Kwame Awuah

Dub Narcotic

LB/LM, born in 1995 in Toronto. Graduates as team captain with Connecticut (recruited the same year as Cyle Larin) and is ranked #18 in TDS' big board for the 2017 draft. Played friendlies at the U-20 level but never capped. Trained with Sigma and played for their L10 team over the summers. 

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, lazlo_80 said:

the lowest rated Canadian on Ives draft board is the first Canadian to get drafted.

I don't think there's a draft in the world where noone has any clue where players are rated by teams beforehand.

only the top 3 are usually guaranteed....the rest is a toss up

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Signed with NYCFC. Drawing some high praise from Patrick Vieira:

“Going back to the MLS Combine we saw something in Kwame that we believed was good enough to compete for a place in our first-team and in preseason he’s just confirmed what we saw there,” said head coach Patrick Vieira. “We’re happy to offer him a contract and we’re happy that he accepted that contract.

“He’s a young player who needs to develop some parts in his game but he’s a really exciting footballer who is full of energy and has an unbelievable willingness to learn.”

http://sbisoccer.com/2017/02/mls-ticker-tfc-inks-barcelona-product-nycfc-signs-awuah-and-more

• 2 months later...

Bumping this thread.

Made his professional debut last week. Viera seems to like him a lot and it'll be interesting how much minutes he gets before the June friendly. NYCFC has a hole at LB at the moment. Matarita is injured so they've tried Ben Sweat and Rodney Wallace there with mixed results.

Most importantly, he has the ability to be play some right back.

Edited by PopePouri

• 6 months later...
1 minute ago, lazlo_80 said:

NYCFC fans seem to be a bit puzzled by his inclusion while Mikey Lopez got cut. The good thing about having a low salary I suppose.

He was training as a utility fullback for NYCFC towards the end of the season, and could be in for some serious playing time next year as both of NYCFCs starting fullbacks are very injury prone. Tough to see him getting much of a look at holding midfield or on the left wing, however.

5 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

NYCFC fans seem to be a bit puzzled by his inclusion while Mikey Lopez got cut. The good thing about having a low salary I suppose.

He was training as a utility fullback for NYCFC towards the end of the season, and could be in for some serious playing time next year as both of NYCFCs starting fullbacks are very injury prone. Tough to see him getting much of a look at holding midfield or on the left wing, however.

Ironically Mikey Lopez also had a very slow first few years to his pro career before becoming what appears to be a fan favorite.

But in the "who's better for this team" debates, I'd much prefer being on the side of Patrick Viera than the fanbase.

Hopefully this foreshadows a bigger role next year.

Can anyone direct me somewhere in this thread where I can see highlights of his best performances? Or provide an outside link for it?.... Also what is his potential level like? Highly, mildly-rated? ... I am aware he is best use as a central midfielder or fullback..... Though, didn't  get much of a chance to prove it last season due to his very limited playing minutes unfortunately 

37 minutes ago, CNMNTPERUELIGIBLE said:

Can anyone direct me somewhere in this thread where I can see highlights of his best performances? Or provide an outside link for it?.... Also what is his potential level like? Highly, mildly-rated? ... I am aware he is best use as a central midfielder or fullback..... Though, didn't  get much of a chance to prove it last season due to his very limited playing minutes unfortunately 

Here are his UCONN highlights. His MLS highlight reel would be pretty short as of yet.

He's a + passer and a + athlete, but struggles under pressure and has difficulty defending more technical players. I think if he has a future in MLS it is as a left wingback. He could eventually be a Ronald Matarrita type player. 

5 hours ago, CNMNTPERUELIGIBLE said:

I think best case he becomes a solid MLS pro. Do not think he'll ever excel in MLS to the point he gets a move to Europe.

Edited by Obinna

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

NYCFC just picked up Swedish national Anton Tinnerholm, who plays RB/LB an an international level. Barring NYCFC trading a fullback, Awuah isn't going to see much of the field next year.

I think they see him as a MF not a wingback or fullback.

1 minute ago, Vince193 said:

I think they see him as a MF not a wingback or fullback.

He trained/played at RB for most of the second half of last season. The path to minutes in midfield is even more difficult. Alex Ring, Yangel Herrera, Tommy McNamara, Maxi Morales, James Sands, and likely a DP. That's two DPs, a Finnish and Venezuelan international, a top US u17 prospect....and Tommy McNamara. 

• 7 months later...
34 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Awuah has come in to close out the last 2 games for the top of the table NYFC team.  Nice to see him still grinding it out, fighting for minutes.  

I thought that the new coach would put a damper on his chances but in 2 games he has more than doubled his MLS minutes so far (which isn’t tough mind you.. he’s up to 63 in 8 appearances now).  Hopefully he can continue on this trajectory otherwise it’s time to move on. 

14 hours ago, Keegan said:

I thought that the new coach would put a damper on his chances but in 2 games he has more than doubled his MLS minutes so far (which isn’t tough mind you.. he’s up to 63 in 8 appearances now).  Hopefully he can continue on this trajectory otherwise it’s time to move on. 

Yes I thought the same new coach sometimes can me little to no playing time, but he's been given a chance. Maybe towards end of season he might start a game or more. 

• 2 weeks later...