Your 23-Man Roster for Belize series.

Hawkguy

LOL, Herc Gomez just took a shot at the team selection on twitter

And BTW, @OsoJ92 can’t get a run with the Canadian National Team? What a luxury. Qualifying is going to be a breeze for them.

LMFAO. seriously though

And to add to that...

@mitchelltierney: Vanney says he thinks Osorio deserves a spot on #CanMNT. I don't think he's going to find much argument there.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the tone of many posts on this thread you would think Floro chose not to call Messi. Osorio was not going to make or break these next two matches, in fact he wouldn't even have been a shoe-in to see any action at all. It's not hard to read between the lines of many of the posts though... it's just really really boring.

I think floro being confident that canada will get by Belize is leaving out osorio who should be on the team but may have demonstrated bad behaviour. Although this is fine, it is kinda transparent if he calls him in for the group stage. Kind of a pathetic disciplinary measure. Would be more effective to call him in and see how he acts while in camp because it's no secret that he deserves to be on the team....did you see him today against Montreal, like come on

By the tone of many posts on this thread you would think Floro chose not to call Messi. Osorio was not going to make or break these next two matches, in fact he wouldn't even have been a shoe-in to see any action at all. It's not hard to read between the lines of many of the posts though... it's just really really boring.

I haven't chimed in on this thread much at all, but I think it's still a continuation of his lineup choices during the Gold Cup.  I think there is some very real frustration with Floro, and his sometimes baffling player choices.

Good observation (re frustration) and I think it's something worth us continuing to discuss here. 

re Osorio. Not only did he set up the first (and to another degree second goal), he created the turnover on the first goal. He had a very good all around game IMO beyond just some dribbling and passing. For me it was a great match that showed how far he's coming along and while I'm happy he'll be in Seattle, it is a wrong move that he wasn't called up, especially in light of some of those who were.

It's not so much the not calling Osorio.  It's the calling of Bekker for a similar position that's shocking, and raises questions. Bekker can't even make the bench these days. There's no way he's game-fit. 

LOL, Herc Gomez just took a shot at the team selection on twitter

And BTW, @OsoJ92 can’t get a run with the Canadian National Team? What a luxury. Qualifying is going to be a breeze for them.

Since apparently we care about the opinions of mediocre MLS journeymen now, let's ask Eric Alexander and Robert Earnshaw for their thoughts on Floro's squad selection.

I haven't formed much of an opinion of Floro or Osorio, but the latter is not among Canada's 3 most important midfielders no matter how you slice it. This seems much ado about relatively little.

It doesnt matter that osorio wasnt going to make or break the next two matches. None of our players are capable of "making or breaking" these matches save maybe for hutch or larin if he gets hot.

It doesnt matter that he wasnt a shoe in to start.

It matters that based on his play he should be in the 22 man roster pushing those ahead of him to hold their place and competing in camp.

By that logic anyone outside of the starting 11 called up should just be random selection. May as well call up a bunch of L1O guys because they prob wont see the pitch.

And sorry this thread is "really really boring" to you. Maybe dont click on it and stick to the exciting threads.

Since apparently we care about the opinions of mediocre MLS journeymen now, let's ask Eric Alexander and Robert Earnshaw for their thoughts on Floro's squad selection.

I haven't formed much of an opinion of Floro or Osorio, but the latter is not among Canada's 3 most important midfielders no matter how you slice it. This seems much ado about relatively little.

I dont get this logic. He isnt one of our top 3 mid so who cares?

So whoever we call up outside our top 3 mids doesnt matter?

Nvm the fact that 2 of our 3 starting mids are over the age of 32 and wont be around forever.

Is bekker being groomed to take over? One injury to our top 3 mids and we're looking pretty thin. Id rather have oso there instead of bekker and even some others.

Ps. Since when is herc gomez journeyman mls?

True but since it seems our best mids often have injuries, it's important to have someone like Osorio on board. The Bekker over Oso is really tough to understand.

That being said, what scares me the most with Floro is the way he has our team defending free kicks. We are probably safe against Belize, but in the group phase I'm really worried about it, it's a disaster waiting to happen IMO.

That being said, what scares me the most with Floro is the way he has our team defending free kicks. We are probably safe against Belize, but in the group phase I'm really worried about it, it's a disaster waiting to happen IMO.

It does look strange (and dangerous) defending so deep, but have we given up many free kick goals in the Floro era? I honestly don't recall. Poor memory for that sort of thing.

I'm still in shock from the Gold Cup, when Straith was already in the midfield, and then he subbed Hainault into a situation where we absolutely needed a goal.  Was he loading up for a set-piece situation, and trying to put all the big bodies that can execute headers in at once?  Maybe, but in my personal opinion that's a bad choice.

