Canada vs Ghana Tuesday Oct 13th, Washington DC

If a guy like Nakajima Faran who could not cut it in the MLS and is now playing in that hotbed of a league that is the Malaysian league gets picked over Osorio ever again then there really is no hope here and I'm not going to even bring up the Bekker thing again because that has been beaten more than a dead horse , and don't get me wrong God bless any players that answer the call to play for Canada I do appreciate their loyalties to our country, but Nakajima Faran really.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If a guy like Nakajima Faran who could not cut it in the MLS and is now playing in that hotbed of a league that is the Malaysian league gets picked over Osorio ever again then there really is no hope here and I'm not going to even bring up the Bekker thing again because that has been beaten more than a dead horse , and don't get me wrong God bless any players that answer the call to play for Canada I do appreciate their loyalties to our country, but Nakajima Faran really.

So your judgement for why certain players should be called is based solely on the league they play in?

Not entirely but it plays it a big factor for me especially when a player like Nakajima who could not cut it in the MLS for two teams is picked over a guy who has been a regular  starter more or less, and I watched Nakajima play for both teams in the MLS and it was not a surprise that he was let go. But this is not a new thing with the CSA there has been a history of players playing some good club ball not being picked, prime example Fernando Aguiar playing with Benfica at the time not being picked to play for Canada, Eddy Berdusco a top goal scorer in the old CSL not being picked to play for either one of our U20 teams or U23 teams instead overlooked for players who I'm pretty sure were not even playing at the pro level, or Tom Kousmanis a good striker probably was the top Canadian striker at his age group being picked but instead of playing striker they put him in as a defender at one of the U17 WC or qualifying tournaments and using a lesser talented striker up front, sometimes you look back and wonder how come we have not been more successful well sometimes it's crazy decisions that makes you look back and wonder wow if only could things had  been different.

From watching the two, I thought Osorio and Nakajima were about the same level. I wouldn't knock either and wouldn't be upset if they were started for Canada but, on the other hand, their absence wouldn't upset me much either. You make it sound like Osorio is head and shoulders better but I don't see it.

The group of the three of you were shown a few times on the stream, along with a couple of girls who were sitting behind you to your right. Otherwise, the section was empty, no? 

The girls drove from NYC. One said she was there to support Haber because they had just started dating. Marcus must be a player because he plays in England and has a girlfriend living in New York. :cool:

Unless proven to be effective at RB, IE Edgar, Canada can't afford to have a CB playing RB. None of our CBs except Edgar is good enough to play RB.

If we're talking about "defending", I definitely think Henry can play RB.

However there are some on here that count the most important aspect of a RB or LB is their ability to get forward and swing in a cross (that's fine if you do, I don't), then there might be some qualms about him playing there.

I think he can definitely do the job though.  I'd have him there once fully fit and provided there are no big absences at CB.

Not entirely but it plays it a big factor for me especially when a player like Nakajima who could not cut it in the MLS for two teams is picked over a guy who has been a regular  starter more or less, and I watched Nakajima play for both teams in the MLS and it was not a surprise that he was let go. But this is not a new thing with the CSA there has been a history of players playing some good club ball not being picked, prime example Fernando Aguiar playing with Benfica at the time not being picked to play for Canada, Eddy Berdusco a top goal scorer in the old CSL not being picked to play for either one of our U20 teams or U23 teams instead overlooked for players who I'm pretty sure were not even playing at the pro level, or Tom Kousmanis a good striker probably was the top Canadian striker at his age group being picked but instead of playing striker they put him in as a defender at one of the U17 WC or qualifying tournaments and using a lesser talented striker up front, sometimes you look back and wonder how come we have not been more successful well sometimes it's crazy decisions that makes you look back and wonder wow if only could things had  been different.

I see your point but I don't believe TFC or Montreal Impact are great assessors of talent so the fact that Issey was traded and then cut by them doesn't mean much to me. Also Issey had a goal or two in his short time in MLS proving he could play and he asked to be released by the Impact because he wanted to go somewhere where he would play regularly. On top of that I think Jono and Issey play different roles for the MNT so it's not one instead of the other for me. 

