Jump to content
lazlo_80

Players you expect to see in the CPL

Recommended Posts

Does it say anywhere there is a cap on roster size??  We have a 21-23 player variation on the CPL site so at least a few teams could sign someone.  I know that is probably a NASL style inflation spiral so we better watch out.  In fact we better look into **** canning some of the more successful players to save on wages, just to be safe.  

And again, the main question was...does anyone have any actual real info on a salary cap??  A lot of people talk like they are spouting facts.  If someone has  a quote that doesnt contain "esitmate, around or ish" in it, I wish they would enlighten me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

For instance now Forge could project out the additional revenue of a Concacaf league 3 or 4 game run. Players salaries dont go up with these games other than travel cost its kinda like found money. That coupled with the positive marketing that comes with beating reputable Central American teams and the being in Champions League. I cant see why you wouldn't throw a couple hundred k at your roster this transfer window

A couple hundred thousand?  What?  Really?  With the attendances we've seen, how much money is a CanPL team really going to make on a couple of Concacaf games after travel and other expenses?

I suspect our league isn't at the point where this type of math actually works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Does it say anywhere there is a cap on roster size??  We have a 21-23 player variation on the CPL site so at least a few teams could sign someone.... 

https://canpl.ca/article/cpl-commissioner-serious-handcuffs-on-roster-rules-will-spur-canadian-player-development

...“The team owners were clear — this had to be about developing Canadians,” Clanachan told BBC Sport’s Matt Davis. “We put very serious handcuffs on what rosters could look like.”

Indeed, those rules focus on the net benefit to Canadian talents, as Clanachan affirmed that the league’s roster limitations will help drive that initiative.

A maximum of seven international players on rosters of 20-23 players and a minimum of six Canadians in each starting XI ensure those minutes will be afforded.

And young players won’t be left behind, either, as Clanachan outlined that each club must bring on three players 21 or under, and vet them with 1,000 combined minutes of play throughout the season...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Ansem said:

My guess is that the salary cap is still "a work in progress". They have no obligation to say anything as of now.

I doubt it is a work in progress. Would make very little sense for a team like Cavalry to fill their roster to the max 23 players if there was a chance the cap could jump up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found this interesting tweet

I'm thinking more guys in USL will try to contact the league via their agents for a jump.

As for Canadians seeing limited minutes in MLS, more might ask their clubs to loan them to CPL or let them go.

Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ansem said:

I found this interesting tweet

I'm thinking more guys in USL will try to contact the league via their agents for a jump.

As for Canadians seeing limited minutes in MLS, more might ask their clubs to loan them to CPL or let them go.

Thoughts?

I read that and ask why - is Telfer tearing it up against weaker competition or is he that much better? I'm not sure you can use the Y9 / Fury situations as a measuring stick. If Fury gets lit up by HFX and/or Montreal is taken to the wall by York 9 then I will be much more interested in the subject. At this point I think it's more important that the CanPL show their mettle against the other leagues in all the various Concacaf play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

wonder if CPL teams take a hard look at some of these Haitian players in the Gold Cup.

A few of the young guys on their team that are still playing domestically would be interesting. Steeven Saba is only 26, starting each game in the mid and has a goal and an assist to show. Also, Alexis who plays Fullback is only 21 and got the goal to give them the lead last night.

 

I'd be more interested in some of the Bermudan guys. That team plays with some intensity and gave every opponent a run for their money. Simmons stood out as a guy who is still playing in Bermuda and can make an impact. Dale Eve at the back was also solid. 

Edited by Pottsy3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jems Geffrard played at the centre back position last night for Haiti, he plays in USL but came up with the Impact academy. He is from Canada so he would probably be happy to come back here.

Edited by HochelagaFC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HochelagaFC said:

Jems Geffrard played at the centre back position last night for Haiti, he plays in USL but came up with the Impact academy. He is from Canada so he would probably be happy to come back here.

