Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The laundry list of young Canadians who have come thru the TFC and Impact organizations is very impressive. It' a reads as an NASL who's who. I think TFC even let a Canadian bang their drum once. That was really showing commitment to the Canadian cause

Anyways.. I read the Caps would rather have him attend the Canadian Olympic team camp. Not sure if that info was shared here. Maybe that makes people feel a bit better

21 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

The laundry list of young Canadians who have come thru the TFC and Impact organizations is very impressive. It' a reads as an NASL who's who. I think TFC even let a Canadian bang their drum once. That was really showing commitment to the Canadian cause

Anyways.. I read the Caps would rather have him attend the Canadian Olympic team camp. Not sure if that info was shared here. Maybe that makes people feel a bit better

I hope that's true and not some BS they came up just to keep him away from ManU. They better release him to play in Olympic qualifying tournament. 

36 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Isn't the qualifying tournament in oct 2019... Doesn't make me feel better. Whitecaps hate Canada

18 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Forgetting for a minute why that's relevant to this argument, show me that long list of Caps alum plying their trade in top European leagues...

The U23 camp is going to last 10 days, maybe 14 max. No, either they want him at training camp when it starts, or more cynically they hope by keeping him away from Europe that they might convince him to stay for the 2019 season.

On 12/15/2017 at 6:57 PM, jpg75 said:

Cue Caps fans defending the club and how Davies need "protecting" and has had a long year (ignoring they haven't played a game in a month)...meanwhile the reality is the Caps don't want Davies missing the start of training camp.

Sure...I'll do that.

This wasn't a situation where United came to the Whitecaps and said we want to look at the kid. This was the agent that went to European clubs and offered them Davies without the Whitecaps approval. The Whitecaps have sent young players to Europe in the off season for training stints in the past (including Bustos and Adekugbe) and I am sure they will do it again when they feel the time is right, not when an agent is thinking about dollar signs. I do agree that this is a pivotal season for Davies to improve his club performances and a strong training camp for him should give him that chance.

Resting Davies seems prudent. (In this case, "rest" includes mental as much as anything else. Kid has barely seen his family this year!) There is NO reason to rush things with Davies, and plenty of reasons to be smart about his mental, psychological and emotional well-being. Glad that the Caps are not getting dazzled by the hype. 

On December 18, 2017 at 10:51 PM, The Beaver said:

Resting Davies seems prudent. (In this case, "rest" includes mental as much as anything else. Kid has barely seen his family this year!) There is NO reason to rush things with Davies, and plenty of reasons to be smart about his mental, psychological and emotional well-being. Glad that the Caps are not getting dazzled by the hype. 

I see it a bit differently.  The invite was for January and the Caps have been done for a while already. Davies had had some solid time to chill and see family.  And it's not like they are giving him a vacation until MLS pre-season.  He is still supposed to go to the Olympics camp in the new year. 

This would have been an opportunity to go visit one of the biggest clubs in the world and see what the game is like at the highest levels.  Maybe he didn't want to go, but if he did I am not a fan of the Caps vetoing the trip.  I suspect walking out onto the pitch at Old Trafford and getting the club tour would have recharged his batteries in a way that a few extra weeks off never could.

On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎20 at 4:32 PM, dyslexic nam said:

I see it a bit differently.  The invite was for January and the Caps have been done for a while already. Davies had had some solid time to chill and see family.  And it's not like they are giving him a vacation until MLS pre-season.  He is still supposed to go to the Olympics camp in the new year. 

This would have been an opportunity to go visit one of the biggest clubs in the world and see what the game is like at the highest levels.  Maybe he didn't want to go, but if he did I am not a fan of the Caps vetoing the trip.  I suspect walking out onto the pitch at Old Trafford and getting the club tour would have recharged his batteries in a way that a few extra weeks off never could.

I'm confident the decision was not made lightly. I am confident, too, that Davies was fully involved in making the decision, likely in conjunction with his family. Listen, if the kid is going to be as good as we think he is, then there'll be plenty of chances for big European moments ahead of him. I think this was a wise decision. 

On 18/12/2017 at 2:47 PM, masster said:

Sure...I'll do that.

This wasn't a situation where United came to the Whitecaps and said we want to look at the kid. This was the agent that went to European clubs and offered them Davies without the Whitecaps approval. The Whitecaps have sent young players to Europe in the off season for training stints in the past (including Bustos and Adekugbe) and I am sure they will do it again when they feel the time is right, not when an agent is thinking about dollar signs. I do agree that this is a pivotal season for Davies to improve his club performances and a strong training camp for him should give him that chance.

Not sure what you mean by his "agent thinking of dollar signs"? Obviously Davies cannot transfer for another year so there is no money to be made from this training stint. Unless you consider this a window shopping excercise for next year? In which case if there is money to be made don't the Whitecaps stand to gain substantially from a transfer payment (especially since he's HG)?

On 12/23/2017 at 4:46 AM, jpg75 said:

Not sure what you mean by his "agent thinking of dollar signs"? Obviously Davies cannot transfer for another year so there is no money to be made from this training stint. Unless you consider this a window shopping excercise for next year? In which case if there is money to be made don't the Whitecaps stand to gain substantially from a transfer payment (especially since he's HG)?

Of course they do...but they will make a lot more money if he has a great MLS season, not impressing only 1 club for 10 days. Getting him ready for 2018 should be the focus. If they think him resting over the holidays, attending a Canada camp and then being ready for preseason is the way to do it, that seems logical to me.

1 hour ago, masster said:

Of course they do...but they will make a lot more money if he has a great MLS season, not impressing only 1 club for 10 days. Getting him ready for 2018 should be the focus. If they think him resting over the holidays, attending a Canada camp and then being ready for preseason is the way to do it, that seems logical to me.

He's going to rest over the holidays regardlesss, on top of the previous 6 weeks of rest he has had. So it's whether he spends 10 days with the Olympic team or at ManU. What does it matter to the Caps which one it is?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived