Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

Wow nice! I sure hope he doesn't move there once he's 18 though. 

If they were that keen on him they wouldn't have tipped their hand by inviting him to train with them. It's fairly commonplace for high profile young MLS players to go to European clubs to train for a few weeks. Usually it's an agent calling in a favour to raise the profile of their player. The only time I can remember a player signing in the EPL after being invited to train was Miazga, but he had trained with Arsenal and eventually signed with Chelsea.

Still a great sign for his future.

23 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

If they were that keen on him they wouldn't have tipped their hand by inviting him to train with them. It's fairly commonplace for high profile young MLS players to go to European clubs to train for a few weeks. Usually it's an agent calling in a favour to raise the profile of their player. The only time I can remember a player signing in the EPL after being invited to train was Miazga, but he had trained with Arsenal and eventually signed with Chelsea.

Yea but Man U have been in the picture regarding him for well over a year now. I agree this isn't a lock but I'd say it's a bit more than a favour

1 hour ago, harrycoyster said:

In a round about way, Henry. Re: Davies, this is a pretty awesome opportunity for him, but I think until the UK is officially out of the EU, his lack of a EU passport might seriously hinder his chances at signing with an EPL team.

A great opportunity to be exposed to exponentially better coaching, much higher quality players and a chance to get a taste of the big time. Unlikely to result in anything directly, but if he can make the most of it, he may find more of his potential in the long run. 

13 hours ago, matty said:

Fuck Man U!

I posted something to this effect on the V FB page, but I think it bears repeating:

It is silly to bring club loyalties into this.  I despise Arsenal, but it they came sniffing around for one of our youth prospects, I would cheer him on fully.   I would hope he got a hat trick in every 4-3 loss they could muster.  

ManU is a truly massive club.  The money, effort, and human resources they invest in their players is huge.  It would be a huge step for Davies to get access to their developmental structure and a clear path to one of the most known first-teams on the globe.  That is an amazing opportunity - whether you support ManU. The Arse, or the scum.

11 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Pending clearance and approval of WhitecapsFC....

Robinson and Vancouver will probably say no...

I can't see it.  This is a chance to have one of the globe's richest clubs solidify their interest in a player you know will move to a larger league in the very near term.  The Caps will see the $$$ involved in this.  If ManU likes what they see, the Caps have them where they want them.  Sure ManU can subtly pressure Davies to push for a move, but at the end of the day the economic benefits of having a rich club really want one of your players are huge.  Leverage comes from knowing the other side is unlikely to walk away if the price isn't right.  A solid trial is the best way to do that - and it is ManU that is pushing to make it happen.  I think that is ideal from a VWC perspective.

25 minutes ago, toontownman said:

No brainer for club and player. They did the same with adekugbe and someone else in previous years. If manure like what they see then they will have to pay to get him. 

Wow, you have some really crappy auto correct. Regardless, manure is exactly what United are!

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I posted something to this effect on the V FB page, but I think it bears repeating:

It is silly to bring club loyalties into this.  I despise Arsenal, but it they came sniffing around for one of our youth prospects, I would cheer him on fully.   I would hope he got a hat trick in every 4-3 loss they could muster.  

ManU is a truly massive club.  The money, effort, and human resources they invest in their players is huge.  It would be a huge step for Davies to get access to their developmental structure and a clear path to one of the most known first-teams on the globe.  That is an amazing opportunity - whether you support ManU. The Arse, or the scum.

Oh without doubt but still fuck man u ?

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

I hope he goes to Man u or Europe ASAP. I don't think Vancouver has the tools to polish his raw potential 

Yeah, I know there are transfer issues because of his age, but I want him to move ASAP as well.  MLS is a decent middling league, but it doesn't have much of a record of cultivating good young players into world class players.   Better to get Davies into a good European structure at the first opportunity.  

9 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, I know there are transfer issues because of his age, but I want him to move ASAP as well.  MLS is a decent middling league, but it doesn't have much of a record of cultivating good young players into world class players.   Better to get Davies into a good European structure at the first opportunity.  

I feel MLS is at the point where it needs to start transfering guys like Davies and Larin to Europe and Mexico more regularly. Since like 2013 it feels like there's been this push to bring all the Euro based US stars back and keep emerging talents in MLS. It seems backwards given MLS's salary limitations. While MLS is a good league there are much better leagues out there. Let them become real stars. There's nothing wrong with being a selling league. Become a stepping stone MLS, the rest of the soccer world will take you even more seriously lol. Not to mention it'll make your two nations look a lot better.

8 hours ago, matty said:

I feel MLS is at the point where it needs to start transfering guys like Davies and Larin to Europe and Mexico more regularly. Since like 2013 it feels like there's been this push to bring all the Euro based US stars back and keep emerging talents in MLS. It seems backwards given MLS's salary limitations. While MLS is a good league there are much better leagues out there. Let them become real stars. There's nothing wrong with being a selling league. Become a stepping stone MLS, the rest of the soccer world will take you even more seriously lol. Not to mention it'll make your two nations look a lot better.

I agree with your Europe point but I don’t think the Mls wants to be seen as a feeder league to Liga Mx considering that is their main rival in the Champions League

7 hours ago, canta15 said:

I agree with your Europe point but I don’t think the Mls wants to be seen as a feeder league to Liga Mx considering that is their main rival in the Champions League

There's a difference between selling players and being a feeder league and until MLS is spending Liga MX money it should accept players moving there

Archived