He's under contract at Fresno but hasn't made an appearance yet this season. There's definitely a few CPL clubs that could use reinforcements at CB and considering he's domestic, he'd be a pretty ideal pickup if things don't work out for him in the USL.

Edited by Zem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the July transfer window only a few weeks away, here's a little list of interesting Canadian free agents who could potentially be significant contributors for a CPL club:
 

Goalkeepers

  • Sebastian Breza ('98, Ottawa/Montreal) Not 100% sure that he's out of contract, but recently with Potenza in the Italian Serie C where he made 8 appearances, former U20 international. Would still be an U21 player this year.
  • Tomer Chencinski ('84, Toronto via Israel) Previously with Shamrock Rovers in the Irish Premier Division, one cap for Canada. Apparently back in Canada with his family, but may be retired.
  • Ricky Gomes ('93, Kitchener) Recently with Casa Pia in the Portuguese third tier; former U20 and U23 international who received a senior team call-up in 2014.

Defenders (a lot of teams could use a centre-back or two, so I was a little more liberal with this section)

  • David Edgar ('87, Kitchener) CB, recently with Hartlepool United in the English fifth tier, 43 caps for Canada. Surely any team would love to have his experience and leadership.
  • Andrés Fresenga ('92, Toronto) RB, previously with Cerro Largo in the Uruguayan second tier, former U20 and U23 international and received senior team call-ups in 2013, 2014 and 2017.
  • Andrew Lebre ('97, Toronto) CB, recently with Ethnikos Assias in Cyprus.
  • Nick Prasad ('95, Edmonton/Surrey) CB, recently with SpVgg Bayreuth in the German fourth tier and current Fijian international with four caps. Would be a fitting addition for Pacific, who desperately need help in the centre of defense.
  • Santino Recine ('97, Montreal) CB, recently with Guadalajara in the Spanish fourth tier.
  • Steven Vitoria ('87, Toronto) CB, recently with Lechia Gdansk in the Polish Ekstraklasa, 10 caps for Canada. Unlikely since he could probably get a contract in MLS if he specifically wanted to come back to Canada, but who knows.

Midfielders

  • Kianz Froese ('96, Winnipeg via Cuba) Recently with Fortuna Dusseldorf, where he played for the reserves in the German fourth tier. Former U17 and U20 international with two senior caps.
  • Atiba Hutchinson ('83, Brampton) I mean there's a chance, right?
  • Harry Paton ('98, Kitchener) Recently with Ross County in the Scottish second tier, former U17 and U20 international. Would still be an U21 player this year.
  • Daniel Stanese ('94, Coquitlam via NYC) Recently with Energie Cottbus in the German third tier, where he made 7 appearances. Former U17 and U20 international with one senior cap in 2015.

Attackers

  • Fraser Aird ('95, Toronto) Recently on loan with Queen of the South in the Scottish second tier, former Scottish youth international with 8 caps for Canada. I believe he's still under contract at Dundee United for the upcoming season, but he was very out of favour when he was sent on loan last season so he could conceivably be on the way out via loan or release.
  • Stefan Cebara ('91, Windsor via Yugoslavia) Previously with Vojvodina in the Serbian top tier, former U20 international with 5 senior caps.
  • Simeon Jackson ('87, Mississauga via Jamaica) Recently with St. Mirren in the Scottish Premiership, 49 caps for Canada.
  • Colin Jacques ('94, Richmond) Previously with Istra 1961 in the Croatian top tier.
  • Jimmy-Shammar Sanon ('97, Montreal) Previously with the Ottawa Fury, current Haitian international with three caps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2019 at 9:29 PM, Zem said:

With the July transfer window only a few weeks away, here's a little list of interesting Canadian free agents who could potentially be significant contributors for a CPL club:
 

Goalkeepers

  • Sebastian Breza ('98, Ottawa/Montreal) Not 100% sure that he's out of contract, but recently with Potenza in the Italian Serie C where he made 8 appearances, former U20 international. Would still be an U21 player this year.
  • Tomer Chencinski ('84, Toronto via Israel) Previously with Shamrock Rovers in the Irish Premier Division, one cap for Canada. Apparently back in Canada with his family, but may be retired.
  • Ricky Gomes ('93, Kitchener) Recently with Casa Pia in the Portuguese third tier; former U20 and U23 international who received a senior team call-up in 2014.

