Canada vs Ghana Tuesday Oct 13th, Washington DC

Or maybe the CSA wanted them for both and were told "pick one" so they did. I've heard nothing official from either the CSA or the Caps about the U23 call up so that is just speculation / rumour (including my "pick one") unless you or the original poster has a link or quote from the CSA/Caps about it.

“Not only Larin, but multiple players who also play for MLS and Canada weren't able to be called up to the squad because these aren't FIFA dates and they intersect with MLS dates,” said Floro, who is also the Canadian senior squad's coach, through a translator during a news conference on Wednesday night.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/10/01/canada-head-coach-benito-floro-unhappy-not-have-several-mls-players-olympic

They were called for the U-23 first.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So not only do we have the problem of MLS not respecting FIFA dates now we have Olympic qualifiers on non-FIFA dates because the IOC and FIFA won't work together. Great. Let's blame the clubs! What a plan.

They were released for duty on FIFA dates and not on the IOC dates. Can't blame the clubs, MLS or FIFA if the IOC just thinks it can run its tournaments whenever it wants.

Sorry but this one is totally on the IOC if they chose the dates for their qualifiers. You can't blame clubs for not releasing players on non-FIFA dates. We have enough problems with MLS not respecting FIFA dates already.

Dont think it has anything to do with the IOC. They dont run the qualifying tournament. It is fifa and concacaf who does. Just like fiba and fiba americas runs qualifying for basketball. Just like the iihf for hockey. Etc

Okay then why would FIFA run tournaments on non-FIFA dates? This makes even less sense than the IOC.

Okay then why would FIFA run tournaments on non-FIFA dates? This makes even less sense than the IOC.

because they elect to have one continuous tournament at one neutural location as opposed to spread over 3 fifa windows at various locations. 

Same deal with the U20s. Nothing new really. 

Whitecaps have no interest in this country, I think that much is clear in their 5 years of MLS existence.  The fact they wouldn't release Bustos, Froese or Adekugbe for Canada is a complete joke.  The least domestic club on the planet HOLD BACK players?  I feel like this is a social experiment.  Sure that would be fine if you even put them on the bench.... it's pathetic.  

Of course players like Larin, Bustos and Adekugbe should be on a flight to Salt Lake but no this is Canada you know we have such an abundance of talented players that we can keep players like this off the Olympic team.

Players not being released on non-FIFA dates now qualifies as a joke? Okay. You amuse too easily. Have a nice day.

kinda is when they dont even see the field for the caps. Especially when they say "ok you can take them but we may call them back before the tournament even starts" 

kinda is when they dont even see the field for the caps. Especially when they say "ok you can take them but we may call them back before the tournament even starts" 

I don't know the exact reasoning for them not being released for U23 play and either does anyone else here. We don't even know who Floro was talking about aside from Larin. Maybe someone should ask him for specific names.

Fact is on non-FIFA dates 2 players from the Caps were given the okay to play. On a FIFA date they release 3 more.

Did TMC Murph defend TFC when they said that Morgan needed to stay in Toronto to not play a minuite for TFC or it is only because they are attacking the club that he likes?

No that is someone else's club. Those who cheer for it can provide the reasons they think it happened.

Honestly I understand the position of "we're in a playoff race" and I get why it is a big deal for clubs. But I do have a problem with the 'caps keeping Bustos, who won't see the field for the whitecaps for the rest of the year, and Adekugbe who is their 3rd choice left back who only gets played when Harvey and the american guy who they converted to a LB to play ahead of Adekugbe get hurt. I understand Froese has had, and could continue to have an impact on the season, but look at RBNY giving their best defender to the USA for this tourny. The Red Bulls are competing directly with the caps for the supporters shield and they gave up one of their most important players! Orlando desperately needs Larin and have no real connection to Canada so I didn't expect to get him, but come on 'caps, really? I doubt Bustos makes the bench let alone an impact in the playoffs.

There may only be a Pay-Per-View online broadcast of this game :( :

Provision have also been made for those fans across the globe that may not be able to catch the game in person at the RFK Stadium in Washington DC to watch it online via pay-per-view in a live stream to be available on the www.topgloballllc.com source: http://www.topgloballlc.com/#!events/cee5

I'm going. Sent you a PM.

Doug (Trillium) was a maybe. He says he's out. Thanksgiving stuff.

db707 (The Voyageur that lives in DC who posted in this thread), hasn't visited this thread since Sept 22nd but I'll try and get into contact with him.

I am intending to go, but it depends on how my Monday goes (have to go to Norfolk and back to donate a library, will be quite the endeavor).

I am intending to go, but it depends on how my Monday goes (have to go to Norfolk and back to donate a library, will be quite the endeavor).

Good luck with your book donations, stay in touch because Jamie (socceronly) may have something good arranged for us. Have you purchased your ticket yet? If not, perhaps best to hold off. I doubt they will sell out.

Archived