Cyle Larin

shermanator

30 minutes ago, Obinna said:

He's at his best in the box when he's instinctive. And a hesitant striker is a striker low on confidence. I don't know what he has to do to get his confidence back, but right now he is a bench player with Besiktas and a bench player with Canada. That can't be helping the situation.

Not to micro pick, but his 6 yard box miss last night isn't a confidence thing - it is just a basic mistake.  He wasn't ready to hit the ball because he thought the defender was going to intercept it.  But it is a pretty basic idea that a striker in that situation needs to assume the ball is coming to him.  He wasn't in a position to win the ball from the defender so all he can do is prepare himself to score in the event that the ball gets to him.  It did, and he wasn't prepared.  That isn't fitness or confidence - it is basic stuff, especially for a guy who has gotten results as a poacher.  

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Not to micro pick, but his 6 yard box miss last night isn't a confidence thing - it is just a basic mistake.  He wasn't ready to hit the ball because he thought the defender was going to intercept it.  But it is a pretty basic idea that a striker in that situation needs to assume the ball is coming to him.  He wasn't in a position to win the ball from the defender so all he can do is prepare himself to score in the event that the ball gets to him.  It did, and he wasn't prepared.  That isn't fitness or confidence - it is basic stuff, especially for a guy who has gotten results as a poacher.  

Agree but playing time is critical for strikers and not playing is going to impact timing etc. Larin needs games

33 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah but we've seen him finish those before. We can say he wasn't prepared or focused, but that's a result of a lack of confidence. A confident striker is going to be dialed in and sharp, optimistically expecting the ball to find it's way through, rather than being caught flat footed and surprised when it does. That's my take anyhow!

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

I have never seen Larin this low on confidence.

Thought so too. Noticed quite a few times where he gained possession or received a pass just into the St Kitts half, waited for Davies to catch up with him, and then played a short little lay-off pass for Davies to advance the play and take on defenders. Understand Larin is more of a poacher than a 1v1 type of striker, but in those situations with space to play or at least move the ball up field, he just kind stood there and was wanting someone else to advance play forward. Definitely looked a little like his confidence is hurting.

4 minutes ago, HfxCeltic said:

Thought so too. Noticed quite a few times where he gained possession or received a pass just into the St Kitts half, waited for Davies to catch up with him, and then played a short little lay-off pass for Davies to advance the play and take on defenders. Understand Larin is more of a poacher than a 1v1 type of striker, but in those situations with space to play or at least move the ball up field, he just kind stood there and was wanting someone else to advance play forward. Definitely looked a little like his confidence is hurting.

I remember in the MLS All star game (was it 16 or 17?) when Larin in those positions just charged forward with the ball at his feet.

Last night he was timid or unsure by comparison.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Vince193 said:

Looks like he was given another opportunity today and failed again to make anything of it.

Worse...

The team was losing 2-0.

Once Larin was subbed out for Love, Besiktas came back and won the game 3-2 with Love scoring.

Larin needs a loan to a weaker team or league. This was too big of a step for him I think

13 hours ago, Ansem said:

Worse...

The team was losing 2-0.

Once Larin was subbed out for Love, Besiktas came back and won the game 3-2 with Love scoring.

Larin needs a loan to a weaker team or league. This was too big of a step for him I think

Weaker team maybe. But Outside the top 4 teams there's not much to separate the average MLS team from the Super Lig. Strange that he seems to be struggling so much at Besiktas.

13 hours ago, Ansem said:

Worse...

The team was losing 2-0.

Its disappointing, given how well he started once he was given opportunities near the end of last year.  I still believe in him and hope he can figure it out at Besiktas or elsewhere in Europe.

5 hours ago, zeelaw1555362314 said:

Besiktas fans have completely turned on him too - at least the ones on reddit.

I saw a comment from a turkish fan who said something along the lines of "I don't know English well enough to explain how bad of a player he is."

Ouch

Yes, fine. But the whole team is underpar and certainly he is not alone amongst those criticised, I assure you. They are 9 points off league win and not even in a European spot, and have to win away to Galatasaray to remedy part of that this weekend. 

