Russell Teibert

Grizzly

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:15 PM, dsqpr said:

But he was not the only one with that flaw -- no doubt a hold over from the Floro possession era. Well, we won the posession game but the other guys are in the semis.

I saw that before Floro's tenure.  I can remember that friendly vs CR in Edmonton in 2013 where we had a few big possession stretches but couldn't produce anything.  I think our best chances came from set plays.

• 3 months later...

Good to see the Whitecaps getting a big result tonight, but looking at the line up, if I'm Russell Tiebert - a first team player for 7 full seasons, about to turn 25 - and not making the game day 18 when it matters... I'm asking for trade. Robinson's not going anywhere, and he clearly doesn't rate Russell. I remember when was the teams leading assist getter, and I still think he's got a lot more to give and can prove he's an MLS starter, at least as good as guys who he's loosing his spot to, (e.g. Jacobson), but he hasn't been a regular starter since 2015 (arguably 2014) and he needs to get out of Vancouver.

2 minutes ago, A_Gagne said:

Good to see the Whitecaps getting a big result tonight, but looking at the line up, if I'm Russell Tiebert - a first team player for 7 full seasons, about to turn 25 - and not making the game day 18 when it matters... I'm asking for trade. Robinson's not going anywhere, and he clearly doesn't rate Russell. I remember when was the teams leading assist getter, and I still think he's got a lot more to give and can prove he's an MLS starter, at least as good as guys who he's loosing his spot to, (e.g. Jacobson), but he hasn't been a regular starter since 2015 (arguably 2014) and he needs to get out of Vancouver.

Agreed. It's a shame, but Russell needs to find a new club.  I think he could still perform at this level, but he's nowhere near the lineup at Vancouver anymore. There are too many players ahead of him.

They have a huge roster. Can't see him being on the protected list. Might well be on the waivers. 

If he is at the caps next year he has given up on football and is phoning it in. Robinson clearly doesn't rate him as more than a squad player, although the fact he is a domestic might push them to retain him. 

This will be the third off season in a row I have hope Tiebert moves on. I think he had so much potential and ability that has been wrecked by the whitecaps moving him centrally in a defensive role. Wouldn't be shocked to see him as a marquee player in the CPL in 19. 

56 minutes ago, toontownman said:

They have a huge roster. Can't see him being on the protected list. Might well be on the waivers. 

If he is at the caps next year he has given up on football and is phoning it in. Robinson clearly doesn't rate him as more than a squad player, although the fact he is a domestic might push them to retain him. 

This will be the third off season in a row I have hope Tiebert moves on. I think he had so much potential and ability that has been wrecked by the whitecaps moving him centrally in a defensive role. Wouldn't be shocked to see him as a marquee player in the CPL in 19. 

I agree that Teibert should leave Whitecaps, but it could be harder than it looks. There were whisperings back in the summer that Minnesota wanted him, but they set a heavy price.

Remember that unless he's out of contract (not sure when his contract expires) he has no leverage. If the Whitecaps want to keep him and let him rot in the training ground, they can. One would think the club would not do that, but they seem to want him around for photo ops and humanitarian work as opposed to what he brings on the pitch

19 minutes ago, shermanator said:

I agree that Teibert should leave Whitecaps, but it could be harder than it looks. There were whisperings back in the summer that Minnesota wanted him, but they set a heavy price.

Remember that unless he's out of contract (not sure when his contract expires) he has no leverage. If the Whitecaps want to keep him and let him rot in the training ground, they can. One would think the club would not do that, but they seem to want him around for photo ops and humanitarian work as opposed to what he brings on the pitch

it actually does end this season

56 minutes ago, badname22 said:

it actually does end this season

Well that's good news then. Hopefully his domestic-league-wide status lands him with another MLS club.

I wonder if the Impact would take a crack at him given their need to rebuild their midfield. Not that he would replace Piette at DM, but maybe he could be of use on the wing.

On 10/25/2017 at 9:58 PM, A_Gagne said:

Most Whitecaps fans have been saying this for 2 seasons now.

6 hours ago, shermanator said:

Well that's good news then. Hopefully his domestic-league-wide status lands him with another MLS club.

I wonder if the Impact would take a crack at him given their need to rebuild their midfield. Not that he would replace Piette at DM, but maybe he could be of use on the wing.

His move into a central DM role has been a failure. Perhaps it was worth a shot as it allowed him to use his best attribute, which was his endurance and ability to run around endlessly. But his understanding of the game in that position was never up to par and I don't think he is the spry 20 year old that could run for days anymore either. His passing was always too negative as well.

He had his best success in MLS as a wide player where he could use his second best attribute, which was crossing the ball. He was part of a very effective front three with Camilo and Kenny Miller. Playing on the right, he would cut in on his left foot and provide great service. After one strong season, he took a minor step back the next, and pundits started to say that defenses figured him out as a player. While that may have been true, injuries and then the change in position didn't allow the opportunity for a young player to work through those growing pains. 

