Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

Alphonso Davies made $65,000 last year, which was tied with Ben McKendry for the lowest salary on the club's payroll. His contract is set to expire on December 31, 2018 but it looks like Vancouver holds club options for 2 additional years just like Orlando did with Larin. Hopefully he can make a move after the 2018 season, but it may not be easy if Vancouver is not willing to sell yet.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, PhillyCanuck said:

Alphonso Davies made $65,000 last year, which was tied with Ben McKendry for the lowest salary on the club's payroll. His contract is set to expire on December 31, 2018 but it looks like Vancouver holds club options for 2 additional years just like Orlando did with Larin. Hopefully he can make a move after the 2018 season, but it may not be easy if Vancouver is not willing to sell yet.

With any luck he and his advisers start plotting out a transfer now so they can work things out and he can leave on good terms, the Caps get some transfer $ and Davies winds up in the Premier League. Win,win,win

46 minutes ago, PhillyCanuck said:

I'd guess the Caps would want top dollar for him and would want to avoid losing a high percentage of his value the way OC did on Larin. I wouldn't be shocked if they hold onto him after the 2019 winter window and loan him out to develop him more before selling him in summer 2019 for a higher price.

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Davies can't move internationally before he is 18, don't think, unless he already has a passport or --in that case--- EU papers. So the Caps are relaxed and he should be too, develop as much as you can now and make the move at 18 when you are free to go where you want.

He turns 18 November of this year. So he could move in the January transfer window a year from now.

40 minutes ago, Kent said:

He turns 18 November of this year. So he could move in the January transfer window a year from now.

And he should! Careers are short, you have to move when youre hot. This should be his last year in MLS.  Hopefully the caps have the sense to work out a transfer ahead of time and let him go in peace and not try to screw him over with the 5% raise on option years.  But Davies has to do his part.  He scores a handful of goals, and the world is his.  

3 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

And he should! Careers are short, you have to move when youre hot. This should be his last year in MLS.  Hopefully the caps have the sense to work out a transfer ahead of time and let him go in peace and not try to screw him over with the 5% raise on option years.  But Davies has to do his part.  He scores a handful of goals, and the world is his.  

He is still young the MLS is slowing changing and buying young talent look at Atlanta , these Atlanta players are young from South America and last year these young guys proved that they can play and already have clubs from Europe looking to buy them, Davies needs to play and show even more than what he has shown in the time he has played in the MLS, prove yourself here and in no time there will be a lineup of teams looking to buy him.

1 hour ago, 1996 said:

He is still young the MLS is slowing changing and buying young talent look at Atlanta , these Atlanta players are young from South America and last year these young guys proved that they can play and already have clubs from Europe looking to buy them, Davies needs to play and show even more than what he has shown in the time he has played in the MLS, prove yourself here and in no time there will be a lineup of teams looking to buy him.

The question is whether he would develop more in a top Euro academy / U20 team and getting lots of minutes in that time frame vs. staying in MLS for another year or two....similar path  to Tabla. I am not convinced that MLS develops young players to their full potential.

One thing is certain, he has done way more in MLS and for Canada than Tabla, and he's significantly younger, remembering when you are this age the differences are even more significant. 

I was in conversation with a person I know at Barça, in the FO, today, and  he said he could not give details on how Tabla was signed. And I replied I am glad he was signed but it was odd since it is not clear he is the even the best Canadian prospect.

20 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I was in conversation with a person I know at Barça, in the FO, today, and  he said he could not give details on how Tabla was signed. And I replied I am glad he was signed but it was odd since it is not clear he is the even the best Canadian prospect.

True, but i would argue Tabla has better technique and likely a better fit for Barca. I'd like to see Davies go to a big German club, but we'll probably see him in England.

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

True, but i would argue Tabla has better technique and likely a better fit for Barca. I'd like to see Davies go to a big German club, but we'll probably see him in England.

I agree about his technique, but it is hard to say. At Whitecaps you are not required to do much with whatever skills you have, and it does not matter if you botch basic stuff up, Robbo will still love you. Tabla at least was in a place that asked more of him technically.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I agree about his technique, but it is hard to say. At Whitecaps you are not required to do much with whatever skills you have, and it does not matter if you botch basic stuff up, Robbo will still love you. Tabla at least was in a place that asked more of him technically.

