-coach-octavio-zambrano-to-lead-the-men-s-national-team-program-p160654

"Zambrano will travel to Scotland this week ahead of Canada’s Men’s International Friendly on 22 March. He will assume coaching duties in Qatar at the U-23 tournament where Canada will face both Uzbekistan (25 March) and host Qatar (28 March).

Zambrano’s first home match as Men’s National Team Head Coach will be 13 June in Montréal when Canada faces Curaçao as part of both nations’ preparations for the 2017 CONCACAF Gold Cup."

Doesn't explicitly say he'll be the head coach for the Scotland game, but it does say the Curacao game will be his first home match as head coach, which kind of implies he will be the head coach in Scotland. Not sure how much overlap the Men's and the U-23 camps will have, but I would have assumed they would have to overlap at least a bit.

Edited by Kent

4 hours ago, matty said:

Tweaks not just a tweak. There are various things that need work but I think we can agree this isn't as bad as 2013. Tweak might not be right to you but he isn't rebuilding the thing from seemingly the ground up like Floro had to.

Remember this is a Canada that can get results against Costa Rica (in the US) and can beat Honduras (in Canada) in competitive matches.

Agree it's definitely not as bad as 4 years ago. We are probably in agreement on 90%, it's just the other 10% that's fun to bicker about a little.

16 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

I'm tired of every coach saying this. I get it, we get, everyone gets it- it's needed, its the obvious thing to say now.

It shouldn't be the determination of where we can be successful right now. Because even if the CPL is announced for 2019, our next manager 5-6 years time from now will maybe be able to reap the benefits of such league. 

So is that when everything will be all sexy for Canada? I don't know...

It'll take a minimum of a decade or more to get quality players from a academies, even CPL academies, should CPL happen before 2020.  All we can hope for from Zambrano is helping us setup the grassroots movement better and identify players based on technical ability moreso than speed and grit (two traits that Canadian athletes most identify with). We already have an abundance of grit, don't need more.  Also, he should follow Venezuela's futbol rise from perennial loser over the last 60-70 years to now having a youth squad that has qualified to (2) U-17 WC and now (2) U-20 WC within the last 20 years.  Thats an impressive result, particularly when you're competing against Brasil, Argentina, Colombia, Uruguay, Chile and Ecuador for spots.  Venezuela invested heavily in youth and now they've got that covered.  Once we have the grassroots properly setup, the rest should fall into place like a domino effect.

1 minute ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I'm not sure if 3 makes a "staff", (probably) but this is the first time I can recollect a foreign manager getting to bring in his own people.

Its common around the world for a manager to bring in their own people and adopt (1) local guy as an assistant.  The CSA we're always demanding new coaches hire CSA staff, probably disuaded tons of candidates in the late 90's and early 2000's.

Just now, nolbertos said:

Its common around the world for a manager to bring in their own people and adopt (1) local guy as an assistant.  The CSA we're always demanding new coaches hire CSA staff, probably disuaded tons of candidates in the late 90's and early 2000's.

Exactly. It's an interesting shift and it makes me feel better about the hire giving that it's probably $500k or so to tie all these guys up.

Haven't seen the presser but I'm still a fan of the hiring.  

But some people here really need to get a grasp on reality.  Calling for his firing if the team doesn't accomplish anything in a tourney in a couple of months is idiotic and short sighted.

There are systematic issues in Canada that hamper any CMNT coach.  Constant turnover with the head coaching position won't help address those issues and won't draw quality candidates to the job in the future.  This position isn't England where people are lining up for the chance.

As a Leafs fan I've seen years of supposed "quick fixes" that were going to vault them back to glory only to fail over and over.  It was only when ownership allowed someone with a vision to tear it down that it seems like they might be going somewhere with sustained success (that being said as a Leafs fan I will not be shocked when it fails as well)

That being said, hope everyone enjoys their St Patrick's day and cheers 

26 minutes ago, Rheo said:

But some people here really need to get a grasp on reality.  Calling for his firing if the team doesn't accomplish anything in a tourney in a couple of months is idiotic and short sighted.

"...and if there isn't change in the Gold Cup, and by change I mean the attacking football we all expect to see...then I don't want to see him in August."

I'm not a believer in rewarding consistent failure, as we've done in the past in the hope of minimal to no change. I can't be deceived by time as excuse no longer. 

After exiting the GC13 with two losses, a tie and zero goals scored.... Floro was perceived as Moses sent via God/Real Madrid and would bring  expected change to the way Canada plays from youth ball to the national team.---oh but we changed alright. And how long did we take to notice the style of play?...not long, but we accepted the defend90 till we couldn't fail anymore....and thats a pattern we need to stop, especially since he has no history of coaching a national team, nevertheless being in charge of influencing the entire program from league inception to youth development.

So all I'm saying is, I want to see how he setups this team to perform/score for the GC, and if I see any sense of Floro style tactics..."then I don't want to see him in August." 

Kristian Jack's view. Zambrano says he needs 6 months to assess, so anyone thinks he will be fired after GC for not advancing out of the group is naive.

http://www.tsn.ca/zambrano-named-coach-canadian-men-s-team-1.699084

16 min interview with Zambrano. Jack asks a question about Cdns in MLS which Zambrano answers by talking about the CPL only. Jack asks again about MLS and Zambrano still says CPL should be still be the focus.

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/video/zambrano-sees-promise-in-canada-soccer-s-future~1080550

2 minutes ago, red card said:

Kristian Jack's view. Zambrano says he needs 6 months to assess, so anyone thinks he will be fired after GC for not advancing out of the group is naive.

http://www.tsn.ca/zambrano-named-coach-canadian-men-s-team-1.699084

16 min interview with Zambrano. Jack asks a question about Cdns in MLS which Zambrano answers by talking about the CPL only. Jack asks again about MLS and Zambrano still says CPL should be still be the focus.

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/video/zambrano-sees-promise-in-canada-soccer-s-future~1080550

Good man. He gets it, however, I don't think he's dismissing MLS, just that there aren't enough players to focus on playing lots of minutes.

It's pretty much the end of the "unattached, bench warmer era"

Wasn't specifically directed to you @Jahinho Guerro  I only breezed over the three pages since last night but there was at least one post directly calling for him to be fired if they didn't meet his expectations for the Gold Cup and it was liked by a few. Was just commenting that to that degree it's ridiculous.

that being said you're calling for him to be fired if they've don't play the system that you believe is best for the country. Isn't that a bit presumptuous? 

No offense meant but they're seem to be a whole lot of keyboard warriors that think they know how to solve all the issues facing Canada soccer. Constant change isn't going to overcome the issues our program faces. 

Back to St Pattys day. Cheers

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

He has presence that might inspire and wants to play attacking football. Appears a step in the right direction. Time will tell. Still feels a very random underwhelming appointment. I will take that if its a successful one.

Based on resume alone, he should be less underwhelming than Hart, Mitchell and arguably Yallop.

• Admin locked this topic
  • Admin unlocked this topic