It may be too late for him to return to that level, but I really hope that he finds a new opportunity.

5 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

How much could the whitecaps possibly be asking for him!? He's played 12 games this season and in such a deep midfield his playing time situation will not get any better next season if he stays

Yet again that's the only club he's known so it would be weird to see him elsewhere 

Problem with buying Russell Teibert, he’s worth as a homegrown too, so wouldn’t count in an MLS’s team salary cap, were he to move.  Caps obviously want a decent amount of TAM, GAM and cash allocation for what Teibert brings to a team’s books, regardless of his onfield play.  Minnesota thought the price was steep and didn’t get him.  He’s a free agent next season and his stock is really low, so I doubt he has much leverage for a salary increase contract with other MLS teams.  He would leave at this point for playing time than just financial security.

Edited by nolbertos

7 hours ago, nolbertos said:

Problem with buying Russell Teibert, he’s worth as a homegrown too, so wouldn’t count in an MLS’s team salary cap, were he to move.  Caps obviously want a decent amount of TAM, GAM and cash allocation for what Teibert brings to a team’s books, regardless of his onfield play.  Minnesota thought the price was steep and didn’t get him.  He’s a free agent next season and his stock is really low, so I doubt he has much leverage for a salary increase contract with other MLS teams.  He would leave at this point for playing time than just financial security.

Yeah, but (I think) with league wide domestic status, enough MLS games under his belt and likely about to enter his prime I'm sure he'll land somewhere at least MLS level.

On 26/10/2017 at 6:58 AM, A_Gagne said:

What was incredible is that after the game, in the press conference, Robinson complements De Jong and says along with Teibert he is one of the better tactical players on the team. Surreal.

On 10/27/2017 at 12:31 AM, A_Gagne said:

Thought it was worth saying again.

Didn't mean to come off snarky. Only meant to imply that what is obvious now, should have been obvious to those in the organization a couple of seasons ago. And Teibert's potential development has stalled because of it.

18 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

What was incredible is that after the game, in the press conference, Robinson complements De Jong and says along with Teibert he is one of the better tactical players on the team. Surreal.

Yes, and after Laba went down, all that tactical awareness didn't stop Robo from bringing in not one but 2 central midfielders, instead of giving Teibert a shot at winning the spot... that's what he really thinks of Russ.

Edited by A_Gagne

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

What is killer too is that Tchani is very poor, and the Egyptian is garbage, IMO, neither should be on the field, they are an embarrassment to the game and bring the whole team down. Another day I can reiterate all the reasons I believe so.

I thought the same thing watching the last few Caps matches, like most on here I want to see Canadians play no matter what team they are on, I watched last night's match just to see how DeJong did, I thought he once again had a solid game! I am not a big enough fan to watch other MLS matches not involving Canadians, from my viewpoint Teibert has got a raw deal there!

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

What is killer too is that Tchani is very poor, and the Egyptian is garbage, IMO, neither should be on the field, they are an embarrassment to the game and bring the whole team down. Another day I can reiterate all the reasons I believe so.

Ghazal is one dimensional. But he is a beast and exactly what the whitecaps need. The Caps midfield can’t keep the ball, nor are they great at defending. Tchani is the obvious one, but the others aren’t great at defending either. Next game, try counting the number of times that Ghazal covers for the poor defending of Tchani or the others. He is everywhere on defence, much like tiebert is, but ghazal is bigger, stronger, and doesn’t overcommit like tiebert. 

I do agree with your assessment of Tchani though. The guy can’t pass, can’t tackle, and is always out of position. Tiebert would bring more ball control and tighter defensive marking. The only thing Tchani can do is run, and tiebert can do that too.

22 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Ghazal is one dimensional. But he is a beast and exactly what the whitecaps need. The Caps midfield can’t keep the ball, nor are they great at defending. Tchani is the obvious one, but the others aren’t great at defending either. Next game, try counting the number of times that Ghazal covers for the poor defending of Tchani or the others. He is everywhere on defence, much like tiebert is, but ghazal is bigger, stronger, and doesn’t overcommit like tiebert. 

I do agree with your assessment of Tchani though. The guy can’t pass, can’t tackle, and is always out of position. Tiebert would bring more ball control and tighter defensive marking. The only thing Tchani can do is run, and tiebert can do that too.

I agree with your points, with the exception that Tchani is clearly a better shield of the backline IMO. Like many of Robbo's favorite players, Tchani plays because Tchani is "safe". Sure, Tiebert presses harder, but he's killed the Caps with his positioning and isn't really an improvement as a distributor. Tiebert's issue is that he is a two-way midfielder on a team that has no interest in build-up play, and isn't good enough at defending or attacking to be a permanent option at the 6 or 10. He needs a transfer.

Edited by harrycoyster