Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

Many are not realistic, but a few players who are about to be out of contract according to transfermarkt include:

Twardek June 30

Elva June 30

Ricky Gomes June 30

David Edgar June 30

Simeon Jackson May 31

Stanese June 30

Froese June 30

Fresenga FA

Cebara FA

Harry Paton May 31

Hemati June 30

Messoudi FA

2 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

Many are not realistic, but a few players who are about to be out of contract according to transfermarkt include:

Twardek June 30

Elva June 30

Ricky Gomes June 30

David Edgar June 30

Simeon Jackson May 31

Stanese June 30

Froese June 30

Fresenga FA

Cebara FA

Harry Paton May 31

Hemati June 30

Messoudi FA

I'm curious who you would consider unrealistic. Elva is likely beyond CPL at this point, but which others?

5 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

Twardek June 30

Elva June 30

Ricky Gomes June 30

David Edgar June 30

Simeon Jackson May 31

Stanese June 30

Froese June 30

Fresenga FA

Cebara FA

Harry Paton May 31

Hemati June 30

Messoudi FA

Sebastian Breza’s  contract is up aswell. Man he would be amazing in the CPL. He’s played well in Italy and he did say his dream was to play for Montreal. So CPL could be a great  springboard for him. Also if Quebec City gets a team or another Montreal team. 

Oh I hope the CPL  grows fast, we need more teams! Ottawa , Quebec City, Moncton,  and Regina they all have  stadiums ready to go ! 

13 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I'm curious who you would consider unrealistic. Elva is likely beyond CPL at this point, but which others?

By unrealistic, I more so meant that many of these players contracts being up doesn't mean they aren't being extended or that they're willing to come back to North America mid-season. All of the players that I listed were players that I considered to be at least mid-level CPL guys. I think we see at least a few of these guys in the league eventually but maybe not this summer. 

Obviously Elva has high potential but we've seen Borges come over through similar circumstances. Froese is the one I'd be most excited about. He could really help a HFX/Valour/Pacific with their offensive woes

Edited by Pottsy3

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Forge could use him for CONCACAF League

I agree! I'm not sure if he could fit into the salary structure but he could be the missing piece the team needs to push forward, Forge are playing good attacking football but could really use a pure finisher!

1 minute ago, gator said:

I agree! I'm not sure if he could fit into the salary structure but he could be the missing piece the team needs to push forward, Forge are playing good attacking football but could really use a pure finisher!

Forge is not that far off to realistically expect them to not only compete in CL but make it to KO. Just need a Jackson to bury opportunities 

I like Jackson and think coming to the CPL would be great for him and the league. He has great experience to pass on. I loved him in his Norwich days and thought he was unlucky not to be given more playing time back then. 

I think people assuming he would be a clinical finisher and scoring goals for fun are likely off base though. Putting aside his age/fitness his goals over the last few seasons

2018/19           6  (32 app)

2017/18           1  (14 app)

2016/17           7   (41 app)

2015/16           2   (29 app)

2014/15           3  (30 app)

Those are varying levels too. His best goal tally was in league one (close to comparable to CPL) that said this year in the Scottish premier league he almost bested that at the age of 32. 

Will be interesting to see if any of the teams has left a significant chunk of their salary budget unused for the spring season to make a significant summer window signing possible (assuming all the existing player contracts are guaranteed for the full season and players can't be randomly placed on waivers at the whim of management). FCE were talking about it at one stage but I suspect that money ultimately went to sign Amer Didic.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Is there a salary budget? Every business has a salary budget but do all the teams have the same? Im also curious if the nature of the start up aspect if it was a 6 month budget and if teams were going to re access their budget come July 1st based on revenue ytd and clearer vision of what they can expect to make in the 2nd half of the year. Im not sure if they could have projected much back in January

Edited by SpursFlu

I could imagine Forge qualifying for concacaf and picking up a name or two like Edgar, Jackson, Jakovic, Vitoria etc. 

It would be Bob Young’s team and he can do whatever he wants (I’m sure) and it would look good on the league to do well in concacaf.

I also wonder about loans.. for instance if Forge is in the CL why not loan Okello for a bit if you’re tfc?  

