Marco Bustos

7 hours ago, ThiKu said:

He looked good tonight in his 20 minutes. Much better than Rosales.

Very good touch and passing plus his running speed seems to have improved. He will never be as fast as others but he seemed a lot better than in previous appearances.

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

While I think Bustos is quite overrated on this board, I hope he can improve his game by getting far away from the Whitecaps. There seems to be a trend with highly rated Whitecaps prospects hitting a ceiling with the club (Teibert, Froese, Bustos, Adekugbe).

Out of all 4 of the Caps prospects, the one that showed good promise and was playing great, before he broke his leg, was Sam Adekugbe.  He was giving Harvey a run for his money and had Harvey benched most games.  He broke his leg and didn't recover his past form.  Froese and Bustos were given plenty of opportunity in training, WFC2, Voyageurs Cup games to shine and they played bland uninspiring soccer when they got the call to the staring eleven on the 1st team.  The only reason Tiebert is still with the club is his workmanlike demeanour, energizer bunny stamina and tries to improve his game.  Tiebert knows he lacks alot of qualities, but tries hard to make up for them, where he can.  I don't know if the past Caps coaching staff is the problem, but now that Earnshaw, Kah and Rosales have taken on youth coaching roles with the club over the past 3 years, we may see a different approach to developing higher quality players.

Edited by nolbertos

On 05/25/2017 at 3:59 AM, nolbertos said:

Out of all 4 of the Caps prospects, the one that showed good promise and was playing great, before he broke his leg, was Sam Adekugbe.  He was giving Harvey a run for his money and had Harvey benched most games.  He broke his leg and didn't recover his past form.  Froese and Bustos were given plenty of opportunity in training, WFC2, Voyageurs Cup games to shine and they played bland uninspiring soccer when they got the call to the staring eleven on the 1st team.  The only reason Tiebert is still with the club is his workmanlike demeanour, energizer bunny stamina and tries to improve his game.  Tiebert knows he lacks alot of qualities, but tries hard to make up for them, where he can.  I don't know if the past Caps coaching staff is the problem, but now that Earnshaw, Kah and Rosales have taken on youth coaching roles with the club over the past 3 years, we may see a different approach to developing higher quality players.

Stunned that a professional club would turn over youth coaching to three former players with, as far as I can tell, zero history of experience in youth training and development. And we wonder why we're on a wheel spinning but not moving forward as a footballing nation.

21 minutes ago, BCM1555362349 said:

Stunned that a professional club would turn over youth coaching to three former players with, as far as I can tell, zero history of experience in youth training and development. And we wonder why we're on a wheel spinning but not moving forward as a footballing nation.

Where exactly should such individuals gain experience in your opinion?

1 hour ago, BCM1555362349 said:

They might have done better but I wouldnt discount those guys immediately.  In plenty of sports retired pros go straight to minor league, college, youth setups.  One plus for these guys is at least they have come through high quality youth systems and played at high levels.  They might make good coaches.

Edited by Bison44

2 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

Everybody has to start somewhere.  Noone is born a youth coach and has immediate success.  I'll give an example.  Jose Pekerman, arguably the greatest successful youth coach in footballing history was an average player in Argentina.  After he had a serious injury he turned to coaching to support himself and moved up the ranks to where he is now.  Marcelo Bielsa, another successful coach was also an average player that decided to focus on you coaching in Newells Old Boys, worked his way to the top of the team and almost won a League title.  Those 3 ex players or soon to be that you mentioned have played in a national team environment that is better than Canada.  Earnshaw, Wales, Kah, Norway and Rosales, Argentina.  I'd rather they coach the Caps academy now than the likes of Dasovic, Stalteri, Dos Santos, Stephen Hart, or even Rob Gale.  

20 hours ago, nolbertos said:

Everybody has to start somewhere.  Noone is born a youth coach and has immediate success.  I'll give an example.  Jose Pekerman, arguably the greatest successful youth coach in footballing history was an average player in Argentina.  After he had a serious injury he turned to coaching to support himself and moved up the ranks to where he is now.  Marcelo Bielsa, another successful coach was also an average player that decided to focus on you coaching in Newells Old Boys, worked his way to the top of the team and almost won a League title.  Those 3 ex players or soon to be that you mentioned have played in a national team environment that is better than Canada.  Earnshaw, Wales, Kah, Norway and Rosales, Argentina.  I'd rather they coach the Caps academy now than the likes of Dasovic, Stalteri, Dos Santos, Stephen Hart, or even Rob Gale.  

Agree, but I'm sure they were not immediately handed the reigns but rather worked under experienced youth coaches. Of course, depends what we're talking about too.

Edited by BCM

On 5/25/2017 at 7:32 PM, BCM1555362349 said:

I asked once why on twitter why Stalteri was managing our u17 national team with no experience. I was asked where else they think he'll get it. Kudos to a guy like Earnshaw, at least he is coaching every day and working through his certifications at the same time. For sure being mentored by the older coaches.

22 hours ago, ThiKu said:

I asked once why on twitter why Stalteri was managing our u17 national team with no experience. I was asked where else they think he'll get it. Kudos to a guy like Earnshaw, at least he is coaching every day and working through his certifications at the same time. For sure being mentored by the older coaches.

I am of the school of thought that a career youth coach is better for the 14-18 year olds, when development is at a crucial stage. Someone in the mold of Bryan Klug. The novice can work with the under 23s. https://www.google.co.th/url?q=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Klug&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwj72p6btJHUAhXEPY8KHV72DNwQFggeMAY&usg=AFQjCNG0HrSSY2sG4gH9iA1LIoxX1LFD6w

Edited by BCM

• 1 month later...

Anybody know the Bustos situation update.  Someone on the Southsiders forum mentioned he wasn't in the WFC or WFC2 starting 18.  I think the club is either punishing him for trying to get himself transferred or the Caps want a transfer fee for his development at least.  Just seems that Bustos is gone as a Caps player.

Edited by nolbertos

It's too bad because Froese and Bustos were both the ones to watch for many years and it looks like both might be gone.

Though in terms of development, graduating a player that can play professionally (even if it's at a lower level that the first team MLS squad) is still a success.