Your 23-Man Roster for Belize series.

Hawkguy

Atiba and Will calls do not excite me because in my eyes they should be there regardless. It's not like we brought in Arfield or Hoilett - these guys are already veterans of our program. Glad they are there but it's an expectation and when things occur that I expect I don't consider that a win.

I have the opposite opinion - I am excited. I wasn't sure that Johnson would be back nor did I know that Atiba would be healthy so this is good news. It's a win in that, if they weren't here, Bekker might start.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the opposite opinion - I am excited. I wasn't sure that Johnson would be back nor did I know that Atiba would be healthy so this is good news. It's a win in that, if they weren't here, Bekker might start.

I can see how you'd think that. Many people doubted Will's committment but I personally felt he'd be back when the time was right and I always took him for his word when he said he still wants to play for Canada.

Hutchinson recently went 90 for Besiktas so his fitness concerns were put to rest ahead of this call, for me anyways.

Man I can't wait for this matches!

Henry and Osorio are the only two players I'd add to this. I assume all our strikers are getting regular minutes at their clubs currently? Only argument against Henry is he isn't getting regular minutes at West Ham. Oso is at TFC, so I assume a deal was struck to keep him there to help TFC's playoff placement.

it wasn't a deal.

floro straight up didn't call anyone from tfc

floro rates bekker over Osorio

SMH

would also like direct questions to floro about tissot ocean leutwiler vittoria lefevere

If we qualify to the next round, I don't believe Floro would select the same roster. I believe he's trying to look at younger players that can be considered as depht to the current pool. That being said, as others pointed out, it seems Floro rates Bekker over Osorio, which is a disapointing. Regardless of the current selections, I hope we will see a midfield capable of do a little bit more than just defend.

Exactly, and as always we are one pulled muscle away from a very weak XI.  Maybe Hutchinson should just train lightly anytime he is with the CMNT now... lol 

Here is a direct question that a reporter should ask:

"Mr. Floro, Kyle Bekker has been on 3 clubs in the last 12 months with little playing time and underwhelming performances at the international level.  At this point why is he a call up for you squad?"

Instead this is the question we constantly have to ask Floro:

"Why can't the team score?"  "How is the team adapting to your approach?"

Like what interesting answer are you possibly going to get back from Floro with these lame repetitive questions?

There is a lot of negative reaction to this roster, but I guess that shouldn't be a surprise.

The Henry omission is disappointing as I was looking forward to seeing him in action again, but to counter that, Gasparotto is getting rave reviews in Scotland and could be a big piece of our backline going forward, so I am excited to see him in action with the senior team. Likewise with Petrasso. It looks like there are a lot of U-23 players as well, potentially one last look before the Olympic qualification squad is named?

I would rather have Osorio in for Bekker as well, but in all honesty Bekker won't be a big piece of this squad. Neither would Osorio to be honest.

Also, no call for Vitoria? Hahahaha....damn rights there's no call for Vitoria!

Does Floro really rate Bekker ahead of Osorio though?  Going be this year alone, it would seem that they play two different positions: Bekker plays centrally and Osorio seems to play out wide.  It almost seems like Floro rates Issey, Tesho, Teibert and Ricketts ahead of Osorio.  Bekker will be battling Hutch, Johnson, Piette and Straith for playing time.

Remember: this isn't a video game. 

Osorio is more than capable of playing in the middle and has done so for Canada as well so I don't think it's the fact that TFC has used him wide sometimes in the past year that he has been dropped and Bekker is still in the squad.  Benito just undoubtedly rates Bekker, period.  Maybe he reminds him of a player in his past experience and he believes in him, I think that's the likely scenario here.  

Osorio is more than capable of playing in the middle and has done so for Canada as well so I don't think it's the fact that TFC has used him wide sometimes in the past year that he has been dropped and Bekker is still in the squad. Benito just undoubtedly rates Bekker, period. Maybe he reminds him of a player in his past experience and he believes in him, I think that's the likely scenario here.

+1

I think Floro has no confidence in our ability to score from open play and feels our best chance to score will be from Set Pieces. Hence the Bekker inclusion.

Exactly.

Lets be honest: are we more likely to score from an Osorio through ball to Ricketts, or from a Bekker set piece to Edgar's fat head?  

We don't play a style or formation suited to Osorio's strengths.  He is not a strong, 2 way midfielder like Hutch or Johnson, and he is not a defense first mid like Piette or Straith.  Osorio would thrive in a 3-2 midfield, in any of the 3 positions ahead of the 2 defensive mids.  Maybe that is how we should be playing.  But that is not our reality.  We play dump and chase football now, and Oso doesnt fit into that scheme very well.  

I am ok with this roster. Think we can all agree Johnson and Hutch are going to be important players for us this cycle so their inclusion is encouraging. I like the James inclusion as well, good opportunity for him to be around the senior team; support of the Petrasso selection too. I know some will have their doubts over the Petrasso selection but one of our biggest problems in the gold cup was creativity and showing any resemblance of attacking ability. Whether that was on Floro or not Petrasso does bring something different going forward. Like many others disappointed with the Osorio snub and Bekker selection. I can't see what Bekker brings though I appreciate him answering the call. Hoping there is legit minutes for Teibert and where not screaming at 70 minutes to put him in.

