Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

Yes, and he was the Whitecaps best and most dangerous player.

As he has been in his last 5 games at fullback. He might be the best fullback in MLS when he's played there.

Not saying I want to move him there full time, but it's a great option to have.

EDIT: He does do a terrible job of closing Carleton on the last ATL goal, but I can't blame him for not hustling in the 87' of a finished game after running for basically the entire second half.

2 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

As he has been in his last 5 games at fullback. He might be the best fullback in MLS when he's played there.

Not saying I want to move him there full time, but it's a great option to have.

Good to hear but playing him at full back is a criminal waste of talent, even if he is great there. What next, Larin at Centre Back?! Our attacking talent needs to be used.........in attack!!

Just now, dsqpr said:

Good to hear but playing him at full back is a criminal waste of talent, even if he is great there. What next, Larin at Centre Back?! Our attacking talent needs to be used.........in attack!!

The Caps don't have 2 wingers better than Davies right now, so he'll play there. That said, let's not act like fullback isn't a gigantic aspect of modern football. If you discount the first game of this season, Davies best games with the Caps have all been from fullback.

There is a reason for that. For all of the praise we throw at him, Davies is a subpar MLS winger in tight spaces and in the final third. From LB he has the freedom to attack the open space (which is his elite trait) that isn't available further up the field. He thrives in those spots. So while I think giving him the time to develop as a winger is important, giving him time in his best position at the moment is also good for both player and team.

Side note: I hate talking about players being "good attackers" and "good defenders". The game is much more nuanced than that. Name almost any player in the world and they have good and bad attacking traits. 

1 hour ago, harrycoyster said:

There is a reason for that. For all of the praise we throw at him, Davies is a subpar MLS winger in tight spaces and in the final third  

Agree to disagree. Dude ran rap the one game he got to play full blown winger and scored a goal and got an assist. 

He he is the best creative and physical talent Canada has had in the history of this team. Come at me with your dero  or whoever else references. Let’s not underserve this kid. He is the best reason to follow the cmnt at the moment. If you disagree you’rre still gonna be complaining he didn’t “achieve his True possibility “ when he’s playing for  team not named man city. 

2 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

For all of the praise we throw at him, Davies is a subpar MLS winger in tight spaces and in the final third.

Don't agree with you here. He has actually been very good and getting better every game in tight spaces. His growth every game has been amazing. Final third is getting better as well. Wouldn't at all call it "subpar". 

5 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

Don't agree with you here. He has actually been very good and getting better every game in tight spaces. His growth every game has been amazing. Final third is getting better as well. Wouldn't at all call it "subpar". 

The main advanced statistic for final third wingplay is key passes/unforced turnovers. Even if we only use this season's stats, Davies kp/ut ratio is .28. Better than the .21 he had last year, but still just over half the MLS average. For reference, Techera is at a 1 this year and put up a .55 last year. I wouldn't consider him an above average MLS winger. This isn't to say that Davies isn't improving in this area, he is. He's just needs more chances to deliver a goal scoring opportunity than the average MLS winger.

Now let's look at the stat he's currently sitting at top 5 in MLS: players beat off the dribble. 15 completed with a 71% success rate. 14 of which in the first two-thirds of the field. 4 of Davies 6 failed dribbles were in the final third. Dribbles are always harder to come by the closer you get to goal, but those numbers are pretty irregular for wide midfielders in MLS.

Bottomline: Davies is still learning how to produce as a true winger. His numbers this year are promising and show growth, but he's clearly more comfortable and impactful on the ball when picking it up in deeper positions. Add in the fact that he has become a willing, confident defender and you have a MLS-class wingback. Still, he has all the tools to eventually become a Alberth Elis level producer in MLS from the wings. The Caps will continue to aid that process whenever viable. 

9 hours ago, dsqpr said:

I am waiting for Houston to play Elis at wingback.

11 minutes ago, honestseveran said:

Play Shea there. He was groomed there for 2 seasons at Orlando.

