Cyle Larin

shermanator

My guess is that they are paid in Euros, but at any rate the Lira is down against all the majors, just as you said @jpg75

Not to get too sidetracked, but the Turkish central bank is, apprently, talking about stepping in to bail out the government, and the IMF is, apparently, saying they'll step in (if necessary) to support the Turkish central bank. 

Point being, Turkey is seemingly in real trouble.

Hopefully it all blows over, but if not Larin may also want to consider his future in Turkey, not only from a financial point of view, but also from a safety point of view. Venezuela got a lot less safe after the meltdown of the bolivar.

Edited by Obinna

I had not thought of this either, so just checked the currency evolution over the last month, thinking that most likely they'd be paid in euros, Turkey has a lot of bank connections with Germany of course and it'd be more logical in terms of immediate trade.

in any case, against both the dollar and euro, the lira lost about 30-35% of its value, over these early weeks of August, but yesterday bounced up radically, though today has slipped a bit again. But about half the losses against euro and dollar have been mitigated, or could be, depending on how things go next week. 

They were very lucky to get a late result and stay alive in Europa league.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

12 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I had not thought of this either, so just checked the currency evolution over the last month, thinking that most likely they'd be paid in euros, Turkey has a lot of bank connections with Germany of course and it'd be more logical in terms of immediate trade.

in any case, against both the dollar and euro, the lira lost about 30-35% of its value, over these early weeks of August, but yesterday bounced up radically, though today has slipped a bit again. But about half the losses against euro and dollar have been mitigated, or could be, depending on how things go next week. 

They were very lucky to get a late result and stay alive in Europa league.

And they were very poor.

Perhaps I shouldn't look too much into that performance, but they looked like a shell of the 2017-18 team. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

And they were very poor.

Perhaps I shouldn't look too much into that performance, but they looked like a shell of the 2017-18 team. 

You know, if you look at the league, they were like 3 points off a Champions spot, 4 from winning the league and going straight back into the group stage. So their good Champions run interfered with the league a bit, the difference was minimal. If they'd repeated, the team would have a different tone, so clearly this year, after last, is for slight rebuilding. 

10 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Would they be paid in Euros? Either way, the Lira is down against all the major currencies.

The top players are paid in Euro according to an article today in the FT. Also quoted a “panicked executive” at a top club as confirming that there revenues are mainly in lira and they are in trouble. 

Edited by An Observer

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You know, if you look at the league, they were like 3 points off a Champions spot, 4 from winning the league and going straight back into the group stage. So their good Champions run interfered with the league a bit, the difference was minimal. If they'd repeated, the team would have a different tone, so clearly this year, after last, is for slight rebuilding. 

Yup that's playing a role to some degree I am sure. There is no CL, so no need to break the bank to beef up. What they have now will be sufficient for Europa, if they don't screw up in qualifying, that is.

I do see they lost out on the Ospina loan.

Rather than joining Besiktas as was rumored, he now joins Napoli.

I wonder how much the currency crisis played into that....

Edited by Obinna

Just now, Obinna said:

Yup that's playing a role to some degree I am sure. There is no CL, so no need to break the bank to beef up. What they have now will be sufficient for Europa, if they don't screw up in qualifying, that is.

I do see they lost out on the Ospina loan.

Rather than joining Besiktas as was rumored, he now joins Napoli.

I wonder how much the currency crisis played into that....

I've been looking at the squad, and am surprised they retained Vida, he supposedly had major offers after the World Cup. Really all they have lost is keeper Fabricio, gone to Fulham, and the strikers they already sold last season, who gave them more bite, like Tosun at Everton. Love I guess as well, though he is getting on. Negredo is into the 2nd year of a three year contract, I wonder how quickly he'd move on.

Apart from that, the team is pretty strong, they do need to sign a keeper, and our beloved striker notwithstanding, another effective attacker. A lot of experience, a bit old in key spots (Babel, Pepe, Quaresma, Medel). Then let the younger Turks grow into the team, as Larin.

10 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I've been looking at the squad, and am surprised they retained Vida, he supposedly had major offers after the World Cup. Really all they have lost is keeper Fabricio, gone to Fulham, and the strikers they already sold last season, who gave them more bite, like Tosun at Everton. Love I guess as well, though he is getting on. Negredo is into the 2nd year of a three year contract, I wonder how quickly he'd move on.

Apart from that, the team is pretty strong, they do need to sign a keeper, and our beloved striker notwithstanding, another effective attacker. A lot of experience, a bit old in key spots (Babel, Pepe, Quaresma, Medel). Then let the younger Turks grow into the team, as Larin.

The big loss was Talisca

3 hours ago, Kadenge said:

The big loss was Talisca

I think you are right, but he was on loan, so harder to retain. Benfica loaned him to China after his time at Besiktas, so they had really no choice there.

The point is, as you are making, that they had a few strikers in the mix, and mids scoring goals, and they are a bit thinner overall up front.

Started and played the whole first leg today at Partizan. Besiktas drew 1-1. Looked good in the first half, had 2 decent chances. Made a nice move in the box off a corner to lose his man (thank you Adrian Heath coaching?!) but shot it just wide of the post. Second half the ball never really came near him, maybe looked a bit sluggish but an ok outing overall.

If Besiktas advance (which they look as they will), would it potentially set up the first time since Radzinski that a Canadian striker has started in Europa/CL group stage? Good stuff.

27 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Larin did a fair bit of good hold up play, including in the build up to the Besiktas goal, that I haven't really seen from him when playing with Canada. If he can bring that to the national team, it will be a good addition.

Missed the game today but I saw a game in the last round and his hold up play looks to be improving. There's still room to get better, but this is a good sign for us.

41 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Hold up play is nice and all, but tbh he needs to start finding the back of the net against stronger competition since that's what he was brought in for

yeah. he just narrowly missed on a header off a corner. think it was around the 40 minute mark.

but yeah the big thing with Larin will be consistently converting chances into goals.

On 8/25/2018 at 7:56 PM, mpg_29 said:

"COME TO STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM BESIKTAS" - Besiktas fans for the first time ever

Are there any Besiktas fans saying this or is that your opinion? There was a huge welcome for him at the airport and this is an excellent signing for Besiktas. Karius is a top keeper who had one poor game. Unless that shoots his confidence Besiktas got really lucky to get him.

An analysis of Besiktas recent draw away to Partizan Belgrade in the first leg of their Europa league qualification Play-off

Not directly related to our guy Cyle, but it is critical of Besiktas performance, which I was also critical of at the time, but this sheds light on why they played so badly:

https://www.dailysabah.com/football/2018/08/25/besiktas-could-have-finished-the-job-in-belgrade

Coach Şenol Güneş lost Ryan Babel and Jeremain Lens before the game and had to find a new way to maintain the offensive power of the team. But apparently, he pushed the limits of his squad to the point that everything was just mixed up. The offensive scheme of the team was unrecognizable, everyone was roaming blindly on the pitch and sometimes there were three players standing on the same spot.

• 3 weeks later...