23 hours ago, zeelaw1555362314 said:

Besiktas fans have completely turned on him too - at least the ones on reddit.

I saw a comment from a turkish fan who said something along the lines of "I don't know English well enough to explain how bad of a player he is."

Ouch

I would generalize Besiktas fans as a rather unreasonable bunch.

Even before he signed, so many fans were fawning over him. "Come to Besiktas, Come to Besiktas", they'd repeat on youtube or instagram, probably without even seeing him play. They seem to do this to any player linked with the club, from what I can tell.

Then, when he joined they treated him as a king, which I personally enjoyed, but it really wasn't warranted. Now, he is seemingly the devil because he is going through a bad period. It must be tough to be absolutely adored one minute and then scorned the next. Both are total overreactions from my perspective.

I think I am beginning to understand why Turkey is not a good environment for developing young players. If the Besiktas fans are any indication, the Turks are very impatient and want immediate results. That's probably why (in part) they sign proven players over young inexperienced ones. 

Perhaps I am not directly hitting the nail on the head, but I think there's something to it.

On 11/30/2018 at 1:33 PM, dennis said:

Weaker team maybe. But Outside the top 4 teams there's not much to separate the average MLS team from the Super Lig. Strange that he seems to be struggling so much at Besiktas.

Average MLS is a lot worse than Super Lig. In fact the top half of Turkish 2nd division is better than MLS. Remember Tosaint Ricketts struggled there before tearing up MLS with TFC?

Getting straight to the top of the Turkish league was a bit of a stretch. A couple years in Belgium (or similar) would have been better for Larin. But they couldn't afford him with MLS wanting 10 mil for the young chap. Imagine if he could have made a free transfer after one year in Orlando? 

22 hours ago, Obinna said:

I would generalize Besiktas fans as a rather unreasonable bunch.

Even before he signed, so many fans were fawning over him. "Come to Besiktas, Come to Besiktas", they'd repeat on youtube or instagram, probably without even seeing him play. They seem to do this to any player linked with the club, from what I can tell.

Then, when he joined they treated him as a king, which I personally enjoyed, but it really wasn't warranted. Now, he is seemingly the devil because he is going through a bad period. It must be tough to be absolutely adored one minute and then scorned the next. Both are total overreactions from my perspective.

I think I am beginning to understand why Turkey is not a good environment for developing young players. If the Besiktas fans are any indication, the Turks are very impatient and want immediate results. That's probably why (in part) they sign proven players over young inexperienced ones. 

Perhaps I am not directly hitting the nail on the head, but I think there's something to it.

You can generalize any fan base using that metric

• 2 weeks later...

In the 86th minute, with his team down 1-0 and a man down. He went on an amazing run getting past 2 defenders but unable to finish it past the keeper. Perhaps we could have crossed it across the keeper, but I feel like he deserved to hit it.

He had another change in injury time where he burst through the last defender inside the box, but his chip over the keeper hit the crossbar and out of bounds

I began watching when he was subbed on in the 75th, his team is playing absolutely dreadful from what ive seen, His team came short in Istanbul, losing and failing to make it into the knockout stage

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, canta15 said:

In the 86th minute, with his team down 1-0 and a man down. He went on an amazing run getting past 2 defenders but unable to finish it past the keeper. Perhaps we could have crossed it across the keeper, but I feel like he deserved to hit it.

He had another change in injury time where he burst through the last defender inside the box, but his chip over the keeper hit the crossbar and out of bounds

I began watching when he was subbed on in the 75th, his team is playing absolutely dreadful from what ive seen, His team came short in Istanbul, losing and failing to make it into the knockout stage

Here is that late chance for Larin:
https://twitter.com/DAZN_CA/status/1073306267073032194/video/1

Too bad. A goal there would have gotten Besiktas through the group stage and would have gone a long way towards changing his reputation with the fans.

Huge disappointment for the club overall. They were the highest ranked team in the group, so not to make it out is a huge failure, especially when you just needed a result at home in the final match.

3 hours ago, canta15 said:

I turned it on just in time to see Quaresma stomp on a guy with his studs in the midfield, straight red. There was at least 10 min left still, or more. So it is painfully clear there is more going on than just Larin, the team in general is in rough shape.