Marco Bustos to Chile U-20

Lord Bob

Two words on this: Marc Bircham!  I know we can be hypocritical on here, I hate losing Canadians to other countries, there aren't many situations where the player may not be good enough for Canada but has other options and on the rare occasion it may arise it doesn't bother me as much if that player explores his or her options!

Chalk and cheese.

If there's a Canadian-born player who has no chance to make our national team and wants to go play for East Timor, I couldn't give a rat's backside.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never heard of Daniel Sequira until reading this thread, but I feel I should be consistent here. Daniel Sequira can fuck off. If he ever puts on an MNT kit, it will be too soon.

A part of the reason why there is a firestorm over Bustos vs a "meh" reaction over Sequira is that Marco Bustos received government funding to represent Canada in his chosen spot. Sequira, to my knowledge, did not. 

I still don't like it but Agree 100% with your reasoning, also he is going to a Country much lower ranked than Canada.

Just to clarify: if in 5-6 years this guy is toiling in USL Pro then i would have no problem with his move. If Lavery had waited a couple of years he probably would have got called to our MNT by now, so i do have issue with him and also what Sequeira is doing now.

Agreed.  This is a FIFA issue when a born and raised Canadian qualifies for another country through heritage.  Not everyone can play internationally.  Switching to another country (with which you have only tenuous links) just because you want to play international football, should not be a right.

Young Mr Sequira either has no confidence in his ability to make future Canadian national teams or huge confidence he can make Nicaragua into a force in CONCACAF.  Otherwise, I don't see how switching to a country much lower ranked than even Canada advances his international prospects.  Sure he might play a few early round WC qualifiers but has little hope of much else.

I too, would like to have seen him continue to improve himself and vie for a spot on future Canadian rosters.  However, if it's not for him let the guy switch and we'll see just how far it takes him.  (Not very far, I suspect.)

I'm thinking this kid just wants to play, and he's given up his chance with Canada. Nicaragua's soccer program would envy ours. It's only recently that the country has adopted soccer. Baseball and Boxing have always been king. 

The only club worth seeing is Real Esteli and they are clearly miles away from the competition. The change is clearly seen on the streets where kids are wearing Messi shirts and not Derek jeter ones. The fields are full of kids playing soccer, but if Nicaragua has any dreams of qualifying, they are just that, dreams. 

Nicaragua's one big accomplishment in Soccer, is that there was one Nicaraguan on the Costa Rican's National team in Brazil. Duarte scored a beautiful header and was instrumental in how far they got, their last game he was suspended. However, Duarte grew up in Costa Rica under their soccer program, so he owes it to Costa Rica to play for them. In Nicaragua he is not villified for not playing for his country of birth but he's kind of a national hero. 

I just want to add that Nicaragua is in a very similar place that Canada is. Long history of football futility, overshadowed by the National pastime. The team is known for never quite getting there. Built on a solid defense with no real striker in sight. Alot of grassroots participation, but no real professional environment. Can sometimes be difficult to break down, but once the first goal goes in, it's pretty much a guaranteed loss. There is hope however, a few professional clubs are starting academies, and the demographics show Soccer will overtake Basball. 

The FA is ripe with Nepotism, and no real plan to take Nica from it's state of despair to soccer heaven.

As for Derrick Sequiera, I think the CSA should not be giving up on players as easily, who knows how far this kid can go. However, from Sequiera's point of view, playing for Canada and Nicaragua is not the path to glory, so why not go with the one that actually wants you around?! 

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I think the ship has sailed on him playing for Chile to be honest.  I'd be really surprised.  He's a big part of the Canadian U-20 team and the Canadian development programs.  He's a Canadian who's representing Canada so let's not dig this up again just because some Chile fanboys are tracking him.

I think Marco Bustos's Chilean ambitions have sailed. TBH, if Chile offered him 1st team minutes he would've taken it. He's playing for thr Nats by default now, not really first choice, but hey at least he's playing international futbol. Bustos is distinguishing himself on the USL WC II roster, but needs more seasoning to get better.

The only way Bustos can play for Chile is if he gets called to their MNT. He's too old for the 2017 U20 cycle and Chile have not qualified for next summers Olympics and he's too old for 2020. So chances are if he breaks into the Whitecaps first team he'll called to our MNT way before Chile notice him.

Archived