Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Keegan said:

He’s just saying it doesn’t happen right away.. drogba didn’t start at Chelsea and wasn’t on Ivory Coast. Bale moved from small clubs with Southampton and Tottenham to Real Madrid. 

I’d like Davies to move somewhere where the level is high but he’s valued and won’t disappear. Liverpool I wouldn’t mind but definitely not a man city or the like.

I was referring more to the implied end point (which was apparently not an EPL top 6 club) rather than the next club.

Sometimes talented young players go straight to a top 6 EPL club and are successful (e.g. Rooney at 17/18 yrs).

Incidentally, don't tell any Tottenham fans that they are a small club!! And don't forget which club is successfully holding on to England's best player! (hint: currently in the top 6!).

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

Wouldn't he surprised if Manure have first option on him. It was whitecaps decision to pull him from the trials in January as we didn't think he was ready wasn't it?

A bit of a conspiracy theory, there could be something to it! I just hope he ends up at a club where his development will progress, with all due respect to the Caps, imagine him surrounded by quality!

24 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

I was referring more to the implied end point (which was apparently not an EPL top 6 club) rather than the next club.

Sometimes talented young players go straight to a top 6 EPL club and are successful (e.g. Rooney at 17/18 yrs).

Incidentally, don't tell any Tottenham fans that they are a small club!! And don't forget which club is successfully holding on to England's best player! (hint: currently in the top 6!).

Spurs fan here, so yeah.

Also, Spurs would be a cool option for Davies.  Poch has a history of trusting talented kids, and Davies would learn from a really modern manager.  A fellow can dream...

2 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

i hope he doesn't go from the caps to england. england isn't great for developing young players.

Southampton have been decent at it. I feel like it's mostly big teams that are bad at developing young players because they have the checkbook to buy almost any player in the world and gives them no reason to develop youth players.

7 hours ago, Yoginess said:

Just to note. Alphonso had a couple great hustle plays and some effortless moves past defenders (sometimes with two players on him).

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/iframe-video?brightcove_id=5762482250001&brightcove_player_id=default&brightcove_account_id=5537314762001

His footwork in tight spaces has really improved. And we all know what he can do defensively.

7 hours ago, Yoginess said:

Just to note. Alphonso had a couple great hustle plays and some effortless moves past defenders (sometimes with two players on him).

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/iframe-video?brightcove_id=5762482250001&brightcove_player_id=default&brightcove_account_id=5537314762001

But, but, but I thought the only way he could take players on was with his speed!!!! His dribbling looks real nice in that video.

31 minutes ago, Obinna said:

It was always good. People have just been underrating it IMO

I think Davies is even more confident, and this is why we are seeing the quality of his close dribbling skills. But he also seems to have improved in this area.  Next on the To Do list: shooting accurately with both feet.

2 hours ago, The Beaver said:

I think Davies is even more confident, and this is why we are seeing the quality of his close dribbling skills. But he also seems to have improved in this area.  Next on the To Do list: shooting accurately with both feet.

The volley goal he scored with his right foot in janurary U-20 camp comes to mind...

13 hours ago, Yoginess said:

That play where he runs down the ball by the endline, keeps it in play, and nutmegs a player is just pure class

8 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

It's nice to have a guy with his such immense potential commit right away to our program.  No b.s. about "concentrating on my club career right now" stuff.  He's ours.  Thanks, Phonsie!

Hopefully our soccer community comes through with some nice sponsorship deals and getting him involved as a young celebrity. This can only encourage future stars to commit early to Canada.

1 hour ago, Ruffian said:

Hopefully our soccer community comes through with some nice sponsorship deals and getting him involved as a young celebrity. This can only encourage future stars to commit early to Canada.

Stamkos was trying to recruit him for Nike a while ago 

Archived