Marco Bustos to Chile U-20

Lord Bob

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not quite a move of Bustosian proportions, but TFC twitter is reporting Derek Sequira, who was on the fringes of our past U17s or U18s has accepted an invitation to the Nicaraguan NT camp. 

What's the issue?  Are we not going to allow players who have no future with CMNT not play for other NT (in this case, weaker NT) now?  

What's the issue? Are we not going to allow players who have no future with CMNT not play for other NT (in this case, weaker NT) now?

A little early to write the kid off isn't it? Could go to NCAA and sign with TFC in a few years and become a depth player for MNT. If he accepts the call to their UNCAF camp and plays he would become permamently cap-tied.

A little early to write the kid off isn't it? Could go to NCAA and sign with TFC in a few years and become a depth player for MNT. If he accepts the call to their UNCAF camp and plays he would become permamently cap-tied.

Amount of talented kids coming from TFCA, I think that isn't going to be case.  Most likely Daniel realize his chance to play for Canada NT is slim, so he decided to accept camp invite from Nicaraguans hope to play in their program.  

Amount of talented kids coming from TFCA, I think that isn't going to be case.  Most likely Daniel realize his chance to play for Canada NT is slim, so he decided to accept camp invite from Nicaraguans hope to play in their program.  

You're such a TFC fan boy.  The world was coming to an end when Bustos, who I'd hardly call the future of Canada, played for Chile.  Supporters, coaches, owners and the Caps were all called out.  Threads were made about a flag in the crowd. 

Even chicken little thought it was a bit much.

Now comes along a participating member of the TFC academy and all of a sudden NBD.

He's Canadian born, has taken a spot from another Canadian at TFC, has taken a spot from another Canadian at U-17 and now has turned his back on his country.  Isn't that the criteria? 

Unbelievable. 

You're such a TFC fan boy.  The world was coming to an end when Bustos, who I'd hardly call the future of Canada, played for Chile.  Supporters, coaches, owners and the Caps were all called out.  Threads were made about a flag in the crowd. 

Even chicken little thought it was a bit much.

Now comes along a participating member of the TFC academy and all of a sudden NBD.

He's Canadian born, has taken a spot from another Canadian at TFC, has taken a spot from another Canadian at U-17 and now has turned his back on his country.  Isn't that the criteria? 

Unbelievable. 

You're such Whitecaps fanboy not to understand reason why this isn't an issue.

If someone chances to play for NT is slim and some other NT invites you to their camp, do you take it?  

Even though Bustos got some competition for U-20 to be a starter , he's still gets called up regularly.  Daniel Sequira doesn't get call up and only made few appearances for Under 17 & 18.  That's it!   He's not even on Under 20 radar at all.     

Wow, I actually agree with VWFC. This is an 18 year old kid who still has a legitimate shot at making something of himself and people are ok because he's not getting called to the U20 camps? He's one of the top prospects in the TFC Academy and has his whole career ahead of him, this isn't Titus or Rrustemi giving up in their mid-20's...

I've never heard of Daniel Sequira until reading this thread, but I feel I should be consistent here. Daniel Sequira can fuck off. If he ever puts on an MNT kit, it will be too soon.

A part of the reason why there is a firestorm over Bustos vs a "meh" reaction over Sequira is that Marco Bustos received government funding to represent Canada in his chosen spot. Sequira, to my knowledge, did not. 

Daniel Sequira isn't on Canada's radar I think that is clear.  We could make 2 U20 teams before he would be in contention at this point.

Whoever Daniel Sequira is i'm sure he isn't good enough for either our A or B U20 teams, but there is no reason Derick Sequeira shouldn't be in the top 40 players in this player pool. How does a guy go from being on the U17 WC roster to not being on the radar in 12 months?

Whoever Daniel Sequira is i'm sure he isn't good enough for either our A or B U20 teams, but there is no reason Derick Sequeira shouldn't be in the top 40 players in this player pool. How does a guy go from being on the U17 WC roster to not being on the radar in 12 months?

He wasn't on the U17 WC roster.  And even if he was look at Soria on Ottawa who was on Spain's u17 team.

