Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

34 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

He’s plenty good enough to make any CPL roster.  

In other words, you think he’d displace the strikers that have already been signed? All of them? I don’t think he’s much more than  Andrea Lombardo was for example. 

1 hour ago, Ams1984 said:

In other words, you think he’d displace the strikers that have already been signed? All of them? I don’t think he’s much more than  Andrea Lombardo was for example. 

While he only showed glimmers of form at the MLS level, Mo Babouli was completely dominant at L1O level and was exemplary at the USL level. He can also play CAM and I believe is versatile enough to play other attacking positions. I think he'd easily slot into any CanPL side, let alone York 9. There's no way he is Lombardo level (though again, to be fair to Lombardo, he had no opportunities after being cut from TFC).

55 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

While he only showed glimmers of form at the MLS level, Mo Babouli was completely dominant at L1O level and was exemplary at the USL level. He can also play CAM and I believe is versatile enough to play other attacking positions. I think he'd easily slot into any CanPL side, let alone York 9. There's no way he is Lombardo level (though again, to be fair to Lombardo, he had no opportunities after being cut from TFC).

The goalie was just awful in the highlights.    Doesn’t move on some of the shots

6 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

I guess better soccer minds than mine will determine if he should get a shot. If he does, I wish him well. Hopefully he proves me wrong! 

If only I had control of how a few clubs rosters would be finalized, (round up their 23 man roster) this what I would do: 

GK - Nathan Ingham, MF - Emmanuel Zambazis, and FW Molham Babouli sign with York 9 

GK - Angelo Cavalluzo, MF - Aleksa Markovic, and ST - Jace Kotsopoulus signs with Forge FC 

GK - Svyatik Artemenko, MF - Louis Beland Goyette, CF - Moses Danto sign for Valour 

DF - David Edgar, MF - Kris Twardek, FW- Ian Hume return home  with HFX Wanderers once their seasons are done 

USports Draft Pick - Thomas Gardner (MF) and trialist CF - Mamadi Camara sign with Pacific FC as well as FB - Jordan Haynes/Jackson Farmer to cover for MDJ (whichever doesn't get offered a contract with FC Edmonton ) 

Cavalry FC sign the number one overall pick Gabriel Bitar (ST)

Man does Canada have talent, but even with the CPL here; there will always be players who will somehow go under the radar simply because the coaches didn't think of them or whatever reason

Paul Beirne said the league will fix a big problem "More Canadians playing at highest level for longer periods of time" 

Of course some of the players I listed are unlikely for example, * Ingham - will be a shame if he doesn't land anywhere and is unnattached this year * Markovic - Hamilton native who played for Canada U20, and recently released in December from Serbian SuperLiga side Zemun, bobby smirnyotis doesn't know of him!! Because he's too busy signing 80% of his own sigma graduates 

Angelo Cavalluzo, Former TFC II GK; should more than deserve a shot to be the back up to Quillan Roberts as Triston Henry is very weak.

What the hell happened to Moses Danto? He was one of the best players of the PDL in 2018

Anyhow, Excited for Pre season In the Dominican! 

3 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

DF - David Edgar, MF - Kris Twardek, FW- Ian Hume return home  with HFX Wanderers once their seasons are done

Twardek is already under contract until the end of the year; the Irish league plays a summer schedule too.

Stefan Cebara would be an excellent alternative though.

15 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

If only I had control of how a few clubs rosters would be finalized, (round up their 23 man roster) this what I would do: 

GK - Nathan Ingham, MF - Emmanuel Zambazis, and FW Molham Babouli sign with York 9 

GK - Angelo Cavalluzo, MF - Aleksa Markovic, and ST - Jace Kotsopoulus signs with Forge FC 

GK - Svyatik Artemenko, MF - Louis Beland Goyette, CF - Moses Danto sign for Valour 

USports Draft Pick - Thomas Gardner (MF) and trialist CF - Mamadi Camara sign with Pacific FC as well as FB - Jordan Haynes/Jackson Farmer to cover for MDJ (whichever doesn't get offered a contract with FC Edmonton ) 

Cavalry FC sign the number one overall pick Gabriel Bitar (ST)

Man does Canada have talent, but even with the CPL here; there will always be players who will somehow go under the radar simply because the coaches didn't think of them or whatever reason

Paul Beirne said the league will fix a big problem "More Canadians playing at highest level for longer periods of time" 

Of course some of the players I listed are unlikely for example, * Ingham - will be a shame if he doesn't land anywhere and is unnattached this year * Markovic - Hamilton native who played for Canada U20, and recently released in December from Serbian SuperLiga side Zemun, bobby smirnyotis doesn't know of him!! Because he's too busy signing 80% of his own sigma graduates 

Angelo Cavalluzo, Former TFC II GK; should more than deserve a shot to be the back up to Quillan Roberts as Triston Henry is very weak.

