Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

Yeah, I probably won’t be able to come up with many examples but it seems like we keep getting players that have some potential and the thinking of their manager is “this guy is good, just imagine how good he would be if he played further back!”

Now for me to figure out who this applies to. Teibert and Raheem Edwards are the only guys I can think of off the top of my head.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Obinna said:

As high up the pitch as possible.

I do like Fonzie playing higher up the field, but having the ability to play multiple positions is an asset. For CMNT, we have Hoilett at LM as well. Also, if he ends up at a deep European team, he'll have to be ready to play in a position that isn't his own. While playing a more advanced role is ideal, I wouldn't say that we are stunting his development by playing him elsewhere.

13 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

I do like Fonzie playing higher up the field, but having the ability to play multiple positions is an asset. For CMNT, we have Hoilett at LM as well. Also, if he ends up at a deep European team, he'll have to be ready to play in a position that isn't his own. While playing a more advanced role is ideal, I wouldn't say that we are stunting his development by playing him elsewhere.

Yep, just look at Zinchenko at Manchester City. Naturally a number ten, but with KDB ahead of him, he plays left back.

2 hours ago, saladroit said:

Yep, just look at Zinchenko at Manchester City. Naturally a number ten, but with KDB ahead of him, he plays left back.

Okay, if Davies had to play left back to see the field at Man City, I would take that. But we are talking about Vancouver Whitecaps here....

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

Right?

I get that Robbo is using Davies in a way that's best for the team and his numbers may even go up if he plays that role, but from a purely development perspective, I would like to see Davies learn how to be better in tighter space, because he'll need to get use to that in the higher leagues if that's where he aspires to be.

Let's see what happens I guess...

This. If MLS teams actually had any incentive to generate transfer revenues, they would do what was best for Davies' development. But they don't, so they do what's best for the team (in the short term).

Robbo is a very one dimensional manager. Doesn't have too many ideas when it comes to generating offence, and doesn't seem to have too many ideas about how to develop an offensive player either.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

Yeah, I probably won’t be able to come up with many examples but it seems like we keep getting players that have some potential and the thinking of their manager is “this guy is good, just imagine how good he would be if he played further back!”

Now for me to figure out who this applies to. Teibert and Raheem Edwards are the only guys I can think of off the top of my head.

Add Aird to that list.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Okay, if Davies had to play left back to see the field at Man City, I would take that. But we are talking about Vancouver Whitecaps here....

The post says that if Davies is going to a European club, he might have to play in a different position than he's used to. There's no Caps is basically Man City thing anywhere in my post lmao 

2 hours ago, A_Gagne said:

This. If MLS teams actually had any incentive to generate transfer revenues, they would do what was best for Davies' development. But they don't, so they do what's best for the team (in the short term).

Robbo is a very one dimensional manager. Doesn't have too many ideas when it comes to generating offence, and doesn't seem to have too many ideas about how to develop an offensive player either.

Add Aird to that list.

Petrasso

5 minutes ago, Craig Pinhey said:

Wherever he played in the Gold Cup...

He played on the wing(LW) and I think it's where he should be on the outside left or right attacking outsidebacks to create a chance for others to score or himself. He will need games and time to develop his game further. I do think after this MLS season Davies is leaving for Europe and he's someone I feel should go to German or Dutch club....

^^^

I would add Portugal to that list.  There, all the top clubs have "B" teams that play in the second division.  Where they play mostly u21 players, against smaller clubs who suit up full experienced veteran squads who are battling for promotion.

This setup has done wonders for helping develop Portugal's younger players in the last few years.

On 2/21/2018 at 5:17 PM, Obinna said:

As high up the pitch as possible.

Last nights goal showed a goalscorers instinct. We're seeing more end product from him this preseason, with a couple of goals and a couple of assists. If that continues I think he'll stay further up the pitch, though he's been great tracking back as well. He's had a great preseason and looks to be penciled in to the starting 11 to start the season.