Defenders (a lot of teams could use a centre-back or two, so I was a little more liberal with this section)

  • David Edgar ('87, Kitchener) CB, recently with Hartlepool United in the English fifth tier, 43 caps for Canada. Surely any team would love to have his experience and leadership.
  • Andrés Fresenga ('92, Toronto) RB, previously with Cerro Largo in the Uruguayan second tier, former U20 and U23 international and received senior team call-ups in 2013, 2014 and 2017.
  • Andrew Lebre ('97, Toronto) CB, recently with Ethnikos Assias in Cyprus.
  • Nick Prasad ('95, Edmonton/Surrey) CB, recently with SpVgg Bayreuth in the German fourth tier and current Fijian international with four caps. Would be a fitting addition for Pacific, who desperately need help in the centre of defense.
  • Santino Recine ('97, Montreal) CB, recently with Guadalajara in the Spanish fourth tier.
  • Steven Vitoria ('87, Toronto) CB, recently with Lechia Gdansk in the Polish Ekstraklasa, 10 caps for Canada. Unlikely since he could probably get a contract in MLS if he specifically wanted to come back to Canada, but who knows.

Midfielders

  • Kianz Froese ('96, Winnipeg via Cuba) Recently with Fortuna Dusseldorf, where he played for the reserves in the German fourth tier. Former U17 and U20 international with two senior caps.
  • Atiba Hutchinson ('83, Brampton) I mean there's a chance, right?
  • Harry Paton ('98, Kitchener) Recently with Ross County in the Scottish second tier, former U17 and U20 international. Would still be an U21 player this year.
  • Daniel Stanese ('94, Coquitlam via NYC) Recently with Energie Cottbus in the German third tier, where he made 7 appearances. Former U17 and U20 international with one senior cap in 2015.

Attackers

  • Fraser Aird ('95, Toronto) Recently on loan with Queen of the South in the Scottish second tier, former Scottish youth international with 8 caps for Canada. I believe he's still under contract at Dundee United for the upcoming season, but he was very out of favour when he was sent on loan last season so he could conceivably be on the way out via loan or release.
  • Stefan Cebara ('91, Windsor via Yugoslavia) Previously with Vojvodina in the Serbian top tier, former U20 international with 5 senior caps.
  • Simeon Jackson ('87, Mississauga via Jamaica) Recently with St. Mirren in the Scottish Premiership, 49 caps for Canada.
  • Colin Jacques ('94, Richmond) Previously with Istra 1961 in the Croatian top tier.
  • Jimmy-Shammar Sanon ('97, Montreal) Previously with the Ottawa Fury, current Haitian international with three caps.

 

 

is there any club director reading this? For sure names like Cebara, Aird and Stanese would level up the play in the league...

 

Not sure about their situations but i would also add Adam Hemati (Persepolis) and Marin Peric (several croatian clubs) on the list

Edited by Dicdan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maxime Leconte..talked about him before and he just put highlight video..really like this player..and scored the winner in the weekend in plsq against the 1st placed team to bring his team back to 1st equal on points..age shouldnt be an issue as bona came in at 29

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are still some guys orphaned out in the USL-champ.  Beckie(elpaso), Laurent/Wright (Birm), Aleman (sac), Pasher (Indy 9goals), Mallan Roberts (tulsa), Bradley Kadeem (Stlouis), Schweitzer (24 starts switchbacks), Heard (Monarchs), Z Ellis-Hayden (fresno),  Mcleaod/Comsia (INdy).  Maybe after they've seen this first year of CPL, the USL might not seem so appealing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

York 9 needs someone like Simeon Jackson. Fraser Aird should be in the CPL. 

