Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a cross by Davies on the first goal. First assist on the season..... and he also got his first MLS goal on the second. Shot it right at the keeper and it was honestly lucky to trickle in but who the hell cares

55 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Subbed off but fantastic performance, should of played the 90

I was wondering if Robbo got a bit twitchy when the Impact grabbed one back after the subs.  I get the standard "shut it down" idea, but when those players did a good job of keeping Montreal playing defence, it could have backfired - and almost did.

As for Davies, great game.  I am looking forward to his continued growth in terms of what he can do to attack his mark, but really good season opener for him.  Hopefully he makes it impossible for Robbo to even think about trying to "protect" him by limiting his minutes this year.

10 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I know Robbo wants to “control his minutes”. I would much rather Robbo start him, and sub him out later in the game then use Davies only as a sub like he did last year.

I am happy with Robinson's approach so far. It would be much easier and probably more beneficial for the whitecaps to play him more now while he is fresh and hot.

That would at best risk screwing the back end of Davies career in his mid twenties to long term injuries when he isn't the whitecaps problem anymore. 

We will see more of him this season which on yesterday's form will likely be his last in Vancouver. 

I like the defensive work bollocking. Clearly harsh, clearly keeping him grounded.  

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

I am happy with Robinson's approach so far. It would be much easier and probably more beneficial for the whitecaps to play him more now while he is fresh and hot.

That would at best risk screwing the back end of Davies career in his mid twenties to long term injuries when he isn't the whitecaps problem anymore. 

We will see more of him this season which on yesterday's form will likely be his last in Vancouver. 

I like the defensive work bollocking. Clearly harsh, clearly keeping him grounded.  

Pretty much this but he took off his best player, I geuss the Welsh have a reputation for not giving out too much praise.

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

Pretty much this but he took off his best player, I geuss the Welsh have a reputation for not giving out too much praise.

No, he's just trying to keep pressure and distraction away from the kid. If Davies is going to realize his full potential and have an amazing footballing career he will need to put in a lot of work, learn how to be a professional in every way, and stay grounded. He has not arrived!! The moment any of us think we have arrived--that we are the finished product--we stop growing and learning and improving. We are all vulnerable to this, but a 17 year old potential phenom is even more vulnerable. Robbo and his staff are handling this right. We all just need to be smart and patient.

Having said all of that, it seems that Davies does have the right mentality for success. Audacious AND humble at the same time. Loves the game. Is thankful for what he has. Works damned hard. Learns quickly. He ain't no Wynne Belotte.

13 hours ago, The Beaver said:

No, he's just trying to keep pressure and distraction away from the kid. If Davies is going to realize his full potential and have an amazing footballing career he will need to put in a lot of work, learn how to be a professional in every way, and stay grounded. He has not arrived!! The moment any of us think we have arrived--that we are the finished product--we stop growing and learning and improving. We are all vulnerable to this, but a 17 year old potential phenom is even more vulnerable. Robbo and his staff are handling this right. We all just need to be smart and patient.

Having said all of that, it seems that Davies does have the right mentality for success. Audacious AND humble at the same time. Loves the game. Is thankful for what he has. Works damned hard. Learns quickly. He ain't no Wynne Belotte.

We all hope so he is not.another Boakai or Adu...My gut feeling tells me otherwise and he will be a dominant force this year landing him in a big name Euro club come next year (likely from the Premier League) a la Ballou.. He may have off games here and there...Now time to light it up on Sat... Will he start? 

1 hour ago, CNMNTPERUELIGIBLE said:

We all hope so he is not.another Boakai or Adu...My gut feeling tells me otherwise and he will be a dominant force this year landing him in a big name Euro club come next year (likely from the Premier League) a la Ballou.. He may have off games here and there...Now time to light it up on Sat... Will he start? 

I suspect he will start, but it all depends on Robbo’s tactics vs Houston. Davies is good defensively, so it is hard to see him not starting.

4 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Great article on Davies posted on the MLS website   

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/03/06/poised-breakout-season-alphonso-davies-using-pressure-motivation

He is very mature for a 17 year old and appears to be really well grounded. So different from most teens or adults for that matter.

Hopefully, hence reason I have the gut feeling it will play out differently this time compared to guys like Adu and Boakai... Let's  hold our breath, but very confident it will be a different story this time around

• 2 weeks later...

Article on Davies

An MLS article on Davies and way Robinson is approaching in helping Davies grow as a player for the VW.

How do some of you feel about this process? I'm alright with it and I do think that if Davies is doing well keep on playing him. Let him have those bad games to learn how to overcome these type of games this way he can be multifaceted in how he approaches each games week to week basis. 

1 hour ago, Scorpion26 said:

Article on Davies

An MLS article on Davies and way Robinson is approaching in helping Davies grow as a player for the VW.

How do some of you feel about this process? I'm alright with it and I do think that if Davies is doing well keep on playing him. Let him have those bad games to learn how to overcome these type of games this way he can be multifaceted in how he approaches each games week to week basis. 

I'm in the camp that worries about Davies' ability to grow with the Whitecaps - who have a very poor record of developing players, let alone developing superstars. Yet, Davies this year has looked amazing. He's fast, he's dangerous, he's everything we've been hoping for. And there's more to come. Does this have more to do with Davies innate abilities and core inner strength? Probably yes, but Robbo so far isn't hindering this development.

Archived