...where he was a catastrophe on a non-playoff team? 

EDIT: To expand on this, it's obviously better that Davies plays as a true winger rather than a fullback/wingback. But I think this is just a temporary thing, especially because Davies is our only legit, MLS quality option at LW and will probably slot back there once De Jong and the other LBs get healthy.

19 minutes ago, saladroit said:

...where he was a catastrophe on a non-playoff team? 

EDIT: To expand on this, it's obviously better that Davies plays as a true winger rather than a fullback/wingback. But I think this is just a temporary thing, especially because Davies is our only legit, MLS quality option at LW and will probably slot back there once De Jong and the other LBs get healthy.

I hope you are right and you probably are, but I wouldn't be surprised if Robinson kept Davies there.

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I hope you are right and you probably are, but I wouldn't be surprised if Robinson kept Davies there.

If Robinson keeps rolling out a 3-5-2 (which I highly, highly doubt considering the Caps have lost whenever they've played that formation), then I guess he'll keep Davies there. Otherwise, he's the starting LW without much of a doubt

In the meantime, just look at this stuff:

1 hour ago, saladroit said:

Beautiful to see that kind of skill from a Canadian.  However on multiple occasions in that video he should have moved the ball much quicker.  By continuing the dribble too long he actually slowed down the attack.  Shows he has plenty of room to grow but some of the footwork and acceleration into space got me out of my seat I have to say!

10 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Beautiful to see that kind of skill from a Canadian.  However on multiple occasions in that video he should have moved the ball much quicker.  By continuing the dribble too long he actually slowed down the attack.  Shows he has plenty of room to grow but some of the footwork and acceleration into space got me out of my seat I have to say!

There were plenty of times during the game where Davies made the simple pass out during the game. They just don't make it into a video like this. I like that when Davies sees an opportunity he goes for it. It not only demonstrates he's offensive potential but it is great for developing it. 

10 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

The main advanced statistic for final third wingplay is key passes/unforced turnovers. 

Advanced statistics are useful but they never tell the whole story.  It is an area he needs too improve - better service and interplay in tight spaces - but he brings some special qualities that more than make up for it.  At any moment he can make something out of nothing which puts pressure on a defense in a way other wingers with better ratings do not.  Now the question is, will he continue to round out his game or will he just depend on those special abilities?  That is why I want him kept as an attacking player.  As a wingback he will not be forced to develop in those areas where he is lacking.

1 minute ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

100% agreed.  But there will be moments in these runs after beating 3 guys he will learn to make better decisions.

Keep in mind they'r down a man so options are limited. On the last run he passed the ball off and created a chance that went off the post

4 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Best player on the field, for either team. Too bad most of the work is done in his own 3rd not the opposing 3rd or there would be goals attached 

I'l go out on a limb and say, right now he is too good for the mls

I think his situation is perfect. Last year he had trouble breaking into the lineup. This year he's finally looking like he'll be a core player. I wouldn't say he's too good for MLS now but I think over the course of the year he could prove that out. 

At which point he can be transferred to a German club. 

1 minute ago, Yoginess said:

I think his situation is perfect. Last year he had trouble breaking into the lineup. This year he's finally looking like he'll be a core player. I wouldn't say he's too good for MLS now but I think over the course of the year he could prove that out. 

At which point he can be transferred to a German club. 

He can' go anywhere anyways. I' just saying he's toying with people out there. Plus if you consider he's a winger. He should be on the end of things not necessarily creating things for everyone else. What he does is nothing drawn up on a white board. He's just purely dominating people

2 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

He can' go anywhere anyways. I' just saying he's toying with people out there. Plus if you consider he's a winger. He should be on the end of things not necessarily creating things for everyone else. What he does is nothing drawn up on a white board. He's just purely dominating people

He's had 2 great games and 1 good one. Let's see if he can string this out for half a season or a full season. If he can put up double digit goals and assists I think that will go a long way for him. 

Archived