Marco Bustos to Chile U-20

Lord Bob

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's very simple madmonte... just don't be a traitor.

Ethan Finlay should play for the USA first and foremost x100000 but if there is no interest he is within his right to come to us, as we are in our right to take him in. 

If Finlay had played for the US and they were still calling but he came to us that would be a snake move.  Thus making him a prick/traitor because he has chosen to abandon his country when he had the option not to. 

It's very very black and white.  Just look at Alain Rochat... does anyone call him a traitor?  Of course not because he never played for us or pretended he was going to and he lived most of his life in Switzerland. 

Bunbury? Played for our U20s and we never lost interest in having him on the MNT (well before the USA came calling) but he held out and jumped anyway. Similar to Bustos except at least Bunbury lived in the States.  Traitor.

Jono De Guzman ?  We wanted him all along years before he was a dutch citizen and he jumped, even when they weren't calling..  Not to mention the whole 2012 cycle fiasco...  Traitor.  

Begovic?  Played for our U20s and stopped answering the phone before suiting up for Bosnia.  Traitor.

Junior Hoilett?  Has never committed to anyone either way even at the youth level even though Canada should be his clear choice it's not like he has played for anyone else.  NOT a traitor.

The Canadians who play(ed) for Guyana last cycle?  Most definitely not traitors as they had no chance with us so decided to help their roots.

^ Disagree. Marco Bustos is not Chilean in any meaningful way. Under no circumstances should he be allowed to play for them. If he was some scrub, not good enough for Canada, but with some kind of St Kitts parentage and they came calling, same deal.

At the bare minimum, residence in a country at some point and some length should be a requirement to represent said country.

It shouldn't be some twisted auction where the country with the strongest claim to a player gets first dibs.

By that measure, Will Johnson and Marcel de Jong shouldn't be on our national teams. I'm ok with that.

Can someone explain to me what you need to qualify for playing for a country?

I played against his Dad when I was kid and unless he moved to Winnipeg when he was

very young. I thought he was from Winnipeg as well.

I've heard of some south americans playing in italy getting Italian citizenship through GREAT grandparents. i think as long as you can get citizenship you can play for the country. so it depends on how strict the citizenship laws of the country are

(shrugs) I like the way this argument is going.  At least now people are being honest with themselves and the situation.  Not everyone is going to have the same opinion, and that is respectable, but there has been so much shaking fists at clouds going on in these forums over the last few days (perhaps myself included) that it's almost been frustrating to read.

Ironically, the most rational thought is what has come in the last page...love of sports is irrational.

I would further argue that there is nothing more rational than loving Canada, which in my opinion is an amazing country that I'm so proud to be a part of.  I can rationally state that I find it irrational to not represent us.

I'm confused now.  Time for my nap.

Fair enough. That's a good a reason. I guess I still enjoy the games, but Queen's Park with a bunch local guys playing pro soccer sounds more enjoyable to me.

Count me as another Vancouverite who would rather 'invest' in developing Canadians by supporting a club that actually gave Canadians playing time. 

Mad monte, No one is slagging Chile off in this Bustos saga. So if we accepted someone with similar ties to Canada, we should be ok with it. That sounds consistent to me. That may not be the consistency you were looking for, but it may help to ease your personal struggles on the issue. :)

I would further argue that there is nothing more rational than loving Canada, which in my opinion is an amazing country that I'm so proud to be a part of.  I can rationally state that I find it irrational to not represent us.

I'm confused now.  Time for my nap.

Damn right on that one. Our little subsection of humanity has given the world insulin, basketball and Oscar Peterson!!

Count me as another Vancouverite who would rather 'invest' in developing Canadians by supporting a club that actually gave Canadians playing time. 

You may want to check out the links in the other thread

http://www.thevoyageurs.org/index.php?/topic/27163-csa-and-club-roles-responsibilities-quota/page-2

Some very interesting articles on different quota systems and their effects. 

Germany (similar to ours) has no restriction on who gets playing time but 8 players on the roster have to be locals. Russia guarantees playing time for Russians. 4 starters have to be Russian (soon 5). Germany's system is working great and Russia's is doing very poorly. 

The whole "give playing time" based on nationality doesn't appear to be working. I would like to see us go from 3 to 6-8 roster spots. 

I'd be interested in any info about other countries quota systems. 

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2014-07-09/why-germany-crushed-brazil

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2014-06-23/the-real-reason-for-russia-s-world-cup-loss

If you're a season ticket holder for the Caps, you can voice your concern to the front office about Bustos.

I hope some sort of protest is made by Voyageurs who support the Caps via letters / calls and signs at the game.  And what can we do about it?  If the Voyageurs leadership could draw up a letter that could be electronically signed (put on the board for all viewers to e-sign) and sent to the CSA that demands some action.  It sounds like this punk could be the perfect example of what happens when you betray your national program (as it sounds like he fits somewhere in the middle of our youth depth in skill / talent).  Accept the call up from another team and be banned for life, funding stopped immediately and although probably not enforceable, send an "invoice" for all the funding he's received so far.

I hope some sort of protest is made by Voyageurs who support the Caps via letters / calls and signs at the game.  And what can we do about it?  If the Voyageurs leadership could draw up a letter that could be electronically signed (put on the board for all viewers to e-sign) and sent to the CSA that demands some action.  It sounds like this punk could be the perfect example of what happens when you betray your national program (as it sounds like he fits somewhere in the middle of our youth depth in skill / talent).  Accept the call up from another team and be banned for life, funding stopped immediately and although probably not enforceable, send an "invoice" for all the funding he's received so far.

I would sign a Voyageurs petition.  I think at some level, whether anything is done or not, it should be noted that this is not OK.  

I'm going to make a prediction here: Bustos will play for Canada and eventually be capped at the senior level. 

Same with Fraser Aird. 

I think you're probably right, if only because he'll never be good enough for Chile.

According to JR Eskilson from Equalizer Soccer, Marco Bustos is not on the Chile roster. Chile called 22 players and they had to cut 2 players from their initial roster to make a final 20-man roster, and Bustos didn't make it. I think that they just wanted to have a look at the players through training. I wouldn't be surprised that the Chilean federation wanted to have a look at both North American based players to see if they would fit on that team, but it would have been unfair to make U20 players fly 13+ hours from Chile to watch guys who have flown for 3 hours to get there. I wouldn't be surprised that the only way that Bustos would have played was if one of the 20 other players got injured.

https://twitter.com/JREskilson/status/488907715767324672

Had a word with Bustos today at Swangard. I asked him rather bluntly, "So, are you going to play for Canada?" and he gave me the same Lennon-to-Chapman look that OH gave me when he was training in the park behind my house a few years back, that kind of  "oh, damn, this guy KNOWS" look. Once he got his guard up and realised I was serious, he said, "I'm not sure, but I think so."  

Had a word with Bustos today at Swangard. I asked him rather bluntly, "So, are you going to play for Canada?" and he gave me the same Lennon-to-Chapman look that OH gave me when he was training in the park behind my house a few years back, that kind of  "oh, damn, this guy KNOWS" look. Once he got his guard up and realised I was serious, he said, "I'm not sure, but I think so."  

Amazing, "I'm not sure, I think so."

Amazing, "I'm not sure, I think so."

Yep, and it was said with the tone of,"It sucks, but it looks like I might have no other choice." Interestingly enough, I asked Alderson a similar question, but about cracking the senior team and he was perfectly humble and hopeful; the difference was like night and day. Bryce, Carducci and Teibert were all happy and very polite about signing my Canada jersey today. I wish they all were raised like those boys.

Archived