lazlo_80

Players you expect to see in the CPL

After only a couple of posts Ansem's guess starts to be talked about as if it came from the league. Most of the teams are almost maxed out on roster size, so if player contracts are guaranteed for the full season any activity in the summer window is going to be quite limited  in scope. 

Tom Fath was adamant about needing a sustainable model before FCE would return so don't hold your breath on another NASL style wage inflation spiral unfolding to fund the sort of signings some of you crave. This league appears to want to hang around for the long haul.

Does it say anywhere there is a cap on roster size??  We have a 21-23 player variation on the CPL site so at least a few teams could sign someone.  I know that is probably a NASL style inflation spiral so we better watch out.  In fact we better look into **** canning some of the more successful players to save on wages, just to be safe.  

And again, the main question was...does anyone have any actual real info on a salary cap??  A lot of people talk like they are spouting facts.  If someone has  a quote that doesnt contain "esitmate, around or ish" in it, I wish they would enlighten me.  

6 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

For instance now Forge could project out the additional revenue of a Concacaf league 3 or 4 game run. Players salaries dont go up with these games other than travel cost its kinda like found money. That coupled with the positive marketing that comes with beating reputable Central American teams and the being in Champions League. I cant see why you wouldn't throw a couple hundred k at your roster this transfer window

A couple hundred thousand?  What?  Really?  With the attendances we've seen, how much money is a CanPL team really going to make on a couple of Concacaf games after travel and other expenses?

I suspect our league isn't at the point where this type of math actually works.

10 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Has there ever been an official hard number on a cap?  We speculated endlessly and mostly pointlessly about where that level would be trying to judge the talent level coming into year one.  But are we even sure there is one??

If Valour want to bring in Edgar, or Forge want to bring in Jackson etc mid season, do you think the league will just let it happen? 

Yes, there is a league wide salary cap. You can take that to the bank.

No hard number that I am aware of but I think we all know it is in the $700k ballpark, give or take a hundred grand.

9 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Does it say anywhere there is a cap on roster size??  We have a 21-23 player variation on the CPL site so at least a few teams could sign someone.... 

https://canpl.ca/article/cpl-commissioner-serious-handcuffs-on-roster-rules-will-spur-canadian-player-development

...“The team owners were clear — this had to be about developing Canadians,” Clanachan told BBC Sport’s Matt Davis. “We put very serious handcuffs on what rosters could look like.”

Indeed, those rules focus on the net benefit to Canadian talents, as Clanachan affirmed that the league’s roster limitations will help drive that initiative.

A maximum of seven international players on rosters of 20-23 players and a minimum of six Canadians in each starting XI ensure those minutes will be afforded.

And young players won’t be left behind, either, as Clanachan outlined that each club must bring on three players 21 or under, and vet them with 1,000 combined minutes of play throughout the season...

17 hours ago, Ansem said:

My guess is that the salary cap is still "a work in progress". They have no obligation to say anything as of now.

I doubt it is a work in progress. Would make very little sense for a team like Cavalry to fill their roster to the max 23 players if there was a chance the cap could jump up