What the hell happened to Moses Danto? He was one of the best players of the PDL in 2018

Anyhow, Excited for Pre season In the Dominican! 

A number of people have been saying Cavalluzzo is retiring.

3 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Yea, he retired. Coaching is a lot more lucrative than playing in the CanPL/USL. Hopefully this changes in the coming years.

It seems like being a firefighter, accountant and managing a pizza rest is more lucrative than playing in old NASL/USL/CPL.  Maybe Cavalluzo's injury was more serious than reported.  

If you look at the rosters, they are very heavy on players in the 18-25 age range beyond the relatively small number of "foundational signings" and import players. There comes a point after that age range when you need to start bringing home the bacon rather than chasing the dream once a wife and kids enters the equation. Beyond that I don't think it's sensible to equate CanPL with FCE and the Fury during the latter stages of the NASL after the Cosmos entered or with the teams at the upper end of the range in the USL Championship this summer, given the latter either were or are not inhibited from trying to simply buy on-field success by a league-imposed salary cap.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

28 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Seems like there's a few players who have been signed but haven't been announced being leaked on the shop sites custom jersey feature.

Nathan Ingham is apparently with York9.

Anyone else? 

I read that Blake Smith signed with PFC.  solid signing for them to replace MDJ at fullback. 

From reddit... There might be a few more.

York9: Nathan Ingham, Adrian Pena

Pacific FC: Graham Smith (?) - Vic native, played with the old USL Whitecaps

Cavalry FC: David Loturi, José Escalante (Honduran mid who was rumoured to join)

FC Edmonton: Noah Cunningham

Adrian Pena appears to have been rookie of the year in the CSL in 2008 as a TFC Academy player:

https://www.canadasoccer.com/?pid=2511&t=profile&

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Canadian_Soccer_League_season#Individual_awards

TFC Academy produced the Rookie of the Year with Adrian Pena.

and shows up on Linkedin as head coach and technical trainer of Vaughan soccer club.

https://ca.linkedin.com/pub/dir/Adrian/Peña/ca-0-Canada

and has played for York Lions:

https://yorkulions.ca/roster.aspx?rp_id=985

---------------

Noah Cunningham has been with FCE previously as a reserves player:

https://canadasoccer.com/?pid=3689&t=profile&

---------------

David Loturi is a local player from Calgary:

http://www.saittrojans.com/sports/msoc/2018-19/bios/loturi_david_mcdn

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

Not many spots left to fill; here's where the clubs' rosters are at currently and how many foreign slots they have left:

• Cavalry: 20 players signed, 2 foreign slots left
  • Edmonton: 20 players signed, 1 foreign slot left assuming Ameobi will have his permanent residency in time
  • Forge: 20 players signed, 3 foreign slots left
  • Halifax: 21 players signed, no foreign slots left
  • Pacific: 15 players signed, 6 foreign slots left
  • Valour: 19 players signed, 3 foreign slots left
  • York 9: 20 players signed, 5 foreign slots left

3 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

From reddit... There might be a few more.

York9: Nathan Ingham, Adrian Pena

Pacific FC: Graham Smith (?) - Vic native, played with the old USL Whitecaps

Cavalry FC: David Loturi, José Escalante (Honduran mid who was rumoured to join)

FC Edmonton: Noah Cunningham

Blake Smith - released from FCC on March 7. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blake_Smith

An FCC fan is the one that posted about it so I’m pretty sure he’s the one and he’s a much better signing than Graham.  This guy was a starter on the best USL squad so this is huge in more ways than one. 

The optics are that an upper tier American in the USL (who had an MLS deal just a month ago) chose CPL.  That’s saying a lot.