Marco Bustos to Chile U-20

Lord Bob

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a word with Bustos today at Swangard. I asked him rather bluntly, "So, are you going to play for Canada?" and he gave me the same Lennon-to-Chapman look that OH gave me when he was training in the park behind my house a few years back, that kind of  "oh, damn, this guy KNOWS" look. Once he got his guard up and realised I was serious, he said, "I'm not sure, but I think so."  

Well done!

I'm looking for the article, as I found it on twitter almost a year ago. In looking for that article I found Bustos making this statement 

"Estoy honrado y emocionado de haber sido convocado por Chile. Ahora, sólo quiero centrarme en ser el mejor jugador", complementó Bustos, aunque remarcó que "yo soy un canadiense orgulloso, pero también tengo orgullo de mi herencia chilena e italiana".

"Quiero lo mejor para mi crecimiento como jugador y la experiencia que esto me puede dar, al final, se me acaba de hacer un reproductor mejorado", reiteró, finalizando que "Yo no voy a cerrar ninguna puerta. He tenido experiencias increíbles con Canadá, como ir a la Copa del Mundo Sub 17 y todavía estoy tratando de tener grandes experiencias con Canadá".

Basically speaking about his selection to Chile

"I'm honoured and excited to have been called by Chile. For now, I just want to focus on becoming a better player. I am a proud Canadian, but I'm also proud of my Italian and Chilean heritage. I want the best for my development as a player and the experience this might afford me. to become a better producer. I don't want to close any doors. I've had incredible experiences with Canada, like going to U-17 World Cup, and I still am trying to have great experiences with Canada"

This whole episode seems to make the argument (made around these parts for years) about the value these international camps and tourneys can have in a youth players development.  Probably more psychological than physical but that's such a huge part of player development no?  

A precious commodity that has to be wisely spent in the areas of greatest potential return.  Bustos has shown that he might be a risky investment.  

So no Chile camp and no Milk Cup for young Master Bustos?  Wonder how he feels about the development advise the 'Caps staff gave him now?

Who knows?  Maybe this experience will light a fire under his ass and his development will rocket.  The footie Godz work in mysterious ways.

(Disclaimer;  To be fair it hasn't been mentioned anywhere that I've read if the 'Caps or Bustos' had any conversations with the CSA about Marco "taking in" a Chile camp, you know, for development purposes only and how the CSA in an official capacity responded. Some how I doubt it (this isn't your Kevin Pipe CSA anymore) but matters may have been confused by a squishy CSA response IF a conversation took place).

(Disclaimer;  To be fair it hasn't been mentioned anywhere that I've read if the 'Caps or Bustos' had any conversations with the CSA about Marco "taking in" a Chile camp, you know, for development purposes only and how the CSA in an official capacity responded. Some how I doubt it (this isn't your Kevin Pipe CSA anymore) but matters may have been confused by a squishy CSA response IF a conversation took place).

It really is a shame that we have such a limp media that covers soccer in this country. Would have really liked to have seen someone dig up more on this story.

It really is a shame that we have such a limp media that covers soccer in this country. Would have really liked to have seen someone dig up more on this story.

I agree, their has been little or no discussion of this in the media. Even some blogs and podcasts devoted to Vancouver Whitecaps or Canadian soccer have ignored this story. Having a Canadian born/raised prospect being developed completly through the Canadian system with financial help still trying to defect is a serious issue that should not be taken lightly.

As for those saying defecting from Canada being good for his career, I thought it was stupid to begin with considering he was not good enough to be a sure starter in Canada's U-20 program. Now the only thing he has done is given himself a bad reputation in Canada. He has shot himself in the foot.

"hablé con mi familia y mis entrenadores y el grupo de apoyo cercano que tengo. Nos pareció que era una buena oportunidad y una buena experiencia de aprendizaje para mí como un jugador joven

http://www.elgraficochile.cl/quien-es-marco-bustos-el-tapado-de-la-roja-sub-20-por-el-que-se-lamentan-en-canada/prontus_elgrafico/2014-07-09/223946.html

He says here that " I spoke with my family and my trainers, and my close support group that I have. We thought that it was a good opportunity and a good experience and training for me as a young player"

"hablé con mi familia y mis entrenadores y el grupo de apoyo cercano que tengo. Nos pareció que era una buena oportunidad y una buena experiencia de aprendizaje para mí como un jugador joven

http://www.elgraficochile.cl/quien-es-marco-bustos-el-tapado-de-la-roja-sub-20-por-el-que-se-lamentan-en-canada/prontus_elgrafico/2014-07-09/223946.html

He says here that " I spoke with my family and my trainers, and my close support group that I have. We thought that it was a good opportunity and a good experience and training for me as a young player"

I of course speculate but that statement doesn't really read as though it indicates anyone connected with the CSA youth program.  Unless of course there are a number of trainers with the national program also employed by the Whitecaps academy as well.  Seems a very "localized" decision. 