He wasn't on the U17 WC roster.  And even if he was look at Soria on Ottawa who was on Spain's u17 team.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-selects-21-for-the-fifa-u-17-world-cup-uae-2013-p155267

CANADA

GK- Marco Carducci | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Residency

GK- Christian Kaiswatum | CAN / Edmonton FC Academy

GK- Daniel Milton | ENG / Blackpool FC

CB- Alex Comsia | Unattached / sans club

CB- Mathieu Laurent | CAN / Mississauga

CB- Elias Roubos | CAN / Toronto FC Academy

FB- Kevon Black | CAN / Toronto FC Academy

FB- Eric Davies | USA / FC Dallas Academy

FB- Aron Mkungilwa | CAN / Académie Impact Montréal

M- Hanson Boakai | CAN / FC Edmonton

M- Adam Bouchard | URU / Defensor Sporting Club

M- Marco Bustos | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Residency

M- Mikaël Cantave | FRA / Union Sportive de la Jeanne d’Arc

M- Matthew Chow | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Residency

M- Marco-Leonel Dominguez | CAN / Académie Impact Montréal

M- Kianz Gonzales-Froese | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Residency

M- Jordan Haynes | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Residency

M- Jose Lopez | CAN / FC Edmonton Reserves

M- Ali Musse | CAN / WSA North Stars

M- Derick Sequeira | CAN / Toronto FC Academy

M- Nevello Yoseke | CAN / Académie Impact Montréal

F- Andrew Gordon | CAN / Woodbridge Strikers

F- Jordan Hamilton | CAN / Toronto FC Academy

F- El Mehdi Ibn Brahim | CAN / Braves d'Ahuntsic

The only other guys from TFC who made the team were Black, Roubos and Hamilton. Pretty good company.

I would have preferred a "My first choice is Canada so let's wait and see what happens" response from Sequeira. How many times has Canada been "put on hold" while a player finds out if they are good enough for another country?

Come on Derick, put Nicuragua on hold and let it be known Canada is your preference!  If is doesn't work out in the future, so be it, but at only 18 years old and a member of our last U17 World Cup squad, I'm not happy at all with this decision :/

I've never heard of Daniel Sequira until reading this thread, but I feel I should be consistent here. Daniel Sequira can fuck off. If he ever puts on an MNT kit, it will be too soon.

A part of the reason why there is a firestorm over Bustos vs a "meh" reaction over Sequira is that Marco Bustos received government funding to represent Canada in his chosen spot. Sequira, to my knowledge, did not. 

1.  Because his name is Derick, not Daniel.

2. Derick Sequeira did not receive any funding from government.  Bustos did.  Agreed about the difference in the firestorm.

3. Derick received very limited playing time in the Concacaf tourney. Yes Derick was on the preliminary roster for the world cup, but not the final one that actually played in it.  

What's the issue?  Are we not going to allow players who have no future with CMNT not play for other NT (in this case, weaker NT) now?  

I absolutely have an issue with this. If he's never lived in Nicaragua, under no circumstances should he be playing for them. Though my issue, I guess, is with FIFA as much as it is with the player.

Same reason I cringe every time we call up Pacheco.

I absolutely have an issue with this. If he's never lived in Nicaragua, under no circumstances should he be playing for them. Though my issue, I guess, is with FIFA as much as it is with the player.

Same reason I cringe every time we call up Pacheco.

Agreed.  This is a FIFA issue when a born and raised Canadian qualifies for another country through heritage.  Not everyone can play internationally.  Switching to another country (with which you have only tenuous links) just because you want to play international football, should not be a right.

Young Mr Sequira either has no confidence in his ability to make future Canadian national teams or huge confidence he can make Nicaragua into a force in CONCACAF.  Otherwise, I don't see how switching to a country much lower ranked than even Canada advances his international prospects.  Sure he might play a few early round WC qualifiers but has little hope of much else.

I too, would like to have seen him continue to improve himself and vie for a spot on future Canadian rosters.  However, if it's not for him let the guy switch and we'll see just how far it takes him.  (Not very far, I suspect.)

I can't wait to see how many other ways the resident TFC fanboys/Whitecaps' trolls manage to contort themselves to try convincing everybody that there is something reasonable in their hypocritical positions.

You're a f*ckin' retard.     ;) 

Two words on this: Marc Bircham!  I know we can be hypocritical on here, I hate losing Canadians to other countries, there aren't many situations where the player may not be good enough for Canada but has other options and on the rare occasion it may arise it doesn't bother me as much if that player explores his or her options!

Archived