I think it is friggin' hilarious that folks are getting up in arms about exclusions and about best squads when the threads on our semi-final round are longer than the Belize threads.

90% of the geniuses here have been totally assuming we'd get by Belize playing with the u-16s and then, when the roster comes out, there is all this fussing about and frantic hand-wringing.

A bit of logical consistency please.

If we cannot get past Belize with this squad then obviously we are screwed. What is more, you have to put the GC squad on the pitch, and say, okay, let's see you do it right this time vs. these guys.

Also because it's a serious round, so the least experiments possible. The same mix, the same tactics, execute better. The kids are brought in to get them learning the Floro system and support them as some don't get minutes, most will only play if we get a strong 1st leg result anyways. In fact that is why they are there. And to get hyped about the u-23 Olympic qualifying.

I think Occean was part of this somewhat childish bubble being blown up about us not scoring and needing a solution--but that could never be resolved calling in Olivier and watching him score vs. a near minnow. It would have proved absolutely nothing. Floro is right to ask the same MFckers who could not do the job right in the GC to do it right now. And they'd better. 

If we squeeze by, if the goals are still missed, then by all means call in Olivier in November, at the tail end of this Norway season. You have a whole 6-game cycle to see if he's really the man.

In any case, with Johnson and Hutch we are already notably better. If Floro felt Will would leave Osorio on the bench, better to have him stay with TFC anyways.

Bekker, totally agree, very odd I find. 

Pleased for Issey. He's on a scoring streak in a league where you play teams at Belize-like level, and he has the ability to break in from the wing and do some damage, on a good day. So a needed addition, and some experience too, in a relatively young squad.

I think it is friggin' hilarious that folks are getting up in arms about exclusions and about best squads when the threads on our semi-final round are longer than the Belize threads.

90% of the geniuses here have been totally assuming we'd get by Belize playing with the u-16s and then, when the roster comes out, there is all this fussing about and frantic hand-wringing.

A bit of logical consistency please.

If we cannot get past Belize with this squad then obviously we are screwed. What is more, you have to put the GC squad on the pitch, and say, okay, let's see you do it right this time vs. these guys.

Also because it's a serious round, so the least experiments possible. The same mix, the same tactics, execute better. The kids are brought in to get them learning the Floro system and support them as some don't get minutes, most will only play if we get a strong 1st leg result anyways. In fact that is why they are there. And to get hyped about the u-23 Olympic qualifying.

I think Occean was part of this somewhat childish bubble being blown up about us not scoring and needing a solution--but that could never be resolved calling in Olivier and watching him score vs. a near minnow. It would have proved absolutely nothing. Floro is right to ask the same MFckers who could not do the job right in the GC to do it right now. And they'd better. 

If we squeeze by, if the goals are still missed, then by all means call in Olivier in November, at the tail end of this Norway season. You have a whole 6-game cycle to see if he's really the man.

In any case, with Johnson and Hutch we are already notably better. If Floro felt Will would leave Osorio on the bench, better to have him stay with TFC anyways.

Bekker, totally agree, very odd I find. 

Pleased for Issey. He's on a scoring streak in a league where you play teams at Belize-like level, and he has the ability to break in from the wing and do some damage, on a good day. So a needed addition, and some experience too, in a relatively young squad.

What you are saying about OO could make sense if he had been part of some camps since Floro took the job but he hasn t so something is going on here. The OO situation is really strange and the inability of journalists to ask Floro about it is also quite curious.

I can t understand Bekker and also Osorio absence.

Glad to see Will back in the squad.

Loved Osorio's fire during Gold Cup when he got yanked out of the match prematurely. Disappointing he's not there.

Prematurely? He was garbage in that game. I don't think most of us were thrilled about Hainault as his replacement but he had done marginally more than nothing to that point.

I think Vanney and TFC may have as much to do with his absence as Floro

Considering Michael Bradley is also being asked to stay back from next weekend's game (maybe the Sept 8 game as well), this is most likely the reason. 

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/08/27/report-us-national-team-captain-michael-bradley-expected-miss-friendly-again

Considering Michael Bradley is also being asked to stay back from next weekend's game (maybe the Sept 8 game as well), this is most likely the reason. 

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/08/27/report-us-national-team-captain-michael-bradley-expected-miss-friendly-again

I really, really hope that Osorio/Morgan weren't called and this isn't the case... 

We're only going to be able to hold Bradley back for ONE friendly game, god forbid he misses one USA window for TFC.  I mean he's only missed 9 matches this year because of the USMNT, what's another 2 or 3?  And then on the contrary for Osorio and Morgan to be held back from World Cup Qualifiers would be a sham.  

I have a new nickname for Bradley instead of "The General", his TFC cartoon nickname should be "The Politician" he's so good at talking but rarely on the battlefield.  

I don't rate Osorio, but I think Vanney and TFC may have as much to do with his absence as Floro, despite team-mouthpiece Larson's claims to the contrary.

Larson writes press release type content for TFC & MLS. He is part of the segment of so-called journalist who sell their soul to gain access to the team personnel. I take anything he writes dimly.

Archived