Edited by CanadaFan123

With such a short first season and options being wider open for players being available I would be surprised if most teams hadn't left a little in the pot for summer moves. 

Edmonton still apparently have someone lined up. Pacific certainly have roster space if not the money and need someone. 

Maybe an unpopular opinion but I think Forge also need a standout CB almost as much as a Striker. Maybe Krutzen and Owundi can grow in they are looking better game to game. I am not at all convinced with Samuel however. 

It’s just a marketing thing too.  You HAVE to have made plans for teams to make transfers mid season.  

It would be clever if they set a softish cap for the spring season and had a cap that was 70-100k higher for the fall season.  That way you would have every team able to add 1-2 impact players in the window and set up for the rest of summer/fall, when I Imagine attendances will climb.

Now is the time when you cherry pick guys off mls rosters on loan etc as teams realize they have no need for guys or need to make space but want to hold onto the player.  You have to imagine a guy like Jakovic can be had at a fraction of his salary on loan.

Edited by CanadaFan123

https://www.uslleaguetwo.com/news_article/show/1023616

Looking at the USL League 2 Top 50 Players there might be a couple players on Canadian teams that could make the jump if not this year then maybe next year.

50 - Arabim Pepple - MF - Foothills - 2002-12-25
38 - Goteh Ntignee - FW - Highlanders - 2002-05-10
15 - Matteo Polisi - FW - TSS Rovers - 1998-04-15 (former Whitecaps Academy)

Anybody have any more insight into these players?  Nice to see Ntignee and Pepple playing League 2 at such a young age.

On 6/3/2019 at 5:48 PM, CanadaFan123 said:

It’s just a marketing thing too.  You HAVE to have made plans for teams to make transfers mid season.  

It would be clever if they set a softish cap for the spring season and had a cap that was 70-100k higher for the fall season.  That way you would have every team able to add 1-2 impact players in the window and set up for the rest of summer/fall, when I Imagine attendances will climb.

On 6/3/2019 at 2:28 PM, SpursFlu said:

Is there a salary budget? Every business has a salary budget but do all the teams have the same? Im also curious if the nature of the start up aspect if it was a 6 month budget and if teams were going to re access their budget come July 1st based on revenue ytd and clearer vision of what they can expect to make in the 2nd half of the year. Im not sure if they could have projected much back in January

Has there ever been an official hard number on a cap?  We speculated endlessly and mostly pointlessly about where that level would be trying to judge the talent level coming into year one.  But are we even sure there is one??

If Valour want to bring in Edgar, or Forge want to bring in Jackson etc mid season, do you think the league will just let it happen? 

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

Has there ever been an official hard number on a cap?  We speculated endlessly and mostly pointlessly about where that level would be trying to judge the talent level coming into year one.  But are we even sure there is one??

If Valour want to bring in Edgar, or Forge want to bring in Jackson etc mid season, do you think the league will just let it happen? 

My guess is that the salary cap is still "a work in progress". They have no obligation to say anything as of now.

For instance now Forge could project out the additional revenue of a Concacaf league 3 or 4 game run. Players salaries dont go up with these games other than travel cost its kinda like found money. That coupled with the positive marketing that comes with beating reputable Central American teams and the being in Champions League. I cant see why you wouldn't throw a couple hundred k at your roster this transfer window

15 minutes ago, Ansem said:

My guess is that the salary cap is still "a work in progress". They have no obligation to say anything as of now.

My point is we are acting as if there is a hard cap limiting signings and we dont even know if there is one.  I dont think I have heard one thing about specific wages for any team or player. 

A "work in progress" could have been as simple as lets not slit each others throats with big spending until we have had a few months to see how things are going?  

After only a couple of posts Ansem's guess starts to be talked about as if it came from the league. Most of the teams are almost maxed out on roster size, so if player contracts are guaranteed for the full season any activity in the summer window is going to be quite limited  in scope. 

Tom Fath was adamant about needing a sustainable model before FCE would return so don't hold your breath on another NASL style wage inflation spiral unfolding to fund the sort of signings some of you crave. This league appears to want to hang around for the long haul.