30 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

Last nights goal showed a goalscorers instinct. We're seeing more end product from him this preseason, with a couple of goals and a couple of assists. If that continues I think he'll stay further up the pitch, though he's been great tracking back as well. He's had a great preseason and looks to be penciled in to the starting 11 to start the season.

Yeah, he and Techera own the wings for now.

1 hour ago, Acid-Tone said:

^^^

I would add Portugal to that list.  There, all the top clubs have "B" teams that play in the second division.  Where they play mostly u21 players, against smaller clubs who suit up full experienced veteran squads who are battling for promotion.

Would this be an argument for allowing TFC Whitecaps and Impact B teams in the CPL in 2019?  I know a lotof people don't want them there.

The CDN B teams didnt go over well in the USL.  A loose affiliation/partnership with loans etc might go over better in the CPL.  

Did anyone else notice that when the Caps made the 3-4 man substitution (Davies coming off) the air just went out of the attack?? It looked like Shea replaced Davies on the left.  Davies did a much better job, much more dangerous going forward.    

1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

Would be an excellent way for CPL to establish that it is a minor league. Which would cut the attenendance by what? 50%? 75%? It would be a disastrous mistake.

It's not going to be any secret that the CPL is a minor league, at least at the start.  We're talking popup stadiums holding 7 or 8 thousand people in some cases. Once the league starts releasing budgets and announcing player signings, it will be readily apparent we are not stealing anybody from any major leagues.  I'm willing to put money down for season tickets in Hamilton, cross my fingers,  and watch the league grow.  Hopefully other people are too.  I'd have no problem going out to watch my team play TFC prospects.  I'm not expecting the second incarnation of the EPL.  I'm hopeful for a slight raise of the bar above USL, but that might take a few years.

1 hour ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

It's not going to be any secret that the CPL is a minor league, at least at the start.  We're talking popup stadiums holding 7 or 8 thousand people in some cases. Once the league starts releasing budgets and announcing player signings, it will be readily apparent we are not stealing anybody from any major leagues.  I'm willing to put money down for season tickets in Hamilton, cross my fingers,  and watch the league grow.  Hopefully other people are too.  I'd have no problem going out to watch my team play TFC prospects.  I'm not expecting the second incarnation of the EPL.  I'm hopeful for a slight raise of the bar above USL, but that might take a few years.

Absolutely regarding the level of the CPL. Its possible the odd older journeyman from too European leagues might pop up but you are looking fringe mls players, young or retiring Canadians with a sprinkle of random foreign players or the first 5 years at least. I dont however want MLS second teams involved. I think relationships will be built and players from MLS club's loaned but having b teams always cheapens and help monopolize imo. Sorry for de-railing for CPL talk.

With Davies it is always a hard one for coaches to judge. Do you maximize and play him now when he is hot or wrap him in cotton wool (which I think the Whitecaps have done a good job with) and hope that will put extra years on the back end of his career. 

So many teen prodigies fall short of the hype, succumb to the psychological pressure or have long term injuries that curtail their careers far earlier due to being played too young. Hopefully the protection he has got will serve him well later on. However, I hope he moves to Europe at the end of the year just to experience better coaching for his development. 

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

Apparently he played F most of his youth career. He was moved to CB, DM and AM at UAB and then finally ended up at CB as a pro.

I don't know about his pre-U17 days, but for sure he was not playing forward with his U-17 Ontario provincial team. Maybe he was playing forward with his club back then though, not sure.  

14 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I don't know about his pre-U17 days, but for sure he was not playing forward with his U-17 Ontario provincial team. Maybe he was playing forward with his club back then though, not sure.  

I was told he played F with Woodbridge.

Touche.

I just don't find the terms major or minor league important or useful.  A league is defined by its product on the field.  The Eredevisie is major league but in terms of talent has more in common with the Bundesliga II than the Bundesliga.  SPL and Eredivisie both depend on a few big clubs to lend the rest of the league relevance.  Our big clubs are already in MLS.

Anyway, I've already hijacked this thread long enough.  I think it would be fun to see my Hamilton team playing (and beating) TFC's propects.  That is all.

Archived