Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

If you think he had a better game than the player that scored a hat-trick, helped force an own goal, went 39/43 passing in Vancouver's half there is no hope for you. 

That's what happens when a team who's strength is possessing the ball plays 1 man up at home for 85 minutes and the other team keeps it close so they open up in the last 10 minutes.

But hey, at least my comment got 1 more person to check out some stats on MLS.com

51 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

If you think he had a better game than the player that scored a hat-trick, helped force an own goal, went 39/43 passing in Vancouver's half there is no hope for you. 

Atlanta has some outstanding young players - they are fast and move the ball incredibly quickly.  Davies stepped up in tough circumstances and was the best Caps player on the day.  But that Atlanta forward with the hat trick...won't be in MLS long.

Yeah this guy is the real deal. I don't think scoring goals right now even matters that much because his combination of physicality, speed and footwork that put him in a class above everybody else on the field(at least in MLS).  He can pretty much take the ball and move it wherever he wants and could probably play any position outside of CB. He's just needs to learn how to play the game now...which isn't really going to happen in MLS...

6 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Yeah this guy is the real deal. I don't think scoring goals right now even matters that much because his combination of physicality, speed and footwork that put him in a class above everybody else on the field(at least in MLS).  He can pretty much take the ball and move it wherever he wants and could probably play any position outside of CB. He's just needs to learn how to play the game now...which isn't really going to happen in MLS...

And he is 17?

10 hours ago, saladroit said:

...where he was a catastrophe on a non-playoff team? 

EDIT: To expand on this, it's obviously better that Davies plays as a true winger rather than a fullback/wingback. But I think this is just a temporary thing, especially because Davies is our only legit, MLS quality option at LW and will probably slot back there once De Jong and the other LBs get healthy.

His role in Orlando being non-playoff is nuanced. He seemed the only bright spot on a backline that was over-payed and under-performed.

I'd love to see Davies play inside. That's a skill-set I'd like him to add to his already great winger play. His in tight spaces pacing I think it's much better than what he gets credit for, but I think Davies still hasn't added the off the ball movement yet. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Enjoy him while you can.  With that I wonder where his next club should be (not the same as "will be"). 

Should be: Bundesliga, Eredivisie, or Portugese Primeira Liga

Will be: one of the big 6 EPL teams, and will be sent out on various loans for three seasons before being sold to a team in one of the leagues he should've gone to initially

14 minutes ago, saladroit said:

Will be: one of the big 6 EPL teams, and will be sent out on various loans for three seasons before being sold to a team in one of the leagues he should've gone to initially

I mean if Vancouver manages to sell him to a big club and he ends up getting loaned out to a league he should of gone straight to it could be a win-win. 

48 minutes ago, saladroit said:

I know you are just doing the standard pessimistic football supporter thing but players from lower ranked countries do sometimes actually make it big and often drag their country with them. Such as Didier Drogba and Ivory Coast, or, closer to home, Dwight Yorke and T&T. And more recently Gareth Bale and Wales, which is a particularly striking example because of the similarities between Davies and Bale.

So why not Alphonso Davies and Canada?

15 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

I know you are just doing the standard pessimistic football supporter thing but players from lower ranked countries do sometimes actually make it big and often drag their country with them. Such as Didier Drogba and Ivory Coast, or, closer to home, Dwight Yorke and T&T. And more recently Gareth Bale and Wales, which is a particularly striking example because of the similarities between Davies and Bale.

I don't think it has to do with his nationality. It's more of my pessimism about what these big clubs (the ones that have scouted Davies) do with their prospects. Tons of these guys are just perpetually loaned out. Rather see him go to a team where, as soon as he signs, he's in the first team picture and not out constantly out on loans. 

1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

He's the real deal.  But I also believe that where he goes next is going to be a crucial step (and I think that's what others I harboring concerns for).  I know it's not the best comparison but watching how Josh Simpson honed his overall game in Germany and turned from athlete first/footballer second into a more complete player makes a significant NT contributor me think Germany would be a good fit.  Just spitballing, but I could see him at Dortmund as they bring in another North American prodigy to go along with Pulisic.

1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

He’s just saying it doesn’t happen right away.. drogba didn’t start at Chelsea and wasn’t on Ivory Coast. Bale moved from small clubs with Southampton and Tottenham to Real Madrid. 

I’d like Davies to move somewhere where the level is high but he’s valued and won’t disappear. Liverpool I wouldn’t mind but definitely not a man city or the like.

3 hours ago, saladroit said:

Apparently a confusing post, though seems perfectly coherent for those of us who aren't trolls.

My 2 cents he should go to Ajax or a big German club to develop properly. He'll end up being sold for £25M or something to a huge EPL club, play U23 for the first half season and then go on a series of loans...we'll see what happens to him.

Archived