Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

Yes, in comparison to his athletic ability, his technique and skill and soccer IQ are not so good.

But, he is a freak of an athlete.

It is easy to downplay the other areas of his game, but should we? I am starting to think he doesn't get enough credit in those other areas.

Let's not forget, 17 years old.

Like his first touch in that play, that is great first touch for any player, not to mention a 17 year old. The second touch was good too. All of the touches were good, including the finish...

So the first thing we notice, understandably, is that he is crazy fast, but Ricketts is also crazy fast and yet I could never imagine him setting himself up so nicely with those touches.

Davies has a great ability to do that. Speed without talent amounts to little.

Not that Ricketts is untalented, he's a good finisher, but when it comes to his touch, Davies is far more talented. 

Anyways, just some thoughts on Davies from me. 

Great goal.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprisingly his high soccer IQ is one of the biggest impressions he makes on coaches and players who practice with him. Robbo himself said a couple years ago that the only other player with a comparable “nose for the game” was Robbie Keane.. who is his best mate so that’s a hell of a compliment from him. Similar comments by Arfield after practicing day in and day out during senior team callup last year.

1 hour ago, miel de maple said:

Surprisingly his high soccer IQ is one of biggest impressions he makes on coaches and players who practice with him. Robbo himself said a couple years ago that the only other player with a comparable “nose for the game” was Robbie Keane.. who is his best mate so that’s a hell of a compliment from him. Similar comments by Arfield after practicing day in and day out during senior team callup last year.

I'm not doubting his attacking instincts.  There were times with the Caps last year and at the Gold Cup where I said, "Whoa, that's smart play there."  The way I define that "IQ" concept (and that's probably the wrong term) is, among other things, seeing plays develop within all the players in the attacking sequence and making the right and timely play to get the best results, either for himself or a teammate.  That's the next phase of his development.  From what I've seen of his play to date, I don't see that yet (and you don't expect to see that on any kind of consistent basis from a 17 year old).  But if he is coachable (and gets the right message from the right messenger, which may be a big ask at this present time), he's going to be heck of a player for us.

I would like read Arfield's actual comments (is there a link?).   

Davies also picks out a pretty good pass, when he gets his head up. I think at this point his biggest weakness also happens to be his biggest strength. The confident and desire to take people on is amazing for his age. On the flip side at certain points of the game and spots on the field he should learn to not try and do so much and slow down. He runs in to trouble often and hold on to the ball too long at times. 

I think Tabla is more complete at the moment but Davies has a higher ceiling

21 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Davies also picks out a pretty good pass, when he gets his head up. I think at this point his biggest weakness also happens to be his biggest strength. The confident and desire to take people on is amazing for his age. On the flip side at certain points of the game and spots on the field he should learn to not try and do so much and slow down. He runs in to trouble often and hold on to the ball too long at times. 

For our national team especially, I would far rather have a guy like Davies err on the side of directly attacking a bit too much and being too eager to take people on.  I suspect it is far easier to temper that instinct a bit than to try to cultivate it in someone more timid.  We have had lots of guys who tend to make sideways and backwards passes instead of running at the back line.  Someone with a strong hunger of offence will be a very useful addition for us.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

For our national team especially, I would far rather have a guy like Davies err on the side of directly attacking a bit too much and being too eager to take people on.  I suspect it is far easier to temper that instinct a bit than to try to cultivate it in someone more timid.  We have had lots of guys who tend to make sideways and backwards passes instead of running at the back line.  Someone with a strong hunger of offence will be a very useful addition for us.

I totally agree. And big credit to Robbo and the Whitecaps for not trying to coach that out of him. Hopefully he stays with the Whitecaps for 2 more years. I'd hate for him to go to Europe early and get shuffled around. Early indications are Robbo intends to start him on his opposite left side. He's been a terror so far in the reg season

Before everybody has a heart attack, Davies isn't being turned into a traditional fullback. He isn't playing LB like Jordan Harvey, he's given full licence to push up the field and regularly flips positions with the LW (Shea today) to the point that Davies typically has a higher average position than the winger.

The idea is to get the ball at Davies' feet in deeper positions, where he can get a head of speed going forward without having to worry about beating players 1v1 in a phone booth (which he struggles with). Hard to argue with it since it's been working so well.

2 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Before everybody has a heart attack, Davies isn't being turned into a traditional fullback. He isn't playing LB like Jordan Harvey, he's given full licence to push up the field and regularly flips positions with the LW (Shea today) to the point that Davies typically has a higher average position than the winger.

The idea is to get the ball at Davies' feet in deeper positions, where he can get a head of speed going forward without having to worry about beating players 1v1 in a phone booth (which he struggles with). Hard to argue with it since it's been working so well.

So we should take solace in the fact that Robbo is developing his ability to run fast with the ball in open space...

6 minutes ago, kacbru said:

So we should take solace in the fact that Robbo is developing his ability to run fast with the ball in open space...

Right?

I get that Robbo is using Davies in a way that's best for the team and his numbers may even go up if he plays that role, but from a purely development perspective, I would like to see Davies learn how to be better in tighter space, because he'll need to get use to that in the higher leagues if that's where he aspires to be.

Let's see what happens I guess...

Having watched a lot of Davies play the last couple years I think the one thing I would like to see him improve is his movement on attack without the ball. It's the one area of his game where I think he is below average. With his skill & pace, if he was to find open areas a bit more it would really add to his game. 

7 minutes ago, badname22 said:

doubt it's out if necessity, De jong was on the bench 

True, but the Caps field completely different XIs each half, and to do that they need two LBs; De Jong is one, and with Fiddes and Levis injured, there was no other one. So then they chose Davies

IMO: I wouldn't want Davies as a LB in a back 4, but he'd be perfect as a wingback in a 3-5-2 or 3-4-2-1

All part of the masterplan to complete his journey to become Tim Parkers replacement.

2 hours ago, kacbru said:

If I but had the ability to Photoshop alphoso over Forest Gumps football carrying body....  run phonso run...

Archived