Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I heard the interview and I didn' take it that way. His phone was cutting out so I think he was addressing the misinterpretation that this means he is going to ManU permanently or there is a done deal. I might be wrong but I don' think he was denying he'll head over for a training spell. After a pretty weak end of the season im sure ManU or anyone would like to get a first hand look at him and see how he does in that environment 

I agree. I don't think he was denying that he was going to train with ManU, just pointing out that is was only for training.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

I have an issue with the argument that if we started more academy players in MLS we'd have more MLS level players. Soccer isn't a crapshoot. Coaches know what the ceiling of a player is given their traits. The Canadian MLS teams aren't in a situation where they have 5 MLS calibre players coming out of the academy a year but decide they like their veterans more. The talent just isn't there in those numbers, despite all three CMLS academies being top spending MLS clubs on youth academies. Alphonso Davies is the best player a CMLS academy has ever produced and he was somewhere between below average and outright bad for an MLS winger last season.

That isn’t what I was saying either. I am not saying that starting a player will make them all of a sudden MLS players. But, If there was a Canadian quota, Raheem Edwards would most likely have a starting job. Because he is cheap, talented, and has the ability to play in the MLS. It is about teams regognizing those with talent and putting enough effort and patience into developing them.

15 minutes ago, yothat said:

was he even really developed by the whitecaps? was already developed by the time he was 15/16 ... 

Talking about Davies? Yeah, one could argue he's very much the same player he was 18 months ago - aside from the defensive side of the game.

5 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I'm not suggesting Robbo has done a great job, but Davies 2017 was a pretty successful season for a 16 year old. 41 matches, 7 goals between club and country.

Personally, I'd like to see him play farther up the pitch and more centrally. I think he has a lot more to give offensively.

Yes he had a good season, but i think most of that is just natural ability. Robbo has coached him up minimally on the offensive of things.

I agree, i would love to see Davies play up higher and also learn to better play with his teammates in the attacking buildup. And so i don't come across as shitting on Robbo too much; the work he has defensively with Davies will pay off, i could see Davies becoming a dominant, physical, two-way CM like Pogba some day.

1 minute ago, harrycoyster said:

Of all the holes in Davies game, passing under pressure/in tight areas is the biggest. Would take a huge improvement in that area for him to ever reach that level.

Well he's only 17, the sky's the limit with the high quality coaching he's receiving!

10 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Is it all because they're perceived as not giving Canadians enough playing time on their first team?

Mostly. The other part of it is the tendency of their supporters on this board to shit on Canadians when defending the Caps. TFC and Impact fans generally shit on their clubs for fucking up, but Caps excuse their clubs behaviour towards Canadians. Sometimes makes you wonder if some are club employees.

8 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Yes

Haha, alright. While I don't necessarily agree, I can certainly appreciate your honesty and bluntness.

5 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Mostly. The other part of it is the tendency of their supporters on this board to shit on Canadians when defending the Caps. TFC and Impact fans generally shit on their clubs for fucking up, but Caps excuse their clubs behaviour towards Canadians. Sometimes makes you wonder if some are club employees.

What a masterful job of nullifying one side of an argument. 

Caps wish list:

1-quality football with a playing identity

2-winning mentality and results

3-pride in academy translates in former academy players populating the first team

4-more respect for fans (end zones still pay more, outrageous cynicism)

5-less passivity and more character from the ownership and less BS from the FO

If you had any of #5 you'd start to see the other 4 improve.

16 hours ago, jpg75 said:

You're a regular Sherlock Holmes.

Archived