I feel like there shouldn’t be any Canadians in the USL. They should all be in the CPL battling for playing time. 

As salaries increase the CPL should raid Central America for players and some South American countries like Chile, Venezuela. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

York 9 needs someone like Simeon Jackson. Fraser Aird should be in the CPL. 

If the salary is somewhat similar, absolutely

6 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

I feel like there shouldn’t be any Canadians in the USL. They should all be in the CPL battling for playing time. 

I think we will be heading there if teams are interested in those players, which they should be. However, due to CPL being in it's inaugural year, it made sense for most of them to see it play itself out so they had a better idea of what it was. We can all agree that the league exceeded expectations.

I expect more Canadians to be asked to be let go and/or not renewing their contracts with USL so a CPL team can pick them up, especially during the expansion phases.

Don't expect CPL paying transfer fees for them, hence mentioning that they will most likely asked to be let go or play through the end of their contract and not renew their deals.

*winks* Ottawa

10 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

As salaries increase the CPL should raid Central America for players and some South American countries like Chile, Venezuela. 

Partly true...

They might not be paid a lot in Central and South America while CPL are more likely to provide higher pay and certainly much higher quality of life, it doesn't stop their original clubs to sell high. High transfer fees is the biggest deterrent, not salaries and those clubs knows the value of those players while not paying them that much.

Good players are rarely allowed to walk for nothing, they are locked in in case a European or North American club comes knocking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

...I feel like there shouldn’t be any Canadians in the USL...

Even on the TFC II that was actively blocked from CanPL entry by Bob Young & Co? Players will always chase the largest contracts and best opportunities on offer to them, so it's naive to think the emergence of CanPL would mean no more Canadians playing at D2 and D3 level in USSF sanctioned leagues. The more Canadians that end up with fully pro contracts the better basically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Even on the TFC II that was actively blocked from CanPL entry by Bob Young & Co? Players will always chase the largest contracts and best opportunities on offer to them, so it's naive to think the emergence of CanPL would mean no more Canadians playing at D2 and D3 level in USSF sanctioned leagues. The more Canadians that end up with fully pro contracts the better basically.

Well USL 1 can have Canadians. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There will always be some Canadians in USSF leagues but USL-C and USL-1? Expect more Canadians trying to move to CPL going forward.

D2 & D3 USSF leagues giving better opportunies than CPL? Lol! I beg to differ or the "Parrot" is implying that David Choiniere has no clue what he's talking about when he left Montreal Impact to avoid a Ottawa Fury loan. More playing time + CONCACAF League has way more value on his career than being parked in Ottawa where Garde had admitted not even looking at what was being done down there when Crepeau was the league's best keeper.

But "parrot" will be "parrot"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the end of the day absolutely, as mentioned, the more opportunities for more Canadians to go pro and get playing time the better. If there is a pathway to that players will take it regardless of it being the CPL, USL or elsewhere. How players are courted, treated and how big the perceived opportunity is (playing time, coaching, potential pathway, money etc..) will always be bigger factors of where they end up. In an ideal world of course they would pick CPL first but there will always be players above and below that level that will find other routes.

It will get more interesting when more clubs get added to the CPL and the talent pool is really stretched. The bigger question for me is what is underneath and if academies and youth systems can continue to grow to fill another 7 CPL teams (although 1 new team would be nice lol) while keeping the standard high. 

League1 Ontario, the new BC league and hopefully eventually a Prairie League will help grow underneath the CPL. MLS Academies will help as much as hinder pulling players from the CPL. For all the deserved abuse Whitecaps have got and will continue to get they have done a great job monopolizing the Western front with Whitecaps academies, which is starting to churn out a lot of talented kids. Whether they have just downtrodden existing programs living off the groundwork or actually been a power of good and improved things I don't know. 

Given it looks like 1 extra team for next season might be difficult getting to 14 teams worth of Canadian players seems the best part of a decade away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...