Canada vs Ghana Tuesday Oct 13th, Washington DC

Let's not lose that this is a friendly.  More likely to leave other guys off the roster to give more new people a chance at the fold and see if they can work their way into the WCQ lineups.  I suspect quite a few will.  These guys need to learn the Floro system, so as many new faces as possible to give us that depth is amazing.  

Big thumbs up to Floro for being the catalyst in getting all these new additions.  Props, Benito.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TBH I'm not sure I like this many  new inclusions for our last camp/friendly before our most important game in 4 years. I'm also worried with some of the missing players like Larin, Nik L. and Atiba who are probably going to start on November 13th.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see some of the new faces but I don't like this roster because the November roster will be really different.

TBH I'm not sure I like this many  new inclusions for our last camp/friendly before our most important game in 4 years. I'm also worried with some of the missing players like Larin, Nik L. and Atiba who are probably going to start on November 13th.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see some of the new faces but I don't like this roster because the November roster will be really different.

Totally agree. I thought the whole purpose of this friendly was to get our first X1 some more playing time to gel before WCQ a month from now?

I'm really happy for the new additions. The timing just seems really odd.

Bizarre roster. Yes, it's good to get new people in & back into the fold, but I wasn't expecting such an experimental line up. I thought it would be the regular WCQ line-up with so me fine tuning & additions here and there, so that the squad has "gelled" (to the best extent possible) ahead of the most important game for Canada in the past 3 years - the November game in Vancouver against Honduras.

Also, not that I am upset to see them there, but if Jordan Hamilton & Manny Aparacio are good enough for the men's senior team in WCQ prep, why aren't they with the Olympic team - it's not like there is a TFCII club committment preventing them from going. With Bustos & Adekugbe I would ask the same question but I'm aware that the Whitecaps told the CSA to go jump in the lake in terms of releasing them for the Olympic qualifiers.

Just posted basically the same thing without having seen your post first - I share the same concerns, although I'm not sure I am worried about Nik L. missing so much.

If the fence sitters wanted to commit I dont think we could chance telling then to wait until camp cupcake and perhaps them changing their minds.

They want to play for us. Integrate them into the system asap. Some of these guys can be influential in wcq. Ie hoilett cavillani. And some are very promising. Ie aird bustos. 

Excited to see Simeon Jackson get a shot, curious to see how he looks and if he sees the field. 

I agree with most, would have been nice to see more of the WCQ roster.  Nice to see the depth though and lots of players getting a chance to showcase themselves before the 1st WCQ. 

Pardon my ignorance? Does anyone know the limits of subs?  Could Floro do what some countries do in friendlies and potentially do an entire 11 man swap?

Reading some of the quotes makes me really worried about Floro. 

Integrating so many new players (including the ones we haven t seen for a long time) at rhis point is already questionnable but leaving so many important pieces a month before our most important game is a strange way to go.

I think it is a kudos to Floro and the players themself to have the potential "fence sitters" come in now at the start of this next round.

I remember reading this board last year and the majority only wanted was youth. 

"The Spanish coach has picked a total of 53 players for his 2015 camps with 35 of those 26 years or younger."   I I am glad he gave and is giving that many young guys a look. Time will tell if I am anti-floro or pro-floro. :) 

My preferred starting 11:

-----------------------Borjan------------------------

Aird--------Edgar---------Hainault-----de Jong

-----------------------Straith--------------------------

Ricketts-----Bekker---Hoilett------------Tissot

----------------------Cavallini--------------------------

That is not too much upheaval. You have Arid, Hoilett and Cavallini - essentially only 3 new players into the starting line-up. 

Aird 

Although I get a feeling Attakora, Ouimette or Hainault will start at RB, it would be nice to see what Aird can do there for 90 minutes. However, unless he ends up being an ABSOLUTE revelation, it would be a missed opportunity to see what he can do as an attacking midfielder/wide player.

That is a risk I am willing to take though, as the prospect of replacing Ledgerwood with an attacking wingback is mouthwatering. At the same tiime, if Aird is anything short of BRILLIANT on the backline, I want Nik in there for the Vancouver match. Too close to the big dance for a gamble like that.

Hoilett

Knowing Floro, I would not be surprised to see a negative player like Hainault or Straith in central midfield. A big defensive body to strengthen the spine. 

As always though, I continue to hope that somebody with flair can occupy at least one of those 2 spots behind the CF. I would be shocked if Bekker doesn't have one, and I would be happy to see Froese or Bustos with the other, but Hoilett is the player I really think we need to see in there.

The thing is, as dangerous as he can be as an inverted winger, it leaves us in a place where we are relying on a youngster to pull the strings (or worse a Straith/Hainault). The counter argument is that once Hutchinson and Johnson return those spots are there's anyway, but if you are going to test what he can do as a central creative player now would be the time. 