^

Yes, I agree. Nakajima-Farran didn't leave MLS because he couldn't cut it, for me TFC was terrible timing and a bad fit and then as a Canadian your options are limited when your club is looking to make a move. Really after one team, if the other two aren't interested, you're screwed. INF probably would have been a good depth player on SKC/RSL, or a few other teams, if we were domestics.

1) Nakajima-Farran did warrant a call-up. However he didn't showcase himself well during the Belize games. Now that we have Hoilett and Cavallini I don't think he should be called again. If he does get called he is most certainly not in my starting 11.

To borrow from the political attack ads: I'm not saying no forever, just not now. Nice hair though.

2) Put up 5 pics from the game in the photo gallery section.

Unless proven to be effective at RB, IE Edgar, Canada can't afford to have a CB playing RB. None of our CBs except Edgar is good enough to play RB.

Jackson needs to come to MLS, just to get mins and build his confidence back up.

ouimette is naturally a CB but has been moved to RB. Ouimette brings heart and aggression... You can find that in any defender so what your saying isn't accurate. Just like he was transitioned to RB you can transition another defender as well.  Hainault playes RB as well, I'm not sure why floro prefers going with ouimette over hainault as we've seen for many games prior to yesterday's game 

I see your point but I don't believe TFC or Montreal Impact are great assessors of talent so the fact that Issey was traded and then cut by them doesn't mean much to me. Also Issey had a goal or two in his short time in MLS proving he could play and he asked to be released by the Impact because he wanted to go somewhere where he would play regularly. On top of that I think Jono and Issey play different roles for the MNT so it's not one instead of the other for me. 

Issey did not ask to be let go by Impact, that is false. He was blindsided by them late in the transfer period, ended up without a team for 3 months, and has spoken out very openly about how he was screwed, and how other Canadians are too by the Canadian teams. 

This can be had from press reports, I happened to get it directly from those closest to him. 

I agree Issey did not pick the best league, but he found a league that could sign him in March, and was going to play a summer season into fall. He looked at Denmark, where he'd been, and got an offer from Malaysia as they have a rule that allows them to bring in Asians who are internationals in special conditions. Turns out, in spite of the apparently lower level, there is money in Malaysian football, an example:

http://www.fourthofficial.com/2015/22583/brazilian-star-ronaldinho-set-to-grace-malaysian-football/

Issey did not ask to be let go by Impact, that is false. He was blindsided by them late in the transfer period, ended up without a team for 3 months, and has spoken out very openly about how he was screwed, and how other Canadians are too by the Canadian teams. 

This can be had from press reports, I happened to get it directly from those closest to him. 

I agree Issey did not pick the best league, but he found a league that could sign him in March, and was going to play a summer season into fall. He looked at Denmark, where he'd been, and got an offer from Malaysia as they have a rule that allows them to bring in Asians who are internationals in special conditions. Turns out, in spite of the apparently lower level, there is money in Malaysian football, an example:

http://www.fourthofficial.com/2015/22583/brazilian-star-ronaldinho-set-to-grace-malaysian-football/

You're right, I remember that now. Is it possible I'm confusing his exit from TFC? Did he ask for a trade? 

No Issey did not ask for a trade, he was surprised and upset by the trade from TFC shortly after arriving there and not even being settled in. He did not ask to get let go from the Impact either but after the things he said at the end of year press conference it was not a big surprise. The Impact did screw him though by releasing him so late. I don't think he was MLS starter material but I do agree that if he was American he could have caught on with a few teams as a depth player. He has some offensive and technical ability (which makes him exciting to watch and a fan favourite) but often it was more flash than being really productive. He scored a couple of goals in Toronto but with the Impact he made Oduro and Ricketts seem like clinical finishers, he could be alone in front of the keeper and miss the net by 10 meters. Defensively he was also very poor. And if he wasn't playing he seemed to be a player that wouldn't be a team guy and wait his chance but who would bitch and have a negative attitude. I think he is a player who has some skill which makes one initially overrate him a bit but who ultimately is pretty flawed and a borderline MLS/national team player. I would also say TFC won that trade. Warner is not a star player but he is a decent defensive mid and Montreal could have used him this year with all our problems at that position. Warner was often a whipping boy in Montreal because he was played so often out of position in offensive roles that did not match his skillset. In his natural DMid position Warner is a starting level MLS player, Issey is not a starting level MLS winger.