Davies needs to get the F out of Vancouver so he can get a real coach to teach him the game the right way.

I think Tabla's ceiling is higher than Davies unfortunately.  It's not fair to say Davies has done more when Tabla has actually scored goals in the league.. I think Tabla could develop a ton at Barca, he has elite skill.. one of the best technical players for his age in Canada/US without a doubt.  Davies is just a natural freak of an athlete, he is confident, decently skilled and incredibly fast but I think he needs to get out of Vancouver sooner than later if he's to reach his potential.  

20 hours ago, Keegan said:

I think Tabla's ceiling is higher than Davies unfortunately.  It's not fair to say Davies has done more when Tabla has actually scored goals in the league.. I think Tabla could develop a ton at Barca, he has elite skill.. one of the best technical players for his age in Canada/US without a doubt.  Davies is just a natural freak of an athlete, he is confident, decently skilled and incredibly fast but I think he needs to get out of Vancouver sooner than later if he's to reach his potential.  

They should trade him to Atlanta let Tata coach him and I’m sure you will see him develop more then, have him play along side the other young South Americans that Atlanta have and see how he does.

• 3 weeks later...

Davies MUST leave Vancouver on or exceptionally near his 18th bday. Any Euro club. Any! Ok freak out over. He'd be best served going to Germany. As much as I'd love to see a Canadian thrive at Man Utd, he won't. Although he is certainly a Mourinho-type - I think, I know, he'd be found out. Let him go to Germany. They will have more patience, and he'll get into a team.

36 minutes ago, ThiKu said:

Davies MUST leave Vancouver on or exceptionally near his 18th bday. Any Euro club. Any! Ok freak out over. He'd be best served going to Germany. As much as I'd love to see a Canadian thrive at Man Utd, he won't. Although he is certainly a Mourinho-type - I think, I know, he'd be found out. Let him go to Germany. They will have more patience, and he'll get into a team.

I kind of want him to go to France but wouldn't mind Germany. Both are leagues that are solid at producing reliable-to-star talent from not just top teams but all teams. My only real concern with Germany is that he gets placed with a youth squad or B-team playing in the third tier which wouldn't really help him and I feel that's less likely in France.

I'm curious if he makes a full transfer at 18. While I'm sure Vancouver want to avoid what happened with Orlando and Larin, I have a feeling they'll aim to loan him out rather than sell in order to get a higher price come the summer.

With respect to a transfer, the only factor MLS will consider is money, they will sell to the highest bidder.  MLS will not care about his development going forward or his chances at getting time.  As with Larin, they will try to hold out for a big money transfer to the EPL.

9 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

With respect to a transfer, the only factor MLS will consider is money, they will sell to the highest bidder.  MLS will not care about his development going forward or his chances at getting time.  As with Larin, they will try to hold out for a big money transfer to the EPL.

Pretty much agree. As I said the only thing I could see them doing regarding development is a loan and that's for his price.

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 9:15 PM, Keegan said:

He's a big time athlete, first and foremost, and his foot skills at speed are pretty good.  The raw materials are there.  The football IQ?  That's a work in progress.  I'm hoping that we'll come with time and proper coaching, but also competition from similar players vying for his spot, where it's the other things that make a difference (where and when to run and pass, how to incorporate your attacking partners to create space, etc.) when you are trying to rise above the rest.

The thing I really like about Davies is that right now (and I emphasize that, because things can change surprisingly quickly in a very young pro player's development) he has the looks of making a match winning play out of nothing, which is something we've been dying for forever in our NT pool.  Based on his tremendous athletics gifts, a guy who might be a really good role model for him would be Josh Simpson, a player whose game was also predicated on strong athletic traits but also many technical and tactical shortcomings. However, he learned from his tutoring in Germany to take his game to another level, though granted as a late bloomer where as Davies is a man-child.  The Caps (or Herdman) would be smart to bring him in for a year or two on the coaching staff to act as a minder/mentor for him.

However, the biggest hurdle which I think Simpson can't help him with is the weight of expectations.  Simpson went to continental Europe without any hype and was able to develop under the radar.  Davies is under a microscope and, as such, his (inevitable) down moments are going highlighted in an overly negative light.  There's going to be a lot of distraction, not the least of which being his entourage of advisors.  How he and his handlers deal with this is also a big key to his development.

Archived