Marco Bustos to Chile U-20

Lord Bob

Vancouver Whitecaps Residency midfielder Marco Bustos, born and raised in Winnipeg, played for Canada at the U-17 World Cup, now on the roster of Chile U-20 and proudly retweeting congratulations on his treason.

http://www.anfp.cl/noticia/21399/seleccion-sub-20-nomina-de-convocados-para-la-copa-ntc-usa-2014

Fuck. I know the Whitecaps won't do anything about this, but I wish they would.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. It's not a captieing (unless he has done his switch) activity, but still wow. I see that they've got a RSL player too. I wouldn't be surprised if it's only to get a look at players outside their system, but it's sad to see a player using our resources to play for Chile. I hope it's his last call-up for Chile.

if you have twitter don't be afraid to tweet him and express your thoughts on his decision

I don't have twitter, but for those who do, please tweet him ... I want these guys to know that there are Canadian fans who are upset by these things. They may not give a shit, but what else can we do.

Young Canadian watches World Cup and gets inspired to play for their parents heritage rather than bringing Canada to that level.  What a joke.  The cycle continues. When will the Canadian soccer version of Jonathan Toews show up?

have a look at this video put out by COC on CANADIAN players' predictions on the world cup.... pay special attention at 33 seconds and 1:22 "my other half italy" guy just sounds like a mercenary . This video was retweed by Bustos.

Oh ok. I don't really know much about twitter, but looks like all those replies are to the legionchilena account...

^ re: the video, i think his idol is Messi - but that might be something you want to tweet to every Chilean soccer fan on twitter!! LOL. Get him kicked out of the country before he even gets there...

Oh ok. I don't really know much about twitter, but looks like all those replies are to the legionchilena account...

^ re: the video, i think his idol is Messi - but that might be something you want to tweet to every Chilean soccer fan on twitter!! LOL. Get him kicked out of the country before he even gets there...

its a reply to the legionchlena account as well as bustos' personal account.

I'm a little confused though. at 1:20 he says his other half is Italian, meaning he's half italian and now half chilean and ZERO percent Canadian.... or was he still Canadian at the time. kid has no allegiance to anyone and will go with the flavour of the day.

Too many of these guys look at international football as an extension of club football and their "transferring" from national team to national team reflects that. Just disgusting, absolutely no respect for our country and the opportunities it has afforded him

its a reply to the legionchlena account as well as bustos' personal account.

I'm a little confused though. at 1:33 he says his other half is Italian, meaning he's half italian and now half chilean and ZERO percent Canadian.... or was he still Canadian at the time. kid has no allegiance to anyone and will go with the flavour of the day.

Too many of these guys look at international football as an extension of club football and their "transferring" from national team to national team reflects that. Just disgusting, absolutely no respect for our country and the opportunities it has afforded him

He could mean his girlfriend or something?

So what's the next step from here?

What are the Whitecaps going to do?  This all goes back to the Canadian domestic league conversation.. as one of 3 top level clubs in this country when most countries have about 20 the Whitecaps have roughly 7x the burden of developing Canadian players for the NT.  What is their response?  IMO it should be a swift "if you show up to that camp, you're done with us".

Seriously this is a very dumb and short sighted move by Bustos.  Playing for the Chilean U20 team is no guarantee for success and he'll be very very hard pressed to win a senior cap for them anytime soon.  Remember Pinto on Edmonton a few years back?  He was a U20 star for Chile and he is playing second division in Chile now.  So if we (Canada) throw him to the curb (Along with VWFC) and he has no future with Chile how dumb will he look?  DUMB. 

Do these people not have souls?  This is like taking a girl who was cheated on multiple times to your high school prom and making out with another girl on the dance floor.  If you knew there was the chance of you jumping ship from a program that has been continually shit on why would you commit? 

It's hilarious because I think we all remember watching a 14 year old Bustos training at the Manitoba national centre with Robert Gale and we all questioned whether he would jump... then he comes to Vancouver shines, gets a spot on the Canada U17 WC team and then JUST as he's poised to be a key player on GALE'S u20 team he jumps?!  What a fucking piece of shit.  Canada and Gale in particular have given him so much and he does this?

I tweeted him that I was disappointed that he did this after all Canada has done for him, and immediately un-followed him.  Honestly, he wasn't ever a lock to be a CMNT player, but at least had a better chance here than in Chile.  Please leave Canada, Bustos.  Get your money from a Chilean team, if that's how you feel.

Archived