Cyle Larin

shermanator

Larin just missed a really good chance from a Lens cross. Lens looked very displeased. He held the ball up well for a great counterattacking chance on the previous play though.

Edited by Guest

Needs to bury those chances at this level, but has had solid hold up play and nice assist recognizing the overlap. 

Also just me... Or does Larin look super fit and much faster! Looks 10-15 lbs lighter but maybe that's my bein tv feed lol 

Edited by apbsmith

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, PhillyCanuck said:

Nice to see Larin back in the starting XI for Besiktas in Europa League action vs. Genk today. He hasn't had a lot of playing time lately.

DqX1mYrW4AY8pXM.jpg:large

Pretty strong team minus Pepe and Hutchinson, who I strongly suspect at this point is ineligible for Europa. Can anyone confirm that?

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Pretty strong team minus Pepe and Hutchinson, who I strongly suspect at this point is ineligible for Europa. Can anyone confirm that?

Yeah he re-signed late for Besiktas when they had already submitted their team to UEFA for Europa league Group Stage 

Should they be in the Knockout, Atiba can then play

Tough half for Cyle and Besiktas.  Couldn't really get anything going, and then they got caught on the counter.  Played a bit better after the goal.  Larin not seeing the ball much.  Has dropped to help his mid recover a ball or 2.  No chances on net that I saw, but ran at the defence at speed once before dishing it off to Quaresma who then drew a dangerous foul.  Larin drew a yellow from the defender marking him at the end of the half. 

Still is amazing to see a kid from Brampton who used to play in L1O start a Europa league game as a striker.  

7 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Besiktas playing like garbage, and Larin playing down to their level. Severely under impressed. I don’t blame it on Larin fully, but guys like Cavalini can change a game with their compete level and meanwhile Larin looks like the slowest guy on the pitch.

And obviously the Besiktas manager felt the same way as Larin is subbed out at half.

Just now, BrennanFan said:

Harsh. 

Maybe I am being harsh, but the guy has had only 3 starts all season, and that is the amount of effort he puts into a European game in which he has been trusted to start? If he wants to play he is either going to have to improve his quality or his effort. But right now it is neither. 

Some strikers get by on sheer quality (Kane, Costa, Suarez, etc...), and right now Larin isn’t doing that. Most strikers get by on work rate and smart runs, and right now Larin is making no space for himself, and when he did get the ball it was 50/50 chance that he would lose it. There was many opportunities for movement to create space, and he didn’t take them.

6 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Some strikers get by on sheer quality (Kane, Costa, Suarez, etc...), and right now Larin isn’t doing that. 

You should see Suarez's work rate lately, it's amazing. He runs and runs and is incredibly fit.He's lost weight, like most of the world of pro football, mind you. 

But there is this:  he hasn't scored in his last 15 games in Europe. So we'll have to move him off soon enough at Barça. Costa also works hard, and is also a player who has streaks. Kane is more consistent now: but the same, hard working. No excuses.

Larin had a listless quality about him at Orlando, but took his chances. Those kinds of strikers do happen, the apparently "lazy" ones, but the only thing that saves them is scoring. Romario was a classic this way, he looked half asleep, then boom! Larin looks half asleep, then---head nod. 

I feel for him, but as I see it, it is his fucking fault. I mean: Suárez has dropped his scoring rate, but compensates with improved play outside the box, pressure on keeper, defence, everything else. You cannot sleepwalk through a pro career, someone has to light a fire under Cyle's butt.

Just to say, I was following this game, from update feed, and saw the rival with way more possesion in the 1st half, maybe 35-65, a bad sign for the team, playing at home. They clearly have some pieces missing for their squad.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You should see Suarez's work rate lately, it's amazing. He runs and runs and is incredibly fit.He's lost weight, like most of the world of pro football, mind you. 

But there is this:  he hasn't scored in his last 15 games in Europe. So we'll have to move him off soon enough at Barça. Costa also works hard, and is also a player who has streaks. Kane is more consistent now: but the same, hard working. No excuses.

Larin had a listless quality about him at Orlando, but took his chances. Those kinds of strikers do happen, the apparently "lazy" ones, but the only thing that saves them is scoring. Romario was a classic this way, he looked half asleep, then boom! Larin looks half asleep, then---head nod. 

I feel for him, but as I see it, it is his fucking fault. I mean: Suárez has dropped his scoring rate, but compensates with improved play outside the box, pressure on keeper, defence, everything else. You cannot sleepwalk through a pro career, someone has to light a fire under Cyle's butt.

Suarez' work rate has been exceptional throughout his career. 

4 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Suarez' work rate has been exceptional throughout his career. 

Well I did not follow closely at Liverpool, not as you did, though my team in England is Liverpool and was my top European team before I became a Barça fan. I've been to Anfield, just to verify.

But I can assure you: he is lighter, and fitter, than ever, it is admirable. He was running at the keeper last night in the last five minutes, even though Munir had subbed on late and he should have been doing it. But Munir sat back to defend a bit, and Suàrez went at it. His overall fitness has improved this year over last, no kidding.

All I am saying: he is a veteran, he has won a lot, he's a fighter, and he is taking it up a step after all that. No sitting on his laurels. There is no excuse for a guy from Canada, of all dumbass places, to think he does not have to do the same, it is outrageous, and already bothered a lot of people here for his NT performances and Orlando. Aren't you supposed to wake up with all that noise around you? 

Yeah, I will start by saying I am rooting for Larin to come good.  I have been all along.

BUT, the few times I saw him at Orlando, his goals seemed to be a product of circumstance rather than anything of his own invention.

His performances with Canada have been generally underwhelming and he has been accused of being lazy and wasteful in front of goal.

Now, at Besiktas, it looks like the same criticisms apply.  The only difference now is that I can't see the club having much patience with him - at least in regards to getting time on the field.  And the frustrating thing, as UT pointed out, is that things like work rate are something you can simply decide to improve.  Unlike being clinical, which may or may not improve over a short time, work rate is something entirely within your control.  

I hope he starts taking his chances, and has an amazing career in Europe.  And it is still early days for him in Turkey.  But I have to admit that I am not overly optimistic.

21 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Well I did not follow closely at Liverpool, not as you did, though my team in England is Liverpool and was my top European team before I became a Barça fan. I've been to Anfield, just to verify.

But I can assure you: he is lighter, and fitter, than ever, it is admirable. He was running at the keeper last night in the last five minutes, even though Munir had subbed on late and he should have been doing it. But Munir sat back to defend a bit, and Suàrez went at it. His overall fitness has improved this year over last, no kidding.

All I am saying: he is a veteran, he has won a lot, he's a fighter, and he is taking it up a step after all that. No sitting on his laurels. There is no excuse for a guy from Canada, of all dumbass places, to think he does not have to do the same, it is outrageous, and already bothered a lot of people here for his NT performances and Orlando. Aren't you supposed to wake up with all that noise around you? 

What I see from Suarez lately (which admittedly isn't much - I haven't even watched a full Barca match this season), is that he's beginning to lose his pace a bit, but is working harder than ever off the ball to make up for it. That in itself is definitely admirable.

He is still a top, top striker (his pace to Rafinha the other day was brilliant), but his attacking involvement numbers are steadily declining, so good on him for finding ways to add value to the team (when he is not putting the ball in the back of the net).

Edited by Obinna