And I would say the same even if it had worked, just more people would argue with me!

Come to think of it, as I'm typing this, it was Osorio that got subbed off in that spot.

Yeah, he wasn't the only one throwing a bit of a fit...I was too....

You know, I hate to double post, but to moderate what I just said a little bit, I still have some faith in our program and Floro in that if we actually peak at the right time (during qualification) we have a chance.  If everything, player selection, choices, everything...if it's all preparation to peak at the right time, which is qualifying...fine

But we don't have that long to wait to find out lol

It does look strange (and dangerous) defending so deep, but have we given up many free kick goals in the Floro era? I honestly don't recall. Poor memory for that sort of thing.

I don't think we have given many but I can tell you that we gave numerous opportunities from them. So, I feel like it's  a disaster waiting to happen.

I was at the first Mauritania friendly in Oliva, Valencia, and they were doing it then, defending the free kicks very deep. 

There are two theories. You push up and force the opposing team out of your area, push them offside. But you have to be careful to watch players onside and you end up defending back-peddling. Or you stay deep, the ball in front of you, and you are positionally comfortable between your mark and the goal. Floro obviously prefers this latter system, which many consider a bit pre-modern or for lesser teams, but you can't say we have executed it badly. 

If you watch teams defending up high, with attackers getting behind them and frequent errors from linesmen, with the keeper more exposed, you would conclude that it is extremely risky as well. But it does seem to be the way most more advanced teams are defending in recent years.

Just to keep things stirred up. Occean has 11 goals this season, four penalties, the most of any other player in Norway. Without the penalties he is not even in the top 15 of Norway league scorers.

For one of the top 20 scorers in Norway the earth has moved, objects no longer fall to the ground and major paradigm changes are taking place obliging us to tear down entire football laboratories to build new ones where the earth now moves around its oceans.

Rob, if "ergo decedo" became a popular internet thing, people would use it in almost every internet argument.  As it applies to almost every internet argument.  It would only be a week until it started being improperly used.  All your slopes are slippery when the "Internet Debate Team" presents itself.

I was at the first Mauritania friendly in Oliva, Valencia, and they were doing it then, defending the free kicks very deep.

There are two theories. You push up and force the opposing team out of your area, push them offside. But you have to be careful to watch players onside and you end up defending back-peddling. Or you stay deep, the ball in front of you, and you are positionally comfortable between your mark and the goal. Floro obviously prefers this latter system, which many consider a bit pre-modern or for lesser teams, but you can't say we have executed it badly.

If you watch teams defending up high, with attackers getting behind them and frequent errors from linesmen, with the keeper more exposed, you would conclude that it is extremely risky as well. But it does seem to be the way most more advanced teams are defending in recent years.

See this seems to be a common thread throughout most of the 'criticism' threads and posts - 'There can be no good reason for this and therefore the people making the decision(s) are idiots.'

There is nothing wrong with criticism, in fact it's one of the primary functions of message boards, but often the quality of the criticism suffers due to the above over reaction. To add to the difficulty, when it's pointed out, people seem more inclined to respond personally than to address the criticism (and admittedly it starts with personal attacks too sometimes).

It's a bit sad to be honest.

Just to keep things stirred up. Occean has 11 goals this season, four penalties, the most of any other player in Norway. Without the penalties he is not even in the top 15 of Norway league scorers.

False, as for that to be true you also have to take away the penalties of everyone else in the top 15, which you didn't do in order to make your argument.  Your point stands, though,in that he drops out of the top ten.  I also become annoyed by penalty takers getting full credit for goals that are much easier to obtain, especially as it is too often the case that someone else actually EARNED the opportunity.

TFC announcers making a huge hash out of Altidore getting 2 goals last week, or 3 goals in two games is an immediate example.

Rob, if "ergo decedo" became a popular internet thing, people would use it in almost every internet argument. As it applies to almost every internet argument. It would only be a week until it started being improperly used. All your slopes are slippery when the "Internet Debate Team" presents itself.

I'm afraid I don't follow Ryan. My point was that the 'If you don't like it you should just leave' argument ignores the point of the criticism which I believe was (although I'm paraphrasing someone else so might not have it quite right) that there is a lot of over-criticism that would benefit from a change in tone. It was a criticism that didn't seem to be made with ill intent, and IMHO, a valid one.

Is that so wrong? And would it be so difficult to respond to the criticism with either an acknowledgement or a rebuttal? That would be better than 'if you don't like it get out'.

Archived