Kwame Awuah

Dub Narcotic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

Very interesting move. St Louis SC does not begin until next season as an MLS side, but the second team is beginning play in MLS Next Pro this season. Sounds like he's betting on himself and hoping to perform ahead of earning an MLS contract for next season.

It is a little bit odd.  It sounds like a similar opportunity was there for him with Vancouver, with the ability to potentially play on the MLS team this year.  I do wonder if he misjudged the market a bit, thinking there was a higher level team than Next Pro that would be interested.

11 hours ago, Watchmen said:

It is a little bit odd.  It sounds like a similar opportunity was there for him with Vancouver, with the ability to potentially play on the MLS team this year.  I do wonder if he misjudged the market a bit, thinking there was a higher level team than Next Pro that would be interested.

Considering the durability issues of Gutierrez, I would have thought being in a similar situation in Vancouver would have been a good opportunity.  

Never say never I guess, but I think Awuah's prospects of breaking into the national team are slim to none.

I am rooting him to get back to MLS and stick around, forge (no pun intended) a nice career for himself, but he's already 26/27. He's eyeing a spot with the St. Louis MLS team at the age of 28.

He also plays in a position where he has to compete with: Davies, Adekugbe, Gutierrez and potentially Bassong and Abzi. Choiniere can also play on the left, as can Laryea and Buchanan. 

Obviously I welcome all of our players developing, not just the ones currently in the NT set up, but I don't watch his career unfolding and think he's going to break in, but hey if he can progress and put pressure on the other guys that's a good thing. 

Outside of the level, I think some are missing that this could've been financially motivated. 
St. Louis are preparing for next year by building an experienced team for MLSNP (lol)  in hope of having a head start on their first season. 

The other thing is, MLSNP doesn't have a salary cap (which is again a testament to the way St. Louis is building their squad) So Kwame could definitely be betting on himself while getting paid more than he would've in the CPL.

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

Outside of the level, I think some are missing that this could've been financially motivated. 
St. Louis are preparing for next year by building an experienced team for MLSNP (lol)  in hope of having a head start on their first season. 

The other thing is, MLSNP doesn't have a salary cap (which is again a testament to the way St. Louis is building their squad) So Kwame could definitely be betting on himself while getting paid more than he would've in the CPL.

I hope that's the case because from a competitive standpoint this move makes little sense. History shows us that expansion sides hang onto very few players from their pre-MLS days. 

Awuah and Farsi made boneheaded moves IMO. Going to an MLS 'B' team is a very low percentage move, particularly at their respective ages. 

7 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I hope that's the case because from a competitive standpoint this move makes little sense. History shows us that expansion sides hang onto very few players from their pre-MLS days. 

Awuah and Farsi made boneheaded moves IMO. Going to an MLS 'B' team is a very low percentage move, particularly at their respective ages. 

I agree that from a competitive standpoint these moves are gambles, but I would say Farsi is just on the borderline of being too old for moving to a B side. He's still only 22.

Awuah on the other hand is absolutely too old, but here's to hoping both moves workout. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
10 hours ago, narduch said:

With all this Next Pro talk I was wondering if St. Louis is signing him to their MLS squad

Transfermarkt shows him without club, I would expect him back in CPL, didn't take advantage of the opportunity. After being mostly a 90 minute starter in the first half of the season went to being subbed out or in in most games, didn't play in the playoffs.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Found a portion of this podcast interesting. He was asked about the difference about the play in Canada and US, I am just paraphrasing here but he mentions in the US other coaches will talk up other players from the US, and here a former big name Canadian international talked down about him to other coaches, can start around 19 mins if interested.

• 5 months later...