Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

Louis Beland Goyette trialing with Valour FC! Scored in pre-season action says Ryan Brandt On Twitter 

Happy for this guy, he really deserves the opportunity; hope he gets signed by Rob Gale.

Would have been tragic to lose a player of this caliber again, CPL may have arrived at the right time; cause who knows maybe after the MTL Impact released him he didn't have any offers  

3 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

Louis Beland Goyette trialing with Valour FC! Scored in pre-season action says Ryan Brandt On Twitter 

Happy for this guy, he really deserves the opportunity; hope he gets signed by Rob Gale.

Would have been tragic to lose a player of this caliber again, CPL may have arrived at the right time; cause who knows maybe after the MTL Impact released him he didn't have any offers  

Surprised he'd need to trial having just played for the Impact

From what I've seen, the Peruvian league is better than what the Inaugural season will be. I can see Perea and Juan Diego Guti do very well here, and Peruvians are cheap due to bad administration. Raul Ruidiaz left to Monarcas on a free as one of many examples. 

4 hours ago, LatinInuk said:

From what I've seen, the Peruvian league is better than what the Inaugural season will be. I can see Perea and Juan Diego Guti do very well here, and Peruvians are cheap due to bad administration. Raul Ruidiaz left to Monarcas on a free as one of many examples. 

Having seen a few Peruvian games live myself, I can attest that it falls under the weak MLS to high level USL stream and will likely be half a notch to a notch better than the CPL during their first year.

14 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

LBG is someone I will never understand.  He seems like that prototypical player that always appears in national team games but I cannot fathom why.  I file him with Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault, Ethan Gage, JGL, Chris Manella etc.  They must be beasts during training because they look out of their depth during games. 

So Mark Anthony Gonzalez born in 1994 which makes him 25 in 2019, played with Real Salt Lake’s MLS USL side in the 2016 and 2017 Real Monarchs, won a USL championship with the Monarchs and was one of their better players throughout. Was with the Reno Nevada USL team last season. He also played with the Canadaian U23 team in their exhibition games in Quatar a few years back. He is now back in the Toronto area but has retired from soccer. I have it on good authority he was offered a contract in the CPL and basically said the money was not worth it to continue and would rather retire. It’s too bad because these are the sort of players that are perfect for the CPL . A few other’s that come to mind who it looks like have recently retired on the eve of the CPL are guys like Daniel Haber and the goalie Tomer Chencinski . You would think with the start of a national pro soccer league in Canada guys like this who are still pretty young and have played pro at decent levels around the world would want to continue now that a Canadian league is now here, strange .

8 minutes ago, 1996 said:

...I have it on good authority he was offered a contract in the CPL and basically said the money was not worth it to continue and would rather retire. It’s too bad because these are the sort of players that are perfect for the CPL. A few other’s that come to mind who it looks like have recently retired on the eve of the CPL are guys like Daniel Haber and the goalie Tomer Chencinski ...

Not too surprising if the going rate as a starter is 35k as has been claimed by people close to the Ottawa Fury and they have no viable options elsewhere. At some point you need to get on with the rest of your life and the younger you do that the easier it is to carve out a successful career doing something else.

4 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Not too surprising if the going rate as a starter is 35k as has been claimed by people close to the Ottawa Fury and they have no viable options elsewhere. At some point you need to get on with the rest of your life and the younger you do that the easier it is to carve out a successful career doing something else.

I was hoping that I’d be able to change the subject before you had the opportunity to make this comment. Oh well. We have more players than ever that aren’t being forced into this decision. I choose to focus on that. We’re heading in the right direction

Not sure why you feel a need to post something like this. If players like those three don't want a CanPL contract maybe some of the younger guys that do will use the opportunity to make it big? Also don't think players like that are worth spending extra money on in a way that increases the risk of unsustainable financial losses. Doubt they would make more than a marginal difference in entertainment product terms.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

25 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I hear you in terms of the younger you start the easier it is to carve out a successful career in the real world. However, I still kind of admire guys who try to keep the dream alive going to one day play in a higher league and make some decent money. A guy like Mark Anthony Kaye comes to mind. He could have easily called it a day once TFC cut him, however, he went to the USL which I’m sure he was propably making no more than 35000 or so and kept at it and now look at him today. I’m different I guess I look at things differently sometimes, you have the rest of your life to work a normal job from 9 to 5 but only so many years to enjoy shooting to play a sport at the highest level possible. So to give that dream up even at say 25 is a bit sad for some of these players who actually have some potential. Starting to work in the real world at even 30 there is nothing wrong with that. At 30 you still have what 35 years of real work to do and still enough time to build a real real working career. But I realize everyone thinks differently so I can see why I guy will give up that dream a lot earlier even at 25.

Edited by 1996

13 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Not sure why you feel a need to post something like this.

