Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

21 hours ago, Bison44 said:

You think Petrasso is still in England?? What are the chances of him finding a club like Edgar did?? 

Or maybe he is burning up the phones back in canada trying to find a place to play for 2019.  

Rumor in Winnipeg is that Valour FC is interested in Petrasso and may be signing him. 

21 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Canada’s David Edgar on future CPL move: ‘It’s a possibility’

https://canpl.ca/article/canadas-david-edgar-on-future-cpl-move-its-a-possibility

It’s looking likely that he has signed for Valour.  I was sort of thinking he might end up in Halifax or pacific with his cmnt connections.  

My hope for him is that he gets his feet wet in CPL and then heads a KWU CPL bid as a franchise player and maybe even a Simpson/Friend type role.  

5 minutes ago, Keegan said:

It’s looking likely that he has signed for Valour.  I was sort of thinking he might end up in Halifax or pacific with his cmnt connections.  

My hope for him is that he gets his feet wet in CPL and then heads a KWU CPL bid as a franchise player and maybe even a Simpson/Friend type role.  

I don't see anything in that article that gives any indication of that...

38 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

I don't see anything in that article that gives any indication of that...

Ryan Brandt is a Winnipeg writer who has some insider knowledge.  Seems to be a formula of the league that they have insiders dropping hints.  

Could be wrong of course but that’s the writing on the wall I see.

2 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Scratch Callum Irving from the list, headed back to Ottawa. Odd timing of this move, possibly he got more money from the Fury?

I think it's more a case of Ottawa not getting the back-up goalkeeper they wanted. 

Edited by Blackdude

10 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

I think it's more a case of Ottawa not getting the back-up goalkeeper they wanted. 

Hard to see Monsalve as the starter and Irving as the backup. If Irving was signed as backup no wonder their payroll is so high, they could have easily signed a cheaper, younger guy.

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

Ryan Brandt is a Winnipeg writer who has some insider knowledge...

There was no doubt contact and Ryan Brandt has been dropping hints on that basis, but it's a bit of a stretch to spin the move to Hartlepool as anything other than him hoping to get another two or three extra seasons at lower league level in England before winding things down in CanPL.

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Hard to see Monsalve as the starter and Irving as the backup. If Irving was signed as backup no wonder their payroll is so high, they could have easily signed a cheaper, younger guy.

I think that the plan was to get Beaulieu as a backup or someone else as a starter when that didn't pan out because of his injury and the uncertainty of the Fury, they couldn't get the goalkeeper they wanted and by the time that the season started, and they thought that maybe Monsalve needs more competition. 

In a recent Instagram story by Forge it shows Roberts with another GK, Spiro Koskinas. I don't know anything about him but could he be the third GK for Forge?

edit: Looks like he played for Toronto Skillz in 2017.

Edited by Vince193

Petrasso vs Kaye is the perfect example of the margins in football.  Both players had their MNT breakthrough with OZ, starting with their U23 call to Qatar. 

Headed into the 2017 Gold Cup Kaye is a USL player while Petrasso has played League 1/Championship level.  In the tournament Petrasso plays out of position at RB and is a key player on the MNT while Kaye sees some time playing in central midfield.  

Fast forward to 2018 and both players transfer to MLS sides.  Both immediately see time with Petrasso being used at RB (presumably because he's playing there with Canada) and Kaye playing a natural role at CM.  Now we know where the story goes and one is a relative star in MLS and the other just signed for Valour.  

I have no doubt Petrasso could play in MLS, it's crazy he never got a shot in his natural position even once.  This is a nice pick up for CPL on the back of the De Jong news.