I don't believe any of the CSA programs outside of actually tourneys have frequent enough contact with their player pool to qualify as part of anyone's regular training team.   

I'm looking for the article, as I found it on twitter almost a year ago. In looking for that article I found Bustos making this statement 

"Estoy honrado y emocionado de haber sido convocado por Chile. Ahora, sólo quiero centrarme en ser el mejor jugador", complementó Bustos, aunque remarcó que "yo soy un canadiense orgulloso, pero también tengo orgullo de mi herencia chilena e italiana".

"Quiero lo mejor para mi crecimiento como jugador y la experiencia que esto me puede dar, al final, se me acaba de hacer un reproductor mejorado", reiteró, finalizando que "Yo no voy a cerrar ninguna puerta. He tenido experiencias increíbles con Canadá, como ir a la Copa del Mundo Sub 17 y todavía estoy tratando de tener grandes experiencias con Canadá".

Basically speaking about his selection to Chile

"I'm honoured and excited to have been called by Chile. For now, I just want to focus on becoming a better player. I am a proud Canadian, but I'm also proud of my Italian and Chilean heritage. I want the best for my development as a player and the experience this might afford me. to become a better producer. I don't want to close any doors. I've had incredible experiences with Canada, like going to U-17 World Cup, and I still am trying to have great experiences with Canada"

What else is Bustos going to say to a Chilean reporter?

^ If his statement to a Chilean reporter was said in a bubble ie. he never took up their offer to attend a camp, you might have a point. But he travelled to California for a test drive so obviously it does matter in hindsight what he said to that reporter last year. In fact, given all the info. in this thread if this kid ever amounts to anything i'm guessing he would screw us over if given the chance.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this entire thing is being overblown. What makes Canada unique is the many different background our citizens share. Bustos is an excellent example of the many nationalities that make up our population. While he has benefitted immensely from the CSA I can't see this more than a one-off. The Chilean national program is far ahead of Canada meaning that the likelihood of him ever being capped and loosing Canadian eligibility is slim to none. We should see this as another experience for him to learn and grow in a foreign soccer culture. I know there will be naysayers to this but he's still young so this will only beneficial. 

I think this entire thing is being overblown. What makes Canada unique is the many different background our citizens share. Bustos is an excellent example of the many nationalities that make up our population. While he has benefitted immensely from the CSA I can't see this more than a one-off. The Chilean national program is far ahead of Canada meaning that the likelihood of him ever being capped and loosing Canadian eligibility is slim to none. We should see this as another experience for him to learn and grow in a foreign soccer culture. I know there will be naysayers to this but he's still young so this will only beneficial. 

I counter by saying that this entire thing has shown that Marco Bustos can fuck off. If he ever puts on an MNT kit, it will be too soon.

I counter by saying that this entire thing has shown that Marco Bustos can fuck off. If he ever puts on an MNT kit, it will be too soon.

The fact you are telling an 18 year old to fuck off is ridiculous, this is just another opportunity for him to develop. He's a Caps player who most likely won't be signing a homegrown contract, this is just another positive way to keep developing...

The fact you are telling an 18 year old to fuck off is ridiculous, this is just another opportunity for him to develop. He's a Caps player who most likely won't be signing a homegrown contract, this is just another positive way to keep developing...

If he wants to play for Chile, this is the wrong forum to find people that will be applauding him for taking "another positive way to keep developing"

this is just another opportunity for him to develop. He's a Caps player who most likely won't be signing a homegrown contract, this is just another positive way to keep developing...

No your wrong, dead wrong.

You don't "develop" with National teams, thats what clubs are for. You want to "try out" for a few different clubs and be non committal, that's fine.

National teams, you play for pride, for the place that deep in your heart you feel proud to pull on the jersey and represent that country on the world stage.

I get that some people in todays society may struggle identifying just one place, one home and that's fine.

But, there is no way in hell I, or a lot of people on this board will tolerate someone pretending to be Canadian when it suits them. He made a choice to represent Canada, he made a choice to take a spot away from someone else who is a proud Canadian. He made a choice to take money from the Canadian government that is supposed to go to Canadian athletes who are supposed to be representing Canada. 

Bustos was given an opportunity by Canada and Canadian soccer, only to suddenly feel more Chilean and want a taste of something else.

That is an insult to every Canadian he played with, every Canadian he may play with again (if that happens). 

So no it hasn't been overblown, this is a Canadian supporters forum, what do you expect. 

Bustos should apologize to Canada, but even more important he owes an apology to all the other Canadians he has played with.

I hope the CSA has cut him off, until they get a statement from him saying it was the wrong thing to do. 

Archived