No Issey did not ask for a trade, he was surprised and upset by the trade from TFC shortly after arriving there and not even being settled in. He did not ask to get let go from the Impact either but after the things he said at the end of year press conference it was not a big surprise. The Impact did screw him though by releasing him so late. I don't think he was MLS starter material but I do agree that if he was American he could have caught on with a few teams as a depth player. He has some offensive and technical ability (which makes him exciting to watch and a fan favourite) but often it was more flash than being really productive. He scored a couple of goals in Toronto but with the Impact he made Oduro and Ricketts seem like clinical finishers, he could be alone in front of the keeper and miss the net by 10 meters. Defensively he was also very poor. And if he wasn't playing he seemed to be a player that wouldn't be a team guy and wait his chance but who would bitch and have a negative attitude. I think he is a player who has some skill which makes one initially overrate him a bit but who ultimately is pretty flawed and a borderline MLS/national team player. I would also say TFC won that trade. Warner is not a star player but he is a decent defensive mid and Montreal could have used him this year with all our problems at that position. Warner was often a whipping boy in Montreal because he was played so often out of position in offensive roles that did not match his skillset. In his natural DMid position Warner is a starting level MLS player, Issey is not a starting level MLS winger.

I agreed with everything up until you mentioned Warner. Montreal's midfield is much better this year and Mallace is playing really well. I can't see Warner starting ahead of Bernier, Donadel, NRC or Alexander. Warner couldn't make a forward pass last year.

When Nakajima-Farran and Josh Simpson emerged with the MNT around the same time I thought Issey would develop into the better player because at that time his skill level was superior whereas Simpson was still an athlete first, footballer second.  But Josh made more of his pro journey and developed into a much better all-around player while Issey left me feeling that he could have done more.  He's definitely an interesting guy with his off field interests so perhaps the drive, determination, and single-mindedness needed to make the most of the potential and talent isn't there, who knows. 

I can't believe the comments saying that Aird is ready at this level, he was getting shredded over and over again defensively, he's not ready yet, certainly not to replace someone who has been as solid as Ledgerwood during the last 8 months. I'm excited by what Aird can bring and he looked good moving the ball forward but he's not ready to deal with the fast tricky small guys that are prevalent in CONCACAF. Also Issey looked pretty good at home against Belize, he played a big role in the first two goals and sure he made some mistakes, turned the ball over, but he's a winger and that comes with the territory.

As the only Voyageur at the game I got interviewed twice.

The girl on the right at the end told me she was dating Marcus Haber. Came to the game with her friend.

I drove to a TFC game in Kansas City before with my friend. We were the only TFC fans. I know how you felt. Management and players were pretty happy to see us too

way to represent.

The girl on the right at the end told me she was dating Marcus Haber. Came to the game with her friend.

I find it very strange the embassy did not have their staff there. When I lived in Germany twice Canadian boxers had title fights in Leipzig and the Canadian embassy both time sent a lot of staff from Berlin 200 kms away. Yet in Washington which probably has the largest staff of any Canadian foreign embassy they did not send anyone to see "The national team for crying out loud" when they are playing in the same city. That is pathetic. (Can we blame Harper? :) )

More red peppers in that video than red shirts. Fantastic Benjamin, great job.

I really think we should vote a Voyageur of the year award, take all the anecdotes and stories of dedication and put them into a thread at the end of the year, and vote.

And the winner can get a pack of corn flour or something.

Archived