Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

On April 5, 2019 at 12:16 PM, Zem said:

Not many spots left to fill; here's where the clubs' rosters are at currently and how many foreign slots they have left:

• Cavalry: 20 players signed, 2 foreign slots left
  • Edmonton: 20 players signed, 1 foreign slot left assuming Ameobi will have his permanent residency in time
  • Forge: 20 players signed, 3 foreign slots left
  • Halifax: 21 players signed, no foreign slots left
  • Pacific: 15 players signed, 6 foreign slots left
  • Valour: 19 players signed, 3 foreign slots left
  • York 9: 20 players signed, 5 foreign slots left
On April 5, 2019 at 11:53 AM, BuzzAndSting said:

Kit leaks on CPL Shop (6)

From reddit... There might be a few more.

York9: Nathan Ingham, Adrian Pena

Pacific FC: Blake Smith 

Cavalry FC: Victor Loturi, José Escalante

FC Edmonton: Noah Cunningham

After the kit leaks, That means that there is now 20 maximum roster spots to fill should each club decide to finalize their 23 man rosters 

Few thoughts & notes: 

I think HFX are done and maybe sign a player in the July window after the spring season 

MF | Draft Pick - Emmanuel Zambazis was also announced at York9's kit party reveal #14 in a poster aside from Ingham, Pena. [19 left]

Tommy Wheeldon Jr. Said In an interview that the final spot would be given to one of Gabriel Bitar/Easton Ingaro, both USports draft picks. Hope the other receives a developmental contract until August and preserves his college eligibility to return to school [18 left] 

FC Edmonton have CB - Jackson Farmer and FB - Jordan Haynes both on trial, expect one or both to sign [16/17 left]

Molham Babouli is likely to sign with either York 9 or Forge after his season in the MASL ends on April 14th [15/16 left] 

Forge: Should Hamilton opt to occupy their remaining 3 slots open, Got Game trialist - Taha Ilyass, USports draft picks; Mandekic, Sissoko, Kotsopolous As well as others + Babouli in the equation are all front runner candidates [12/13]

Valour: Louis Beland Goyette, the local 19-year old goalkeeper Svyatik Artemenko 

who's Canadian-Ukrainan and was picked out at the Got Game a Trials in WPG last October along with Tyler Attardo, He played for Manitoba at the Canada Games, he's very much fighting to be the 3rd string keeper should Gale need it.

Ryan Brandt has pretty much hinted that "Edgar is coming to the CPL once his season is over in England and has one likely suitor." Well since he's the insider for Valour you can pretty much guess! Finally last but not least, the Uruguayan Legend Diego Forlan. He was rumoured to join a few months back, and it's almost a COINCIDENCE that he's in The DR at the exact same place and week doing a clinic, let's see if a deal gets done. [8/9 left] 

Pacific have  MF - Thomas Gardner and Trialist - Mamadi Camara at camp and they are the most talented of the Wolfpack who's in there, rumour has it Adam Straith wants to come home in Juky after his season in 3.Liga (Germany) is over and the transfer window opens. Also a few months back there was talk that Bob Lenarduzzi had met with Simpson and Friend about a few loans from the Whitecaps to Pacific 

UBC players like; Zach verhoeven and nick Russell also in camp as draft picks. Zachary showed very well with TSS Rovers of the PDL last year, while nick was in the best XI of the freshman in the West division of USports 

Local BC players: Elie Gindo, Jake Ruby, Cam Hundal and Chris Merriman all in camp.

Internationals: Shun Katano ??  Ryan Mcurdy ?? Sean Keith ?? Cam seven ??

Most these are defenders 

[3-6 left]

So yeah, that's the summary! Hope we get an interesting out come in the coming weeks

Edited by Blackjack15

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Is there any example of over 20 players being signed so far without one of the U-Sports draft picks being involved? Think the rosters are 20 plus up to 3 U-Sports players.

Edmonton seems to have all 3 of their u sport players signed. But, 2 of them have graduated and would be on regular contracts. That brings them to 20 players total, and they still have trialists and have come out and said they are signing another player in the summer. So yes there is an example of that. I also think that the remaining Usport player is also on a full contract which would bring them up to 21 players. 

For those of you thinking I miscounted, Noah Cunningham seems to have been signed as we are able to order his jersey. That brings them to 21.

Just now, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I have never heard of a league where they have a limit on a roster with the exception of draft picks. For example, next year if Edmonton wants to keep all 3 Usport players they will have 23 players. So they will have to get rid of 3 players to get back down to 20? Doesnt make any sense.

England is 25 with players U21 not counting. 20-23 total is questionable to put it friendly, and way too thin imo. 3 players injured on a 20 man roster and you don't even have enough to name a full 18 

36 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I have never heard of a league where they have a limit on a roster with the exception of draft picks. For example, next year if Edmonton wants to keep all 3 Usport players they will have 23 players. So they will have to get rid of 3 players to get back down to 20? Doesnt make any sense.

The premier league and champions league both have squad limits. 

We are going to see some major shifts with keepers throughout the season. I think they should have a third keeper provision, especially short term. A guy gets a red, next match he can't be on the bench even, unless they decide to be unorthodox as a league.

Every club needs a third keeper on retainer, for reds and injuries, and for training, and they have some sort of partial contract deal.

3 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I think the point you are missing is that when the draft was announced they were mentioning that the way it works is you can draft a player and they are on some sort of developmental contract that allows them to keep their U-Sports eligibility. It's just for a single season, so you could have the same guy drafted by different teams in different years.

What BBTB is bringing up seems feasible enough to me, but I wonder if it would be exclusively for U-Sports draft picks, or if you could sign other players to a developmental contract. For example, the 17 year old on Valour, maybe he doesn't have a full contract?