Because you've never passed up an opportunity to portray the league as minor/developmental, which is not how the league portrays itself. This topic was right in your wheelhouse, and I find it destructive 

In reality, the league talks endlessly about its role in developing young Canadian players and has deliberately structured itself to not be like FC Edmonton were in the NASL in terms of having an import heavy roster, so that can be accomplished. At the same time the league has to be sustainable financially and the higher salary caps some on here craved would have been a one way ticket to bankruptcy.  The Fury clearly think paying 70k is the better way to go on starter salaries, but if as I recently read, they need 7500-10000 paid to break even, I would question how long they will be able to keep that going.

47 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

Because you've never passed up an opportunity to portray the league as minor/developmental, which is not how the league portrays itself. This topic was right in your wheelhouse, and I find it destructive 

Pro soccer leagues around the world unless  you are the EPL, La Liga, Serie A, League 1 and the Bundesliga the big four more or Less can all be considered development leagues . You think a fan in even Mexico watching Liga MX doesn’t realize that that young star player he maybe watching playing for his club if that player continues to play well will one day move on to one of the big four leagues in Europe? Therefore, knowing your league is more or less a development league should not stop anyone from still going out and supporting your team and league.

34 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

More info about Babouli but I can't tell if this guy has inside knowledge of things or is just speculating:

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports17/17l1o160.htm

Babouli had some time with Sigma FC in 2017.  He scored a goal in the above game against OSUF.  

I like the comment I made based on talking with a Sigma coach about him 'showcasing his talents for the new Canadian Premier League'.      

1 hour ago, 1996 said:

Pro soccer leagues around the world unless  you are the EPL, La Liga, Serie A, League 1 and the Bundesliga the big four more or Less can all be considered development leagues . You think a fan in even Mexico watching Liga MX doesn’t realize that that young star player he maybe watching playing for his club if that player continues to play well will one day move on to one of the big four leagues in Europe? Therefore, knowing your league is more or less a development league should not stop anyone from still going out and supporting your team and league.

You're right. We're all just development squads for Real Madrid. It's too bad Mark Anthony Gonzalez left the sport. I think he could have really flourished under Zizou's tutelage. 

Alphonso Davies is flourishing under Niko Kovac at Bayern Munich, because he was too good to hang around long in MLS. Players that show a bit of promise in CanPL will quickly move onto bigger and better things in a similar sort of way. The launch of a league like CanPL was pushed relentlessly by the CSA for around a decade as a way to provide more young Canadian players with an opportunity to get their foot on the first rung of the pro level ladder. Fingers crossed that it will have been worth the wait.

On 3/30/2019 at 7:16 AM, Senorpopps said:

Having seen a few Peruvian games live myself, I can attest that it falls under the weak MLS to high level USL stream and will likely be half a notch to a notch better than the CPL during their first year.

The Peruvian league standard is a lie though. There is a ton of talent here, but we're held back by tactically inept managers and lazy players who don't show much work rate. Both compliment each other too.

50% of Peruvian players who leave the league end up becoming good. Luis Abram is the most notable example, he was garbage for Cristal but is Velez' #1 choice in CB now. Raul Ruidiaz is another. He was great in Peru but very inconsistent. Now in the MLS (and Liga MX before that) he is one of the best forwards in the league.

It's really about signing actual talent, and not just players who are doing well.

4 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Not sure why you feel a need to post something like this. If players like those three don't want a CanPL contract maybe some of the younger guys that do will use the opportunity to make it big? Also don't think players like that are worth spending extra money on in a way that increases the risk of unsustainable financial losses. Doubt they would make more than a marginal difference in entertainment product terms.

That should be obvious...it's because you always come up with a negative spin...Every Single Time.

On 3/31/2019 at 4:40 PM, longlugan said:

That should be obvious...it's because you always come up with a negative spin...Every Single Time.

What was his negative spin this time? 1996 said that he found it strange that Mark Anthony Gonzalez and a couple others retired just when the CPL was starting out. He also said he had it on good authority that Mark was offered a CPL contract and that the money wasn't worth it. BBTB just reiterated that the money was likely not worth it, and then his spin was that with that open spot a younger prospect can get it and hopefully flourish into something even better than Gonzalez. That's it. If anyone else on this site writes the exact same words it doesn't get all this hate.

On 3/31/2019 at 12:54 PM, mpg_29 said:

More info about Babouli but I can't tell if this guy has inside knowledge of things or is just speculating:

I don't know if he is still in the loop or not, but for anyone who doesn't know, this guy used to write for wakingthered and did have some amount of inside knowledge in the TFC world back then.

Come to York 9 Mo!

15 minutes ago, Kent said:

I don't know if he is still in the loop or not, but for anyone who doesn't know, this guy used to write for wakingthered and did have some amount of inside knowledge in the TFC world back then.

Come to York 9 Mo!

I’m not sure if he’s good enough.