I have doubts whether he has the ball control to play in such tight spaces, but he certainly has the vision to pick out a pass and he can obviously shoot from the outside. He runs at players and gets into central positions anyways and we could shift him out wide left later there in the game if we really wanted to have a look-see.

Cavallini

We know what Haber can do so we might as well give him as much time as we can to find his feet. If he has his head screwed on right he could be a very real alternative to Larin, who (knock on wood) could hit another goal drought or worse, get injured. In that worse case scenario, i'd be more comfortable with Cavallini getting a solid 75 minutes or more under his belt before bringing on Haber, rather than the reverse.

It will be interesting to see how he does against a good Ghana team with quality (and probably) experienced defenders. We know he's a good finisher in the box, we've seen his movement is good in the box, and we can see how his wide frame is useful for holding the ball up. On the other hand, the chances will be fewer and the defenders will be much more alert than what he's use to in the Uruguayan league or international youth level. 

I'm fairly certain we will see

Borjan

Ouimette Edgar Hainault De Jong

Straith

Aird  Froese Bekker Hoilett

Cavallini

Froese is a very good and versatile DM and we didn't call many up. James could also play in the middle but don't think that will happen.

Agree, Nik L. isn't a big concern for me. Sure, we could improve at RB if we find a better option but Nik has been reliable. My biggest concern is the number of important players who it seems have been given the "day off" by Floro prior to 2 crucial WC qualifiers. That's really weird, specially when you consider that someone like Atiba hasn't been around that often lately (missed the GC). So, unless there's some injuries we don't know about, this is worrying.

Totally agree. I thought the whole purpose of this friendly was to get our first X1 some more playing time to gel before WCQ a month from now?

This is sort of how I feel. Yes, we do need to bring people into the program and you are not going to say, hey, no, wait. That would be foolish. 

But the friendly is not a kick around, it is our last match before a WC qualifier a month later. I understand Benito wants to bring people in, raise competition on the squad, raise the tension. All fine. Also to get some more quality that has been on the fringe or out of the MNT. 

Still, what I thought this would be about is getting a starting 11 plus 4-5 more of the core team more honed for a critical couple games a month later. Leaving off players who could come, as their leagues rest on FIFA dates (Hutch), I find odd. Unless he is not 100%. 

Some of the players here are clearly not going to be on the team for the WC qualifiers, or I doubt it, so I don't get them being called here. I think Sam and Froese were called as a way of Floro saying to Whitecaps, okay, you don't release him for non-FIFA dates for the Olympic tourney, fine, we'll take him now you have no choice.

Like I said earlier, the new team is going to gel over a couple of low impact sessions in Vancouver. Good thing we're only playing Hond...oh wait a second...

Leaving off players who could come, as their leagues rest on FIFA dates (Hutch), I find odd. Unless he is not 100%. 

Exactly. Especially when our new most threatening attack is presumably Atiba passing to Hoilet and they have (again, presumably) never kicked a ball together in their life. This isn't Sunday pick-up in the park.

I also have a feeling we are going to get a little glimpse of what the likes of Jamaica and Trinidad have gone through in previous cycles with late additions. Not all of the outcomes will be positive and I expect a few new possible spats and sendings home over the next few camps as the dust in the snowglobe settles again.

Super psyched at all the new additions and returns. This is possibly one of the most hopeful days for a Canadian fan in a loooong time.

That said i am in total agreement about the lack of continuity between this pool of players and our core so close to qualifying.

Long time reader of this site, as it is the only site that has good discussion on the CNMT. 

I just want to echo the concerns expressed by others about the oddity of this team selection, especially a month away before the WCQ.  As we have seen with the Belize series, the team play leaves a lot to be desired, and now is not the time to be experimenting.

Benito Floro definitely needs to learn to stop holding grudges.  The continued exclusion of Jonathan Osorio continues to boggle the mind.  Leaving out Osorio out for the Belize match is a clear message to the player about his conduct and I am sure he has learned his lesson.  However enough is enough, we need to invite our best players when the qualifications start in November.

Perhaps the oddity can be explained by Floro giving the "now or never" speech to a well known bunch and you don't want that during a serious game so why not do it during a friendly? See who can run with the Black Stars and who can't. If they can stay with that bunch nobody in CONCACAF will run them off the field.

Its true that based on the belize match the team play left a lot to be desired. 

Which is probably why floro is testing some new high quality additions to the squad. Perhaps he recognized what we had against belize was never going to score no matter how cohesive the team was. Perhaps he thinks adding attacking players like hoilett cavillani aird will inprove our scoring chances and have them integrate to his tactics. 

I wouldve likee to see all the mls regulars and hutch in the squad though. Its an intl break. Too bad mls doesnt break for it. 

Archived