Kwame Awuah

Dub Narcotic

On 8/4/2018 at 9:35 PM, dyslexic nam said:

He just subbed into the Vancouver game in the 65th minute - on TSN 2.

Where did he play? As a holding midfield? Has he played much time as a full back? His positional flexibility could be good for Canada with MAK injured and the right back position up for grabs.

3 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Where did he play? As a holding midfield? Has he played much time as a full back? His positional flexibility could be good for Canada with MAK injured and the right back position up for grabs.

Good call but he’s actually a left back when he plays back there (but he hasn’t recently).  He’s been coming in as a DM and the coach seems to rate him he says he is impressing and improving every training.  Also noted that his strength is his versatility .. let’s hope he’s more like MAK than Teibert though. 

31 minutes ago, PopePouri said:

TBF, Tiebert is having an excellent season.

Interesting ... Teibert does seem like a forgotten man!  It's easier to do these days given our other options, but RT would be a fine game day back-up to, say, Piette/Arfield ... I still think he is easily behind those two however.  It really does show how far we've come in a short time!

32 minutes ago, Addona said:

Interesting ... Teibert does seem like a forgotten man!  It's easier to do these days given our other options, but RT would be a fine game day back-up to, say, Piette/Arfield ... I still think he is easily behind those two however.  It really does show how far we've come in a short time!

Definitely a good depth option but imo he’s a step below Piette, Arfield, Hutchinson, Osorio, Johnson and MAK.  He’s just sort of there.. all of the above have some dynamic to their game that pops out, with Teibert nothing really does besides his work rate which all of the above also have.

Hes younger than 4 of those guys but then he also has Fraser, Awuah and even Cordova to compete with who have all seen their stock rise.  Also possibly Shome, Laryea, the Choinières and Eustaquio to compete with in the near future.

Edited by Keegan

1 minute ago, Keegan said:

Definitely a good depth option but imo he’s a step below Piette, Arfield, Hutchinson, Osorio, Johnson and MAK.  He’s just sort of there.. all of the above have some dynamic to their game that pops out, with Teibert nothing really does besides his work rate which all of the above also have.

Yes, I wasn't comparing him to Osorio since I feel like they would be in different positions, with Oso playing higher up the field. Hutch, well, I agree, but I'm starting to phase him out ... not sure how much longer he'll play for the MNT (even if good enough, he may retire from international competition), MAK is hurt right now.  That leaves WJ ... well, between RT and WJ, I guess I'd give a slight edge to WJ, but it's really a toss-up.

Also, I could see WJ playing right-back for us ... so, RT is not that far down the depth chart. Heaven forbid Piette gets hurt, and Hutch retires from international football ... shit, I've jinxed it, haven't I?

His passing percentage is always near the top 5-10 in the league and he's able to splay plenty of accurate long balls with left foot from deep. Something I don't think we have in our player pool. Piette keeps it pretty simple. He's lacking in athleticism, but he's improved his defensive positioning this year.

I keep forgetting that he's only 25 and still hasn't yet hit his prime.

Edited by PopePouri

His best season was in 2013 and at 18 he used to take set pieces.  What has happened to him?  In my mind he’s top 5-10 in the league because he doesn’t spray balls anywhere.. Piette actually does, Fraser does.  I can’t recall Teibert doing so but you’d expect it to be a strength or even taking free kicks.. it’s like he just settled for being a Dunfield. 

Anytime I see him get the ball it’s predictable IMO.  Everything is backwards or sideways.. just jogging around being a target and laying off the ball.  No long strikes, no splitting balls, no crunching tackles, not good in the air. not fast, no right foot.. there’s a reason he’s never been a consistent starter - it’s because he’s a filler not a guy you start 30 matches.  I think he’s probably suited best for LWB/LB. 

Yes he’s only 25 but can anyone tell me how he has improved since 2013?  He is the player he is, he never put in the time to become elite like we thought he would in 2011. 

Edited by Keegan

58 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Yes he’s only 25 but can anyone tell me how he has improved since 2013?  He is the player he is, he never put in the time to become elite like we thought he would in 2011. 

I though this was in reference to Awuah, thought I had somehow missed a lot of his career! I wouldn't write of Teibert yet, a lot of people had Osorio being moved because he couldn't consistently start on TFC, and now he has shown a lot of improvement.

10 hours ago, Keegan said:

His best season was in 2013 and at 18 he used to take set pieces.  What has happened to him?  In my mind he’s top 5-10 in the league because he doesn’t spray balls anywhere.. Piette actually does, Fraser does.  I can’t recall Teibert doing so but you’d expect it to be a strength or even taking free kicks.. it’s like he just settled for being a Dunfield. 

Anytime I see him get the ball it’s predictable IMO.  Everything is backwards or sideways.. just jogging around being a target and laying off the ball.  No long strikes, no splitting balls, no crunching tackles, not good in the air. not fast, no right foot.. there’s a reason he’s never been a consistent starter - it’s because he’s a filler not a guy you start 30 matches.  I think he’s probably suited best for LWB/LB. 

He used to be a boss with spraying long balls actually. Was a very accurate passer from the wing the year he led the team in assists, and when Robo first moved him to DM he used to spray balls up the park often and well... until that too was beaten out of him.

I think the issue is less that he never put the time in, and more that he never had either the speed or strength to excel in MLS at any given position, and Vancouver's system is so unimaginative I don't think he's given the freedom to develop a more creative role either.

Edited by A_Gagne

On 8/7/2018 at 9:29 AM, PopePouri said:

His passing percentage is always near the top 5-10 in the league and he's able to splay plenty of accurate long balls with left foot from deep. Something I don't think we have in our player pool. Piette keeps it pretty simple. He's lacking in athleticism, but he's improved his defensive positioning this year.

I keep forgetting that he's only 25 and still hasn't yet hit his prime.

I feel he deserves more credit in this area.

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Personally, from watching Awuah at Forge via One Soccer, I've been a fan. Not always the best player on the pitch, but solid and understated, he has has a good reading of the game and can find a pass. He would be missed at Forge, but would give a few options for an MLS club, even if not always starting every game. Would be a solid signing. And we have seen players like Awuah get to the next level in a season or two.