So at any rate, you have heard of a league where they have roster limits on different categories of players. MLS.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/rosters/2019/toronto-fc

Senior, Supplemental, and Reserve. Those different slots I believe have salary restrictions, but I don't know that for sure because MLS. And of course you know about the DP rule and international rules, but I guess you consider that not analogous to the limit of 3 U-Sports/developmental contract type of players.

3 hours ago, Kent said:

I think the point you are missing is that when the draft was announced they were mentioning that the way it works is you can draft a player and they are on some sort of developmental contract that allows them to keep their U-Sports eligibility. It's just for a single season, so you could have the same guy drafted by different teams in different years.

What BBTB is bringing up seems feasible enough to me, but I wonder if it would be exclusively for U-Sports draft picks, or if you could sign other players to a developmental contract. For example, the 17 year old on Valour, maybe he doesn't have a full contract?

So at any rate, you have heard of a league where they have roster limits on different categories of players. MLS.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/rosters/2019/toronto-fc

Senior, Supplemental, and Reserve. Those different slots I believe have salary restrictions, but I don't know that for sure because MLS. And of course you know about the DP rule and international rules, but I guess you consider that not analogous to the limit of 3 U-Sports/developmental contract type of players.

That's actually exactly what I pointed out... They have 2 types of contracts for Usport players. You can go back and read if you want to. The one you mentioned and the full contracts for the players who have fully graduated from their Usport eligibility.

What I am saying is Edmonton has multiple Usport players on full contracts. But honestly, if you guys don't understand that then I'm not ever going to make sense to you. I guess you will all see later. 

My original point was only whether they need to sign all three U-sports draft picks to be able to get to a roster of 23 and as Kent points out there may well be more to it on who eventually gets the development contract. We would need to see a team with 21 signed players, more still trying out and no U-sports draft picks involved to go against the trend that appears to be emerging so far of maxing out around 20 rather than 23. As the weeks pass we should be able to figure it all out even without a webpage telling us the rules and regulations and it's more a puzzle to try to work out collectively than something to argue over, in my opinion.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

Nathan Ingham has officially signed for York 9.

Now, I noticed in FM that he's set as "Native American" or Indigenous... but is he actually? I am not sure if one of the FM scouts weren't from here and misunderstood what that ethnicity was. If he is - he'd be the first First Nations player to sign to the league, which is exciting

Edited by yellowsweatygorilla
He clarified on twitter that he is not

Interesting read from an Italian striker Valerio Anastasi that went on trial at Cavarly FC:

https://www.mlssocceritalia.com/lesperienza-di-valerio-anastasi-in-prova-in-canada-al-cavalry-fc/

" Last November I received the call from Tommy Wheeldon , the Cavalry FC coach , he told me he had watched my videos and he wanted to see me live. In January I terminated the contract with what was my team and flew to Calgary. I must say that I found a higher level than I expected even though they have a totally different concept of football from ours. They are technically good, they run a lot but, for example, compared to how I play, they touch the ball too much. In general, compared to Italy, where we usually play with two touches there, they expect more, let's say they make fewer touches than before”.

" After two training sessions I had an ankle problem that kept me a few days. Later I recovered and I think I also went well as the coach told me that he would evaluate me because he saw in me characteristics of a European striker that in his opinion are not found in the Canadian ones nor in the South Americans. He told me he would evaluate two other players in the following two weeks and he would let me know. I actually got the answer after fifty days. They had taken another player, it was Dominique Malonga , ex of Cesena ".

Unfortunately, this is the opinion of Valerio, the quality of Italian C-Series players abroad, would not be taken into consideration as it should, despite the fact that it is a very difficult championship where competition, physicality and tactics go hand in hand.

When I see a C player they don't give him the value they might deserve. For example, in the Halifax team ( HFX Wanderers FC, ed) there are many players from Trinidad and Tobago (coach Stephen Hart is trinidadiano, ed), I say with all respect to them, but I don't think they are stronger of us Italians from the minor series. However, they play in the national team and in first division teams, so this favors them while we, coming from the Serie C, penalize a bit abroad ”.

14 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

... they touch the ball too much. In general, compared to Italy, where we usually play with two touches there, they expect more, let's say they make fewer touches than before” ...

That's the big thing I noticed on moving to Canada over 30 years ago and playing at a much less exalted level. That and how quiet players in Canada tend to be in terms of giving advice to teammates about what to do when they receive the ball. Find it a bit depressing that sort of comment is being made about soon to be pro level players, but not all that surprised.

28 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

When I see a C player they don't give him the value they might deserve. For example, in the Halifax team ( HFX Wanderers FC, ed) there are many players from Trinidad and Tobago (coach Stephen Hart is trinidadiano, ed), I say with all respect to them, but I don't think they are stronger of us Italians from the minor series. However, they play in the national team and in first division teams, so this favors them while we, coming from the Serie C, penalize a bit abroad ”.

Boo hoo.  That's every Canadian playing abroad (and domestically in some cases).

Good read, he seems gracious and he’s complimentary of the level despite not earning a deal.  I hope things work out for him.. but now Iceland div 2? 

Nice memory about watching the super bowl at ledgerwoods.

He seemed impressed and didn’t want to crap on the league.  It would be easy to be a snob in his situation and act like it was amateur. He doesn’t seem as high on USL.

Edited by Keegan

6 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Boo hoo.  That's every Canadian playing abroad (and domestically in some cases).

Yeah, I have to say it feels pretty nice to see an Italian saying he loses respect in our league because he is Italian, and not Canadian or Trini. If you are an international you are going to have to be better than the local players to get on the team.